PDA

View Full Version : Some general thoughts on my HUSH game of late.

ElSapo
05-27-2005, 04:42 PM
I recently started playing at a new site, where there isn't always a full game going at the limit I like. So I've been playing a lot of short-handed 3/6, and a fair amount of HU.

The swings in this kind of game are crazy for me - seems to go, one player wins 8 in a row, then the other wins 9 in a row. Obviously that's an exaggeration, but the swings are big.

I find myself calling down a lot, allowing more aggro players to bet what I hope is a two overs when I hold smaller pairs. This is fine, but I feel ill when they hit a draw and I didn't realize how live they were drawing (maybe open ended plus overs).

I think I'm not playing aggro enough, especially on the later streets, because I fear check-raises.

Lately I'm confused between attacking from the button, which is the BB heads-up (a mistake by the rules?) or attacking the BB out of position.

Against poorer, passive players -- and you find a lot of them waiting on full tables to fill -- I'm raising from my SB more because they fold the BB far too often. This morning I played against a player who I believe was more skilled, and instead began raising and three-betting from the BB button more.

To some extent, I feel like I have decent instincts for this game. Not like the heavyweight Mid-High posters instincts, but enough to hang where I am. On the other hand, some mornings I find myself wanting to pitch my mouse out the window.

Most of the players I see are too loose after the flop. I tend to not bluff-raise or bluff-CR much on the turn, because often they call that regardless. I'm much more inclined to value-bet these guys who are calling with any piece (and they're probably right to).

I'm slowly learning to recognize when an opponent is paying attention, and if so, how to change speeds.

For some irrational reason, I hate it when my opponent makes a flush. Who makes a flush heads up? That shouldn't even be allowed.

I'm still not very good, for a wide range of reasons.

The easiest players to beat are the ones who fold too much. Some players seem like they're only playing pairs and JT/QT+ ...

I rarely to do more than second-level thinking; I believe (maybe wrongly) this was a mistake only against a couple of players.

I most definitely am not value-betting the river enough, but this remains a problem with my full-ring game as well.

I could be wrong about all of this.

Just a bunch of thoughts lately...

ElSapo