PDA

View Full Version : Hand analysis, please

onthebutton
05-27-2005, 11:53 AM
Paradise Poker 0.10/0.20 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (16 SB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds.

Turn: (11.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls.

River: (24.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 folds, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Final Pot: 28.50 BB

Results in white below. I'm only posting this because I want advice on how I played, not because of the result.

<font color="white">*** SUMMARY ***
Pot: $5.45 | Rake: $0.25
Board: [ As 9h 4c 3c 2h ]
justanother2 lost $0.50 (folded)
claylakers lost $0.70 (folded)
mgk1191 lost $0.20 (folded)
RiverRidin lost $0.90 [ Ah 9c ] (two pair, aces and nines)
skunkanus didn't bet
SherlockH lost $0.90 [ 2d 2c ] (three of a kind, twos)
spankyk123 lost $0.70 (folded)
Vecky didn't bet (folded)
Hero bet $0.90, collected $5.45, net +$4.55 (showed hand) [ Ac 5c ] (a straight, ace to five)
zoppotrump lost $0.90 [ 4d 4s ] (three of a kind, fours) </font>

AmarilloJim1
05-27-2005, 12:02 PM
Since you only have a backdoor flush on the flop, I think a bet would have been good here...to eliminate some players...you don't want them drawing out on you. Maybe a raise on the turn; however, a smooth call builds the pot if you were to hit a draw. Just my thoughts.

- Jim

MrWookie47
05-27-2005, 12:28 PM
I was initially going to say check/raise the flop to face the bulk of the field 2 cold rather than check/call, but the pot is so ridiculous at that point that you can't give gutshots improper odds. Button doesn't necessarily have an A, but in this huge field, there's still a chance you're dominated, and you can't protect your hand. Calling is fine.

On the turn, you have 12 outs, giving you roughly 24% pot equity. With 5 opponents, you can actually bet/raise the turn for value. You're putting in 16% of the money, but you expect to win 24% of the time. I wouldn't raise BB and face the field with 2 cold (him waking up suggests your A with a crappy kicker is no good, where it might have been good versus button), but you could call/reraise to pump your big draw once you see that all but one of the huge field is planning to see the river. It's a high variance play, but +EV. BTW, you get an A for table selection.

River is fine.

TimsterToo
05-27-2005, 12:35 PM
I might have limped in preflop instead of raising with A5s, apart from that I can't see any wrong in how you played.

bozlax
05-27-2005, 12:39 PM
I'm folding Axs preflop in EP these days, unless the x is 9+. Once you make the first limp, tho, there are 4 more limpers, a raise, and a semi-coldcall, so I like the second limp (the pot's likely be HUGE).

On the flop, bet out. You've got top-pair-no-kicker and a BDFD. If you're raised, call down, as you're likely behind a better ace.

On the turn you picked up a gutshot, and improved your flush draw. You need to raise this if it's bet before you, or bet out yourself if not; even if you're behind a better ace, two-pair or a set, you have a TON of outs, and with this many people still in the hand that's a bet/raise for value.

River is fine. Anybody that stayed in this with 65 is your new best friend.

Generally, you could've been more aggressive with this.

And don't post results. If you do post results, let the coverter do it for you, so we can tell which players were which, and we don't see screen names.

bozlax
05-27-2005, 12:43 PM
Hero DID limp...twice.

onthebutton
05-27-2005, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And don't post results. If you do post results, let the coverter do it for you, so we can tell which players were which, and we don't see screen names.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry about that, I didn't know. I'll remember in the future. As for all the analysis, thanks. I sometimes have trouble knowing how to play these hands where I have a piece of the flop, and strong draws. Any more analysis is fine, please go ahead.

As for table selection, tables like these aren't that hard to find at .10/.20 it seems.

davelin
05-27-2005, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Since you only have a backdoor flush on the flop, I think a bet would have been good here...to eliminate some players...you don't want them drawing out on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who's folding getting like 1:17?

parappa
05-27-2005, 12:54 PM
Preflop is ok at .1/.2.

Bet the flop with your top pair+backdoor flush draw. You probably won't win, but you'll see what's out there and if you're ahead you've protected your hand. Call a raise. Fold if it comes back 3-bet.

