PDA

View Full Version : River play w/bottom end of straight against a TAG.

Entity
05-27-2005, 02:54 AM
Villain is a generally good, aggressive TAG. Anyone put another bet in on the river?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (2 SB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (2 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12 BB

Alobar
05-27-2005, 03:05 AM
I cant figure out what a decent player would play like this. No way did he play a pocket pair that would make a set like this PF. If he has an overpair like AA or KK, no way does he give you this much action because he will fear 2 pair or something. The only hand I see with a ten in it(which is the only hand you lose to) is T8. I suppose its possible he could have limped with T8s.

If I raise I dont want to call a 3 bet (I suppose you dont have to). Meh, I just call the river here, cuz im so confused. If he wasnt a tag I would prolly raise one more time, because then I could put him on alot more hands that would play this way that I beat.

joseki
05-27-2005, 03:50 AM
My gut feeling is to raise and adjust your read from good/aggro to overaggressive/waits-for-big-bets.

Based on this one hand I'm guessing he's 'slowplaying' AA-88, and you only lose to one of those. I guess T8s is possible (or some other weird hand w/ a T), but the only way a 'good' player completes w/ this is if he thinks you're pretty weak.

Nigel
05-27-2005, 04:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
but the only way a 'good' player completes w/ this is if he thinks you're pretty weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you elaborate on this?

cmwck
05-27-2005, 05:35 AM
Wait, wouldn't a decent player either riase or fold from the SB, unless he thought you will never fold to a steal?

AlwaysWrong
05-27-2005, 05:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wait, wouldn't a decent player either riase or fold from the SB, unless he thought you will never fold to a steal?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he knows that you're good, the best strategy is probably to mix it up between completes and raises, with many more raises than completes, but completes with some marginal hands and some very good hands.

gaming_mouse
05-27-2005, 06:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I cant figure out what a decent player would play like this. No way did he play a pocket pair that would make a set like this PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's possible that he played a pocket pair like this as a variation. Saying there is "no way" he did is too strong, I think. Nonetheless, I agree that T8 (not necessarily suited) is his most likely hand.

I wouldn't raise the river.
gm

Entity
05-27-2005, 10:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I cant figure out what a decent player would play like this. No way did he play a pocket pair that would make a set like this PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's possible that he played a pocket pair like this as a variation. Saying there is "no way" he did is too strong, I think. Nonetheless, I agree that T8 (not necessarily suited) is his most likely hand.

I wouldn't raise the river.
gm

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, cool. Dude gave me wayyyyyyyy too much action on the turn w/AA.

Rob

ISF
05-27-2005, 10:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone put another bet in on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]
NO. You made it clear on the turn that you have a big hand, and now it is just the idiot end of a straight, you will get one bet sometimes here when ahead, but loose two at least as often by raising.

StellarWind
05-27-2005, 01:22 PM
The obvious concern when he comes after you on the turn is T8. But what would you, me, and this good TAG do on the flop with T8? That's right, we would all semibluff bet our gutshot and six pair outs. Possibly someone would checkfold. But checkcalling in a 2 SB pot isn't even on the radar screen. It's awful.

It really looks like he flopped his hand and slowplayed. Probably he flopped two pair. Almost certainly both of his cards match board cards. That means he loses. Raise the river and call the 3-bet.

Alobar
05-27-2005, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I think it's possible that he played a pocket pair like this as a variation. Saying there is "no way" he did is too strong, I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt say he wouldnt play any PP like this, but no way would a good player play a mid pocker pair like this PF (the only ones that make a set here), thats just wrong, and a really bad play if he did. I can see him doing it with a big PP, but then I dont see him giving you that much action with one