PDA

View Full Version : Changing my IP address

GrandmaStabone
05-27-2005, 06:34 PM
A while back I saw a thread on changing your IP. I have not been able to find it with the search function. Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks

bobaloo23
05-27-2005, 06:45 PM
Not sure what the other thread said, but I'm assuming you're on Cable as dial up would change each time. If on Cable, your IP is technically supposed to be dynamic(changes), but they are usually "leased" for certain periods of time. One way that usually works is to turn off your cable modem for a period of time, may take a day or two, and then usually someone else will pick up your IP and you'll get a new one. When you go to bed, or are going to be out for a long period of time, try unplugging your modem and when you get home, plug it back it, and hopefully it will be changed. Before you plug it in, make sure to go under settings, and release the IP so that someone else can pick it up. That should do the trick.

[ QUOTE ]
A while back I saw a thread on changing your IP. I have not been able to find it with the search function. Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

VinnyTheFish
05-27-2005, 06:46 PM
this is what I found, but I did not do it. I have no idea if it does anything.

To change your dynamic IP address (like those with attbi and comcast) in Windows XP (in less than 60 seconds without additional software):

take note of your ip address beforehand to verify your changes. (if you can't figure out how to do that, you probably shouldn't do this.)

First, at the command prompt, (start, run, command) type:

ipconfig /release (then enter, of course)

you can type EXIT at this point
(just renewing it doesn't do it)

Go to your tcp/ip properties (right click on my network places, select 'properties' from the list)

go to the properties of the local area connection (again, right click, properties)

double-click on internet protocol tcp/ip.

(you should be at tcp/ip properties at this point. you'll be back here in less than a minute so remember where it is.)

under the "general" tab, select the radio button that says "use the following ip address"

in the ip address field, use a "undefined" (and thus, unused) ip address (such as 10.1.1.1) by mouse-clicking into each field and entering the corresponding number. below that is the gateway and by default, if you hit TAB, it will fill with 255.0.0.0. if not, do so.

click okay, then okay again on the aforementioned local areas connections properties. this will put you back into the network connections folder. from here, start again, getting back to tcp/ip properties (don't remember? follow the steps above). this time, select "obtain ip address automatically". Click okay, then okay again. after you've verified that the address has been changed (double click on your local area connection icon and look at the support tab), feel free to close the network connections folder.

Poof! your ip address has changed and you can log back on to that banned game room (or whatever).

Remember, this doesn't protect you from being tracked by those that have the resources to do so. your network card has a unique id (MAC Address) that your ISP has tied to each ip address you use with their service.

i'm just running this off by memory, so feel free to offer any corrections. should be fine... i've done it bunches. hit me with any "fixes".

laterz

black_robe

cross-posted at: http://www.whatismyipaddress.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=61

joshman1204
05-27-2005, 06:55 PM
surely anyone who is doing something that they dont want to be traceable is doing some sort of MAC cloning.

bobaloo23
05-27-2005, 07:01 PM
Even if they clone the MAC, they will still show the IP address which can be traced back to them anyway. If someone is doing something that is so bad that they don't want it traced, then they should be smart enough to not do it from their home PC. IF they do something bad enough, nothing is going to stop them from being traced if they do it at home.

[ QUOTE ]
surely anyone who is doing something that they dont want to be traceable is doing some sort of MAC cloning.

[/ QUOTE ]

johnnymac
05-27-2005, 07:05 PM
I think it all depends on whether your ISP uses dynamic IP's or static ones. Mine, in the UK, uses dynamic ones, by switching off my modem for a few seconds (although sometimes it takes a few minutes) I get a new one. I use www.whatismyip.com (http://www.whatismyip.com) to check if it has changed or not.

Joe

moondogg
05-27-2005, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it all depends on whether your ISP uses dynamic IP's or static ones. Mine, in the UK, uses dynamic ones, by switching off my modem for a few seconds (although sometimes it takes a few minutes) I get a new one. I use www.whatismyip.com (http://www.whatismyip.com) to check if it has changed or not.

Joe

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the time ISPs will just reissue you the same IP you had before. Generally speaking, they decide when your IP changes, not you.

mcozzy1
05-27-2005, 07:13 PM
Use a proxy server.

johnnymac
05-27-2005, 07:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most of the time ISPs will just reissue you the same IP you had before. Generally speaking, they decide when your IP changes, not you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in the UK, which I probably should have said before, and I checked out my provider (BT Yahoo) which on their website said they used dynamic IP addresses. I change my IP fairly regularly, and out of about 50 times it has changed straight away probably about 45 times. The other 5 times it has taken 5 or 10 minutes to get a different IP.

I think by switching off my modem, I am hoping that someone else switches on, takes my previous address, meaning that I get issued with a new one.

Joe

moondogg
05-27-2005, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

Joe

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in the UK, which I probably should have said before, and I checked out my provider (BT Yahoo) which on their website said they used dynamic IP addresses. I change my IP fairly regularly, and out of about 50 times it has changed straight away probably about 45 times. The other 5 times it has taken 5 or 10 minutes to get a different IP.

I think by switching off my modem, I am hoping that someone else switches on, takes my previous address, meaning that I get issued with a new one.

Joe

[/ QUOTE ]

You're ISP may reassign IPs often, but that is not the norm.