As weird as it seems, you can raise the turn for value. There is some (but almost no) chance that you're ahead, but any 5 (3 cards), club (9 cards), or 2 (4 cards) will give you a likely winner. Those are 16 cards of a remaining 46, or 2.8:1. Your raise may just make some of the callers behind you fold, which is fine, but you make money if they come along.

River bet is good, imo. I think you could argue for a check-raise since button's shown so much strength, but I like to bet here and hope he raises after both call with nothing.

I don't know what they had (I'm against posting results), but I think that you generally had the right idea here.

Edit: I changed my mind about the flop. Call if it comes back 3-bet if you close the action, fold if it comes back capped.

AmarilloJim1
05-27-2005, 01:02 PM
LOL. I suppose it would take someone with a pretty bad hand.

Roybert
05-27-2005, 01:10 PM
Grunching ...

I would try to check raise the flop to protect against weaker pairs. [Edit] - I'm betting if you check, it will check around to the PF raiser.

the turn is trickier - do you have any reads? If you think the 3 players between you and the button would call 2 here, I think it's a great spot for a value raise.

Fantam
05-27-2005, 01:17 PM
Hi. Usually players post results after other posters have given their thoughts on the hand. Otherwise posters sometimes look at the results first and this then influences their opinion as to how the hand should have been played.

Anyway, without looking at the results:

You were correct to limp in PF and call the PF raise for 1 small bet more. 7 other players seeing the flop gives you great implied odds if you make a nut flush with this speculative hand.

On the flop, when you have top pair (weak kicker) and a back-door flush draw, it is difficult to improve your chances of winning the pot with top pair by betting or raising, when the pot is this big. So, I think checking and calling was correct.

On the turn you have 17 outs to improve to at least 2 pair or better and 12 of those outs are to the nuts! You will hit your hand over 35% of the time and you still have 7 players in the pot.

This is what is meant by having a pot equity edge. You only need to win the pot 1/8 or 12.5% of the time to break even, but you will win it 35% of the time!

Your pot equity edge is huge! So you should do everything you can to make this pot as big as possible.

Calling the 1st time when BB woke up with a turn bet was correct, because you didnt want to drive other players out with an early raise leaving them facing a double size bet.

However, when the button (PF raiser and flop better) almost predictably raised, you should then have 3-bet to hopefully trap the button,SB and BB for another bet each. Also if you were lucky MP1 and or MP3 might have called the double bet.

Finally on the river, when you make your straight, there is no point checking as you will just lose additional bets. Other players will probably call you for 1 more bet when the pot is this big and your play here was correct.

imported_Reaction
05-27-2005, 03:42 PM
Fantam,

I am confused by this:

[ QUOTE ]
This is what is meant by having a pot equity edge. You only need to win the pot 1/8 or 12.5% of the time to break even, but you will win it 35% of the time!

[/ QUOTE ]

A) Where did you get 1/8 to break even?

B)I thought the pot equity edge was the fact that with 7 players he is contributing 1/7th or 14% of the pot and expects to win it 35%?

Schwartzy61
05-27-2005, 04:36 PM
Calling the flop is fine here, seems like a nice opportunity to draw to a better hand, TPWK is not taking this down so you are definiately on the draw. And a raise here is not going to protect your hand.

I think I raise the turn with TP, Gutshot Straight draw, and Nut flush draw here. You need to try and protect this hand here. It plays out a little differently from there. If Button still raises (makes it 3) I call it and then when I improve on the river I would try a checkraise on Button. If he didn't 3-bet the turn I would just bet out like you did. If I only called the turn like you did I would certainly check the river to the turn raiser in this situation and plan to checkraise. You were pretty easy to read in this scenario if you ask me. You don't bet until the end when there's 4 to a straight on board, you must have the straight, and well you did. They are still gonna call you but I think you might have gotten a few more bets in the pot on the end...

aK13
05-27-2005, 05:12 PM
I'd raise the turn. Gutshot + flush draw + TP, I'd try to fold out A better kicker here. This would be especially good since BB has bet for you, so you can let everyone else face 2 bets cold to try to narrow this field.