PDA

View Full Version : Problem hand with an overpair

rambozo
05-27-2005, 10:19 AM
Game: 2/4 NL

Stack Sizes:
Hero $325
Villian $500

A couple of limpers to me in CO with QQ and I raise it to $20. Button calls.

Flop is:

2 4 9 rainbow

I bet $36 and button min raises and I call.

Turn is 7

I check and button bets $60 and I call.

River is another 7

I check and button bets $60 and I call.

Results:
Button has set of 4's and I lose.

Is there any getting away from this hand for me?

I swear 90% of the time when I get reraised I am behind and would be way better of to fold right there. Should I have called the reraise and if no Queen comes dump the hand?
Maybe if button would have made a pot sized bet on turn or river I could have folded. But with those smallish bets it could have been JJ.

This overpair situation is really been costing me lots of $$$$ lately and this is a typical hand from the 5 or 6 this week that have stung me.

psuasskicker
05-27-2005, 10:24 AM
With him betting that small at the pot I don't think you can get away from it. The guy min raised your flop bet and you called it. Then he bets $60 into a $180 and then $300 pot? I don't see getting away from that hand for that little money. He could easily be on A9 or something similar.

I think you did well not to lose more money with the hand. Many would push all in on that flop, or at some point would lose all their money.

- C -

gomberg
05-27-2005, 10:30 AM
tough hand - he was milking you. In your notes - put "min-raise w/ monster on the flop, milking bets turn / river (same size)".

This should help you in the future if the player doesn't mix up his play (many don't at 2/4).

You lost almost the min with this hand - good job. The only way you get away from it sooner is if your read of his min-raise is right and you can fold right there.

steamroller
05-27-2005, 10:37 AM
He sure looks like top pair with good kicker. I don't see a misplay by you. At least you didn't raise T or R.

creedofhubris
05-27-2005, 11:50 AM
You played it fine.

Rotating Rabbit
05-27-2005, 12:07 PM
As everyone says, you played it fine. You cant fold to min-raises on the flop in situations like this too often - its too weak and will be a losing play. His bets on turn and especially river are too small to fold to as well.

He's painting an image that he's got A9 and is not a good player, its good that you didnt bite.

As Gomberg says, best thing to do is put a note on this guy that he min raises the goods on the flop and value bets tiny (not that you can fold to these size of value bets in the future, but itl help read his hands when you're not in them).