PDA

View Full Version : Robert Plant

zephed56
05-27-2005, 11:32 AM
His new album is very good. It's a "listen to the whole thing" kind of album.

Robert Plant & The Strange Sensation-Mighty Rearranger (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0007Z4S4C/ref=pd_rhf_p_1/103-7050228-0341421?v=glance&s=music&n=5174&no=*)

It's eclectic. Blending rock, middle eastern melodies, rockabilly, blues, folk and some electronica. His voice isn't like it used to be, but he's not screaming "Babeeeeee Babeeeeeeeee Babeeeeeeeeeee, ohhhhhhhh" anymore, so it works just fine. His band sounds great.

There's a lot of depth in the music. Sometimes it gets a little slow, but there's a lot going on, so it keeps you interested. You'll notice different parts each time you listen to it.

Good use of dynamics.
-Contrast (slow -> fast) (soft -> loud)
-Time/space, they let the music breathe, letting instruments drop out and come back in.

I like the drum sound. Full and deep. It reminds me of how Bonham sounds on Zep albums. I hate it when they (other rockers) make the drummer sound like he's banging on a tin can. Let it breathe.

The guitarist does a great job. I really like his parts. No fretboard gymnastics or anything, he just knows what to play, how much/loud, and when. It's usually in the background, and then comes in the foreground. Like I said, dynamics.

Recommended tracks:
-Takamba
-Mighty Rearranger
-Shine it All Around
-Freedom Fries
-The Enchanter
-Tin Pan Valley

Anyways, I think I'm gonna see him live when he comes around L.A. if I can get tickets.