PDA

View Full Version : What is the appeal of Turbos?

NYCNative
05-27-2005, 08:27 AM
I hate Turbo tournaments. They seem to be more a case of catch good cards early or be gone. It seems that the skill involved in playing a Turbo is less than in a normal SNG unless the skill we're looking at is bluffing and semi-bluffing.

To those who prefer Turbo tourneys - what am I missing here?

Big Limpin'
05-27-2005, 08:35 AM
You play card to win money.
I play cards to win money.
Some people are not like us.
Turbos are fun.

Big Limpin'
05-27-2005, 08:36 AM
You play cards to win money.
I play cards to win money.
Some people are not like us.
Turbos are fun.

wtf was the point of asking this?

NYCNative
05-27-2005, 08:38 AM
I ask what's the reason you prefer Turbos and you say "because I do." wtf was the point of your reply?

dfscott
05-27-2005, 08:39 AM
It's similar to why the Party structure is profitable. Even though there is less opportunity to exploit your edge of being better than your opponents, there are still ways to increase your edges (i.e., start pushing due to the blind sizes and not just what your cards are). For the people that play them (e.g., me), the feeling is that the lower ROI is offset by the shorter time to play (i.e., you get more in per hour).

Big Limpin'
05-27-2005, 08:43 AM
no, no, no no....what i meant was.....OTHER people like to play them because they are more "fun". Like, fro they eyes of a very casual player who has a 1:1 ratio of hours of WPT watched to online poker played.
Pushing/allin in what gets these guys juices going. Thats "what poker is all about" to them. The subtleties of deepstack plays...they dont care about, and turbos markedly decrease their disadvantage by being uncultured in such matter.

THAT was the point of my reply.
Also, i dont know what was up with the posts. You will notice i went to the effort of improving grammar though /images/graemlins/grin.gif

networkman
05-27-2005, 08:43 AM
HR

Al P
05-27-2005, 10:32 AM
They pay very well.

pooh74
05-27-2005, 11:12 AM
I think it depends on the buy-in...I assume you are speaking of stars.

At the 50s sometimes you will have 7-8 players left at level 5. 15-25s are good IMO.

Bluff Daddy
05-27-2005, 11:16 AM
what is the structure of the turbos on stars?

pooh74
05-27-2005, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what is the structure of the turbos on stars?

[/ QUOTE ]

t1500 and 5 minute blinds (instead of 10)

10/20
15/30
25/50
50/100
75/150
100/200
100/200 25 ante
200/400 25 ante
200/600 "

citanul
05-27-2005, 11:24 AM
the problem i have with the turbos is that while they take about the same amount of time as the party tournaments, i feel like i'm getting fewer hands in or something. personally i'm into the 10 man sngs instead of 9, and 3rd place actually paying something. but i can see where the draw of it would be for a casual player, specifically one who only has an account only at stars, and is looking for something faster than their normal sngs.

citanul

Bluff Daddy
05-27-2005, 11:25 AM
so how do these compare to party are they worth giving a shot or should I just not waste my time? I know dfscott plays them and party

grimel
05-27-2005, 11:39 AM
The psychos are gone just as quick, the blinds get significant quickly, thus you can blind away the passives quickly; while the speed of it all overwhelms the normal SNGers who sat at the wrong table.

pooh74
05-27-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so how do these compare to party are they worth giving a shot or should I just not waste my time? I know dfscott plays them and party

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you good? If so, dont waste your time. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

these are about 75% of my SNG experience (~2000)...never played at party but I imagine the hourly rate is comparable.

Blarg
05-27-2005, 12:38 PM
I've wondered about these. I've seen some here rave about them being great.

I've wondered if the skills of knowing when to aggressively push gained at Party translate well. Citanul doesn't seem to think so, but I think dfscott was liking these a lot, so I wonder if that's why -- because his aggressive Party-style play translated well there to a situation where blinds are going up blur fast and overwehelming your typical Stars player, whereas a typical Party player would feel more at home in them.

UncleDuke
05-27-2005, 01:36 PM
They take less time to play, so if you're +EV in them, you can play more of them. As another poster said, that offsets the fact that you have somewhat less chance to exploit your superior skill (whether it offsets it by more or less than 100% is debatable). I think they are actually a bit quicker than Party sngs and considerably quicker than normal Stars ones. They also have lower vig than the normal sngs, which adds a bit to your ROI (unless you only play Stars when clearing a bonus, in which case it's a wash).

dfscott
05-27-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I enjoy playing the 27s occasionally for a change of pace. As others have said, the vig is less, the play is just about the same as the party 22s, and aggression on the bubble is much less common (leaving you plenty of opportunities to exploit).

In addition, they take about the same amount of time as the Party SnGs (I average 35 minutes), so I don't feel like I'm giving up anything timewise. The biggest downside is that I have one less buy-in in the pot, but I get to play a lot more post-flop poker, which balances it out for me.

gp?
05-27-2005, 03:34 PM
the rake is very good on stars turbos