PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to establish the perfect balance?

Atropos
05-27-2005, 02:31 PM
I am playing the NL 6-Max Games on Party. If I only raised AA and pushed it all-in every time, my EV would probably (hopefully) worse than if I raised the best 10% of my hands to 3 BB. In NL it seems to be very important that your opponents cannot read you very well, you have to mix up your game to achieve that effect.

Is it possible with some calculations to find a magical number of pfr%, where your opponents would rarely fold to your raise when you have AA, but would not necessarily play back to you when you raise 87s neither?

The same could be done for stuff like raising AKo and the flop is no overcards. How often should you bet, how often check-fold, how often check-raise to keep everything balanced and unpredictable? Best would be if some actions would be decided entirely random by a dice, so that your opponent cannot get a read on you.

Can something like this be done? How do I calculate such stuff? (suppose I know all variables like how often opponents coldcall, reraise preflop etc...)

dogmeat
05-28-2005, 01:14 PM
IMHO, what you are proposing is exactly what players do on a regular basis: based on what they have seen of other player's actions, they raise to either get callers, or to force out callers. Am I missing something?

If you are saying you want every possible hand against every possible opponent to be programmed into a computer and give you a "balanced" way of playing, then I say good luck, see you in 10 years when you are done with the preliminary work.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Atropos
05-29-2005, 06:20 AM
I dont think I understand what you mean, but here is what I want:

Say you know exactly how much +EV your top hands are, for example AA nets you 2.32 BB on average etc...

You want to know a pfr% where it doesnt matter if your opponents always fold to your raises (thus every hand is worth 0.75BB) or if they always call your raises, the profit would be the same because you have found the perfectly balanced number for raising preflop.

jjacky
05-29-2005, 10:56 AM
as far as i understand your question the answer is yes.

theoretically there must be at least one nash-equilibrium (like any zeru-sum game has if you define the possible actions liberally enough).

unfortunately the nash-equilibrium-strategy has two major flaws:
1. it's almost impossible to find one for a game as complex as no limite hold'em
2. the strategy that the nash-equilibrium suggests is the optimal strategy only if your opponents play perfect poker as well (what wont be the case of course).

here is the only good news about it: if you play a nash-equilibrium-strategy it is impossible for your opponents to beat you (EV wise).

i hope i have answered you question
jjacky