PDA

View Full Version : Common 2+2 Syndrome - Over-Attemping to Isolate

whitelime
05-26-2005, 11:50 PM
Here is a typical situation. UTG who is a horrendous player limps. You are next with QJo. The standard play in this situation is to raise to attempt to isolate (right?). Now, because my game selection is impeccable, at most one out of the three players after me is a TAG, or even tight for that matter. I find that I will often raise my mediocore hand like QJo after the UTG limper, and have at least one, usually two players cold call after me. Would a better play be to limp hands like KJo, QJo, JTo, etc. here in order to keep the pot small preflop? I remember a section in HEPFAP where Sklansky talks about keeping the pot small against terrible players to magnify their mistakes postflop. What do you guys think the correct play is in situations like this? If you think it is correct to limp, how strong a hand does it take for you to raise?

marand
05-27-2005, 05:32 AM
I don't like limping here with unsuited high cards. Too high risk to get raised behind you by a better hand. If UTG limps and I am next I would fold QJ and JT and raise KJ.