PDA

View Full Version : Which is more frustrating to the psyche of an SnGer......?

dhende3
05-27-2005, 01:44 AM
...a devestating array of terrible beats or when your opponents are consistently waking up with monsters from your position pushes (and of course you don't suck out). I personally think it is the ladder because it has me questioning my +EV pushes. Haven't seen a post on this...

Any comments?

citanul
05-27-2005, 01:48 AM
i think it depends on the player. someone who's not rattled ever when they get their money in good clearly doesn't care if they get sucked out on. someone who gets their money in bad can be rattled by that, especially if they don't understand that it's possible that their play was correct anyway.

i find that personally the thing that comes closest to rattling me is a LONG string of losing coinflips. the beats, not so much for some reason.

citanul

fluorescenthippo
05-27-2005, 02:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

i find that personally the thing that comes closest to rattling me is a LONG string of losing coinflips. the beats, not so much for some reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes!! coinflips are the devil

Big Limpin'
05-27-2005, 02:06 AM
I dont have any good insight or anything witty to say, so i'll just give my answer.

Taking beats / losing races gets me frustrated.
Running into big hands at bad times, while it bums me out, i find easier to shrug off.

Dont know why, it just seems that way.

As an aside, i find it interesting how many many more posts about "running bad" revolve around beats, not having silver medal hands. They are both bad luck, and both are just random occurances. So i guess from that you can deduce that the beats bother most ppls more than the running into monsters.

Also, i have no beef with ladders. I mean, im not really a ladder-lover, im just lukewarm on ladders in general.
(yes i know you mean latter) /images/graemlins/grin.gif

DasLeben
05-27-2005, 02:06 AM
For me, it's a long streak of finishing 3rd. I can handle bubbling a fair amount as long as I do it on good plays. But if I have a long run of 3rds, man, I go nuts.

Freudian
05-27-2005, 02:11 AM
Easily the first one. Not winning your fair share of hands can be very frustrating. If you run into better hands but win your fair share of the showdowns, thats fine. I would much rather run into five AA than lose ten straight coinflips.

pergesu
05-27-2005, 02:13 AM
I kinda hate running into bad hands.

We're on the bubble, I'm stealing, having a ball, picking up blinds. Suddenly BB wakes up with a big hand, and all that stealing goes out the window. Two hands later I bust.

What was the point of stealing the blinds?

HoldingFolding
05-27-2005, 02:15 AM
Neither. An obviously bad play on my part sends me in to a Lost Weekend type tailspin. You know the sort of thing, calling bets even though there's an Ace on the flop and you hold QQ or KK etc. The cat'll get a decent sized 'Johnny Wilkinson' after one of those.

Newt_Buggs
05-27-2005, 02:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Neither. An obviously bad play on my part sends me in to a Lost Weekend type tailspin. You know the sort of thing, calling bets even though there's an Ace on the flop and you hold QQ or KK etc. The cat'll get a decent sized 'Johnny Wilkinson' after one of those.

[/ QUOTE ]
same, bad beats or running into AA hardly phases me. Knowing that I made a bad play really gets to me though.

pergesu
05-27-2005, 02:46 AM
What bugs me is when some kid raises preflop, I pop him back with aces, and he calls. Then he check-raises me all-in on a queen high flop with jacks, catches a jack on the river. That's no biggie happens all the time. But then he says, "WOW. I'm sorry. I really. am"

I can't remember the last time I was sorry I won a pot.

Daliman
05-27-2005, 03:28 AM
I take it worse than most, and for me, in order, from least painful to most, My top 5 is;

5. Getting no hands to plays whatsoever.
4. Opponents constantly waking up with monsters.
3. Losing an extanded string of coinflips.
2. Losing when dominating or overpair.

And the #1 thing that pisses me off the most....

Losing a hand when dominating or worse and my opponent had no f'ing reason to be in the pot!

DJTech
05-27-2005, 03:46 AM
After 1000 coinflips, you'll be about even... after 1000 suck-outs you'll be suicidle...

jeffraider
05-27-2005, 04:45 AM
I hate when I go broke against any kind of hand and I had no reason to be in the pot.

gh9801
05-27-2005, 05:07 AM
both.

networkman
05-27-2005, 06:39 AM
I used to get really upset over suckouts, and pushing into monsters made me question my play, I even lost sleep over it (seriously).

