PDA

View Full Version : Another KK flops an A post. (Early in 10+1)

Insty
05-27-2005, 02:24 PM
Early in a $10+1 Tournament.
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG (t800)
UTG+1 (t770)
MP1 (t1640)
MP2 (t770)
MP3 (t775)
CO (t870)
Button (t955)
Hero (t785)
BB (t635)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls t15, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t70</font>, MP3 calls t70, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t340</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG folds, MP2 calls t280, MP3 folds.

Flop: (t800) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

What should I have done preflop? What do I do now?

djshawk
05-27-2005, 02:56 PM
I dont raise that much PF, I'd say 175-200 will do it. Your raise has pretty much tied you in, so I'd push the flop. I don't like this though, but he could easily be calling you with TT-JJ, I think at the 11's most people would push into your raise with AK or AA-QQ.

If you are going to raise that much PF then you might aswell push.

Take this with a grain of salt though, I suck.

Insty
05-27-2005, 04:40 PM
It just seems every time I push preflop in this situation everyone folds, so I can't complain that I got what I wanted. Maybe I do want everyone to fold here.

[ QUOTE ]
If you are going to raise that much PF then you might aswell push.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was pretty much my plan.

I either suck or am running bad, I can't tell at the moment.

djshawk
05-27-2005, 04:59 PM
That is why you need to raise LESS. Pushing when the blinds are this small is just nonsense. By raising less you dont commit yourself to the pot and somewhat disguise the strength of your hand.

If you raised this one up too 200 and he called, then you could play it from there. I'd probably stick a similar sized bet in on the flop and often you'll win the pot right there. If he calls then no more money is going in the pot unless another K comes. A raise and I'm gone.

Bigwig
05-27-2005, 05:32 PM
Preflop you should either raise less or push. Raising less gives you wiggle room after the flop. You don't have it now. I push and pray, cause you now NEED this pot.

durron597
05-27-2005, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you raised this one up too 200 and he called, then you could play it from there. I'd probably stick a similar sized bet in on the flop and often you'll win the pot right there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you want this if he doesn't have an A? Because I'd think he'd call/raise a flop bet if he called preflop with an Ace...

I would check-call small bets the flop/lead the turn no matter what falls and fold to a big bet/raise on either street.

45suited
05-27-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop you should either raise less or push. Raising less gives you wiggle room after the flop. You don't have it now. I push and pray, cause you now NEED this pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with raising less or pushing pre-flop. Now there's no room for any continuation bet - just a push. Question about the last sentence though: Is it really best just to push when you will only be called when beaten to a 2 outer? I know you're setting yourself up to be bluffed out of the pot, but I think I'd rather check / fold and double up later. Hero still has t445 and can get right back in it by doubling up later. If villain does not have an ace, maybe he'll be afraid to bluff you off your hand. Call me weak / tight, but t445 is enough of a stack to play with that I don't have to do a desperation push here.

45suited
05-27-2005, 06:17 PM
I expect to get flamed for this: We always talk about what absolute trash our bad opponents play in raised pots. Well, that needs to be taken into account here. You will NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS get a weak ace to fold by pushing here. What we can beat is a lower PP. Although I would check / fold (or call a small bet), I think check / calling a push is better than pushing here because you will pick off Jacks and Queens but they won't call your push.

Bigwig
05-27-2005, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Call me weak / tight, but t445 is enough of a stack to play with that I don't have to do a desperation push here.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is. I was thinking the blinds were higher. I seem to be making a lot of posts lately whilst ignoring key parts of the hand. Maybe I need a break.

lastchance
05-27-2005, 07:23 PM
I check-call down. Don't think I can laydown here, though if I did, I'd be proud with myself. Definitely raise less preflop.

Moonsugar
05-27-2005, 07:36 PM
Preflop: Raise less or go all in.

Now: You have to lose all your chips if he has an ace or TT after your all in.