PDA

View Full Version : punketty

pocatino
05-27-2005, 11:04 AM
Are people familiar with punketty from Party 5-10 NL? I feel I am a solid, strong NL player, and am not one to be awed by other very often - but in my opinion, he (I think it's a he) is the best player I have ever seen. He plays 6-max, usually three or four tables - and ALWAYS has his stacks at each table up between 3K and sometimes as high as 10K.

Yet, his play does not seem reasonable. He seems to raise every single hand. He calls raises in position with trash and defends his blinds with trash. It seems like he wins 75% of the pots he plays - yet he plays nearly every pot. At the same time, he seems to never lose a showdown!

It doesn't seem to make good poker sense to play the way that he does. He calls raises with 9-6 offsuit, raises limpers with q-4 suited, and seems to bet with no discretion. Yet he somehow seems to always be a big winner - and I have rarely seen him lose a big pot unless he gets sucked out on.

I have been watching him (as well as some of the other top players on Party 5-10 NL) for a while and am truly baffled at his style and corresponding success. Could anyone comment please?

Yeti
05-27-2005, 11:07 AM
If this post is sarcastic, it's the best post I've ever read.

If it's serious, which I fear it is, God help you.

pocatino
05-27-2005, 11:13 AM
Could you elaborate? Have you seen him play? Have you ever seen him lose? ... His play is absurdly unconventional - yet he never loses.

By the way, I am a winning player at the 3-6 and 5-10 level, so please don't think that I am just some star struck fool.

Yeti
05-27-2005, 11:21 AM
I can't really be bothered elaborating, but suffice to say he isn't that good at all.

I'd be surprised if he was more than a 2PTBB/100 winner. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was a breakeven or losing player.

Yes, I've logged many 1000s of hands against him.

pocatino
05-27-2005, 11:36 AM
You are either jealous or nuts. I have watched him over a long period of time, as I have some of the other top players. I like to learn from some players by incorporating their styles. Punketty consistently wins 10-15K over three tables every time he plays.

I'm sure others that play with him can back me up on this ...

Yeti
05-27-2005, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You are either jealous or nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
Punketty consistently wins 10-15K over three tables every time he plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure others that play with him can back me up on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.

fsuplayer
05-27-2005, 11:54 AM
you have probably been watching him lately, in which case, he is running at 20bb over his last couple thousand hands. a hot streak that is all.

when i guy like him runs hot, he can make you miserable, but he also dumps a ton (i mean, alot) when he isnt.

Leptyne
05-27-2005, 01:53 PM
I've played against him on occassion, so I don't have enough history to comment on. I'm a 3/6/600 player and can cite specific player names and stastics if you like, but my general impression is that as a group multi-table players share a common style. First, they are tight. Generally close to the 15% neighborhood. Since they are multi-tabling they try to keep the number of hands played down by playing premium hands only. Second, they are a passive group pre-flop. Their style is to see the flop and make instant decisions based on flop texture.

If you wish to continue this line of discussion I would appreciate it if you would get some specific facts together first. Generalizations such as "always wins" and "never loses" and "seems like" don't hold water.

VanVeen
05-27-2005, 02:32 PM
Based on a 1-day, ~1000 hand impression: Raising 30% of your hands preflop and betting ~80% of the flops you see is like giving away money if you're playing against opponents who can, uhm, draw conclusions and aren't afraid to ignore their cards and just take advantage of an exploitable tendency. I RAISE. I CALL. TY FOR $100. 60%+ he'll basically have to fold OR start 'restealing' with draws/air, which he tends to do to excess against opponents who obviously aren't putting a move on him.

Far from the best player /images/graemlins/frown.gif Game conditions don't justify his senseless preflop/flop play, either, or his turn/river bluffing frequency. Doubt he wins. Rides variance, comes out a loser (I'd guess).

THATWACOKID
05-27-2005, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Generally close to the 15% neighborhood. Since they are multi-tabling they try to keep the number of hands played down by playing premium hands only. Second, they are a passive group pre-flop. Their style is to see the flop and make instant decisions based on flop texture.

[/ QUOTE ]

I multi-table and my vpip is 18 pfr a little over 8 and I make plays at players all the time with the help of gametime+.

Prevaricator
05-27-2005, 07:14 PM
I have him at VP$IP of 48 and PFR 28, he is running well now but he is so LAG it is easy to exploit. Big stacks doesnt equal good play.

On another note, anyone know where gaskellio went? He disappeared from this game, but IMO was the best player in it when he was there. Probably sn change or something.

BluffTHIS!
05-27-2005, 08:43 PM
My only comment on this thread since the poster is a newbie is the question of whether the poster is punketty himself trying to get feedback on how his opponents view/play him. If so then nh.

Yeti
05-27-2005, 09:18 PM
I really hope the OP isn't punketty's little railbird. That would be really sad.

BluffTHIS!
05-27-2005, 09:23 PM
Good point yeti. His name is RedCowRules.

BluffTHIS!
05-27-2005, 09:42 PM
I want to add a comment here about the point I brought up and that yeti commented on is why it is better not to discuss specific, albeit anonymous, internet players, both out of some respect for those players themselves and for the obvious reasons implied here. This would also apply to unconverted hand histories. TV cast pros are of course a totally different matter.

Yeti
05-28-2005, 05:06 AM
Yeah, I don't like it when threads are made about specific posters but I found this one so laughable I had to chip in. That railbird really winds me up.

Anyway, I'll refrain from posting hand histories.