It doesnt really bother me much anymore, just another game...fire up another one.

Of course when it happens, oh I dunno, say 4+ games in a row...

The veins in my forehead throb and its only a matter of time... /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif

starvs
05-27-2005, 06:57 AM
For me since I play the 6s (soon to be 11s), it's when I'm trying to steal with utter crap and I get called by junk, but junk that has me beat. People are not suppose to call an all in with JT.

The once and future king
05-27-2005, 07:00 AM
My style of play has discovered a new way to be frustrated. Though I imagine that many other posters experience this also.

(I plays stars remember) The BB is say 200. You have about 1000-1300 chips. Someone with about the same amount of chips as you limps in mid position with about 5-7 left. You think ok, Im going to make you pay for that limp (And mostly you do) and push the rags you woke up with all in. So normaly here you take down the blinds and the limp, but in this case they decide to call with junk like QTo/89s or at best A2-A4 which never the less has you dominated.

Im like wtf you retard why didnt you push in the first place, if your prepared to call a reriase with that you must be prepared to push it, but no you prefer to trap with it instead, TARD.

As for the other things mentioned. Obviously the most frustrating thing about them is when they all start happening at once. Getting sucked out on, never winning coin flips and also running into monsters every feckin time, this is the stuff of poker nightmares.

RandomUser
05-27-2005, 07:22 AM
One thing in this thread that is amusing to observe is the following.

Why do people get upset when they go all-in with junk and someone calls them with better junk?

And when the caller says "I thought you were full of crap, so I called" why isn't that a perfectly acceptable answer?

What makes the pusher automatically the better player?

The same thing goes for people who try to represent top pair by betting out with their pair of 6s (or similar).

I've had several people say "How could you call with 2nd pair when I was representing top pair?"

I just have to ask "Why should I believe you when you bet when your past betting history tells me that you are full of crap a significant percentage of the time?"

The once and future king
05-27-2005, 07:44 AM
Do you know what fold equity is. Do you understand the massive and utter differance between pushing with junk and calling with junk. Do you know about the Gap?

On the basis of your above post I dont think you do.

If you can call a reraise all in with QTo for all your stack after limping with it out of position for and be confident you are well ahead then good luck at the final table of WSOP because that is were you belong.

Then again I allways thought David Blaine should take up poker.

Newt_Buggs
05-27-2005, 08:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I take it worse than most, and for me, in order, from least painful to most, My top 5 is;

Losing a hand when dominating or worse and my opponent had no f'ing reason to be in the pot!

[/ QUOTE ]
I find it interesting that one of the best players on this forum gets so bothered by bad beats.

Blarg
05-27-2005, 11:17 AM
Everybody's human. He's just Daliman, not Jesus, after all.

Blarg
05-27-2005, 11:33 AM
To me, it's the suck-outs. Especially when I get a few in a row when I'm not just dominating, but have truly excellent cards, like AA, KK, or such. I've had KK get me kicked from three continuous games in a row before, and had a run of QQ where out of eight times I got it, I got sucked out on every single time. A nice irony was that was right when there was a thread here wherein players were extolling the power of QQ. It made for a very aggravating irony, and a nasty OTM streak. I've had numerous clumps of AK, AA, and KK getting sucked out on three consecutive times, and it can really aggravate me.

By contrast, I tend to laugh when I'm pushing trash and get called by good cards. I don't know how anyone can get mad at that really; you're shooting an angle and having it blow up publicly in your face; there's something kind of comical about it. Well, I guess I can see how you might feel you finally DESERVE to suck-out on somebody else after a long run of people sucking out on you, but there's an ironic absurdity to that.

I do find it annoying sometimes to be called by especially bad trash, though, especially when the players have absolutely no reason to call. As in, I have a tight table image, our stacks are both plenty big so there's no reason for confrontation, and their cards absolutely stink. There's just no reason for them to call except that theyh're what I write afterwards in my notes as "BLIND HAPPY." I still remember being sucked out on, holding monsters, in about five or six games by 7-5 offsuit, twice in a row!!! and then two games later by 5-2 offsuit, I kid you not. All these guys had good stacks, and so did I; there was just no reason for them to be in the pot, except for Yaweh to be playing one of his cute little jokes on me again.

