PDA

View Full Version : Two early situations

Perseus
05-27-2005, 11:48 AM
You enter a SnG well within your bankroll, and one that you are comfortably playing.

First situation

You start with the button. Three hands into it you are dealt 10d 10h and put in a raise (this is the first hand you play). The button, who hasn't played a hand yet besides folding his blinds, cold calls. The flop comes down 9h9s3s. You put in a pot sized raise, and the button quickly goes all in.

Do you call?

Second situation

You are dealt 10d 10h in the same position/situation as hand 1. UTG limps (first hand played for him too). You raise and blind and UTG calls. Flop comes down 9h9s3s. UTG checks. You pot sized bet, and UTG immediatly goes all in.

Do you play this differently than hand one?

I want to hear responses before I post what I did in situation one when it happened yesterday. Situation two is hypothetical but I am interested in how decisions would be affected by position of opponent.

Perseus
05-27-2005, 12:30 PM
bump

AbelM
05-27-2005, 12:46 PM
As always it's dependant on what you know about the opponent, but i'll assume because they just started you had no read.

In both hands someone could make a move with a flush draw, but i think it's at least as likely that they have the 9 or JJ+. I think i would fold both.

Your post implies that you were puzzled by the "he went all-in very fast" part. In my experience it's best not to rely too much on the 'on-line tells', they just aren't reliable enough. I only trust them when i see a certain player do a specific action a number of times(ie limping from EP and then when someone raises they wait a long time before going allin). I'm curious if others agree with this.

PS. Maybe it's a good idea to post the level you play at and/or put some numbers in. Besides making it more readible it's also a factor if the stacks are 800 or 1000.

Perseus
05-27-2005, 12:52 PM
I find many times there is a difference in SnG's when people go all in very fast and when they wait.

When they wait, it could be for a variety of reasons (multi-tabling, deciding, etc...). When they go all in right away they know exactly what they are trying to do.

I did not base my decision off his quick all in, but it was a small factor in the process. I will elaborate when I post results...

...anyone else?

PattyMcFatty
05-27-2005, 12:55 PM
For situation #1 -though the level of SnG matters a lot in my decision, ill take it step by step. His cold call on button can represent any PP from 22-QQ. I think logically, he didnt play this hand like slowplayed KK or AA (tho I guess they are a possibility). The tough part about the hand is although many people (myself included) cold call bets with QQ in that spot because its so early in tourney, the immediate all would not be the expected line from QQ. In my mind, this play could be made with a lot of hands your beating, but also some your a big dog to. So, considering your so early in the tourney, id fold. Its not like your commited. Id be interested to hear other responses as its difficult for me to come to a distinct answer for this one..

btw - Id put him on JJ

Perseus
05-27-2005, 03:50 PM
bump again...interesting responses so far. Anyone else?

Perseus
05-28-2005, 01:01 AM
Ok since there is no real interest in this I will post why I did and see if I can get any responses.

In situation one when this happened I call the all in bet with 99. It was early in the tournament, yes, but I also felt that JJ-AA usually would have been raised preflop. Also, if he had a 10 he probably would have slowplayed a little at least. An all in raise that quickly, I felt, meant that he was pushing a big A or a lower pocket pair.

I won the hand and used those extra chips to open up a little more, and eventually won the tournament.

I posted this because I don't want to be results oriented. It worked this time, but was the move +EV? I don't know for sure, but I think it is.