Normally I know that these guys contribute a lot to your bottom line, if only indirectly by feeding some fish's stack if not yours, but multiple suck-outs can really piss me off sometimes. Often I play right through the aggravation just fine, but after a long run of these, and I've had quite a few, that's when I need some time away from the table.

Newt_Buggs
05-27-2005, 11:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i meant more bothered in relation to other players. Comparing his post to others I got the impression that suckouts get to him more than they do the others on this forum

nWirb
05-27-2005, 12:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

But this can also be a bit rattling:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB (t4012)
Hero (t520)
MP (t738)
CO (t1290)
Button (t835)
SB (t605)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t100</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls t420 (All-In).

Flop: (t1195) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t1195) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t1195) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t1195

Hero has Ac Ad (two pair, aces and queens).
CO has Ah Qs (three of a kind, queens).
Outcome: CO wins t1195.

And this:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG (t1355)
MP (t3560)
Button (t780)
SB (t960)
Hero (t1345)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t780 (All-In)</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t960 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls t860.

Flop: (t2700) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t2700) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t2700) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t2700

Button has As 7d (one pair, sevens).
SB has 7c 7h (three of a kind, sevens).
Hero has Ac Ad (one pair, aces).
Outcome: SB wins t2700.

VoraciousReader
05-27-2005, 12:15 PM
Umm....pinball0075?

/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Nick B.
05-27-2005, 12:18 PM
If you are getting frustrated, it is likely that you aren't playing correctly. I can't remember a single time that I took a beat while winning and gotten upset. Anytime you see somebody get upset over a beat, it is probably because they arne't winning overall. Not just because of that hand.

Dominic
05-27-2005, 12:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...a devestating array of terrible beats or when your opponents are consistently waking up with monsters from your position pushes (and of course you don't suck out). I personally think it is the ladder because it has me questioning my +EV pushes. Haven't seen a post on this...

Any comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like ladders, because they help me climb into a winning position.

Blarg
05-27-2005, 12:32 PM
Look at Phil Helmuth. You'd think he'd have better control than the members of this forum, too. His lack of self-control isn't that much of an anomaly, either.

I'm just unlinking a connection between great skill and poker knowledge and perfect knowledge or control or development in other areas. It's easy to assign to or assume in people we admire or respect(heck, even date and marry) all sorts of virtues that they could only wish they had. Lots of people don't hesitate to assign all sorts of virtues they don't have to themselves, too, just because they're good at something. Anyway, I'm just saying it's not surprising, and not even a criticism of them at all, when humans turn out to be just plainly human. I expect it actually. Even from the ones who can completely kick my ass in one way or another.

It's more fair to them, too, than burdening them with living up to perfect images.

Kind of like celebrities who are either applauded and lifted to the skies for their every passing fart, or villified for it. They're probably dying to scratch their ass in public once in a while, just like the rest of us.

USGrant
05-27-2005, 12:57 PM
This too bugs the hell out of me the most. I don't typically try to come over the top of limpers at late stages of tourneys unless I have the goods, but if I do make a play I can't understand why they limp from EP then call a re-raise with their whole stack with monsters like Q7s and A3os. They are novice fish, and passive donks, and their poker screens only have one button: CALL.

Blarg
05-27-2005, 01:03 PM
You just answered your own question.

Daliman
05-27-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I find it interesting that one of the best players on this forum gets so bothered by bad beats.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do too, believe me.

Daliman
05-27-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i meant more bothered in relation to other players. Comparing his post to others I got the impression that suckouts get to him more than they do the others on this forum

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct sir, but only when they build up. The standard stuff is no big deal.

Daliman
05-27-2005, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you are getting frustrated, it is likely that you aren't playing correctly. I can't remember a single time that I took a beat while winning and gotten upset. Anytime you see somebody get upset over a beat, it is probably because they arne't winning overall. Not just because of that hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nick, Nick, Nick.... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Yes, I'm sure that people like Phil Hellmuth and Men Nguyen aren't winning poker players.

Nottom
05-27-2005, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it fair to extend this to not having my share of suckouts when I get caught stealing?