PDA

View Full Version : What is the conventional play when AK shrivels up dry?

Paradigm
05-26-2005, 11:41 PM
Just wondering where people go with this hand on the turn. I lost to a pair of 5's, which is not what I thought I'd bust to (with so much else there). Also, what do you do if the hand comes 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

What is the standard when AK misses?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (5.75 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 7.75 BB

istewart
05-26-2005, 11:44 PM
I'm not a fan of the river bet, but this looks like an okay board to occasionally show-down AK-high if you check. This is opponent-dependent though.

Isura
05-26-2005, 11:47 PM
Everything is fine except the the river IMO. Don't bet this river. If villain was on a draw, he will fold if you bet. There are lots of draws (2 flushes, straight, overcards), so if you check he will check behind and let you win with a free showdown often. He will also check behind hands that beat you such as an 8, 5, etc. It's usually close between check/calling and check/folding the river. If you think villain will take a stab at the pot with his missed draw, or A high, call the river. Otherwise it's probably okay to fold.

Isura
05-26-2005, 11:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a fan of the river bet, but this looks like an okay board to occasionally show-down AK-high if you check. This is opponent-dependent though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you mean opponent dependent between check/fold and check/call right? The only time I see betting as correct is against a tight opponent who will lay down a pair.

istewart
05-26-2005, 11:49 PM
Yes, whether to call if he bets.

Jakesta
05-26-2005, 11:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, whether to call if he bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check-calling is clearly the best move. It can induce a possible bluff.

If Hero was in late position and he is bet into on the river then a fold is required, unless Hero rivers an Ace or King, in which case I still like calling compared to raising. Hero owuld hate to be 3bet here.

atnels
05-26-2005, 11:54 PM
It really depends on two things. #1A is your opponents. If you're at a weak-tight table, by all means bet A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif on a 6-7-8/images/graemlins/club.gif board. If you're at a table with players like me who will relentlessly raise you for autobetting overcards on rag flops, then checking is probably a better option.

Second is the exact intensity of the 'shrivel.' In your example hand, you've got a BD draw to the second-nut flush, plus TPTK overcards. The board is pretty connected but you raised in EP so you shouldn't be overly concerned about players behind you calling two cold with stuff like 46 unless you know they're calling stations. Compare this to the situation where you raise AKo on the button after 4 loose players have limped - you can't rule out any holding.

I'd bet this flop almost regardless of my opponents. The turn bet is a little more iffy - if I knew that MP1 was a tight player who wouldn't call without a decent chunk of the flop, I'd check since now your BD flush is toast. If I thought MP1 was the kind of player who would call 'just' 1 SB to see the turn, I'd bet again.

The river, eh, I can see arguments for checking and for betting. If MP1 was on a flush or a straight draw, he'll likely fold. If you check you might induce a total bluff from a more aggressive player, and as Stewart mentioned calling down with AK isn't terrible on this board. Or, MP1 might just check a hand he would have folded and Hero's pair of sevens with AK kickers are good.

billy51
05-26-2005, 11:55 PM
Head up play is always very read dependent...but if the villian in this hand is a typical weak/tight player (common at 1/2), I usually bet the flop and the turn. After you get called in both spots, I check/fold the river. If I've seen villian bluff in this spot before, I might call the river hoping my ace high is good.

As for explaination, you bet the flop because there is a good chance you have the best hand. You still might have the best hand on the turn--I've seen a lot of players that call the flop with nothing, but fold to a turn bet. I think a turn bet works often enough in this spot to be profitable. After villian calls both the flop and turn bets, it usually indicates that he has something to show down, so I would check the river, hoping he checks behind. I usually fold to a river bet.

Isura
05-26-2005, 11:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Check-calling is clearly the best move. It can induce a possible bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check-calling is far from clear. If villain never bluffs the river, and only bets with a pair or better, it is never correct. Checking is clear, but calling is read depenedent here.

Jakesta
05-27-2005, 12:00 AM
Oops that's not what I meant. My bad.

I meant that checking is infinitely superior to betting. Whether you call or fold is your choice. Against an opponent who I know is capable of bluffing when checked to, I call this almost every time. Is that wrong?

Isura
05-27-2005, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Against an opponent who I know is capable of bluffing when checked to, I call this almost every time. Is that wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

Board is all low cards and missed draws. So getting 7 to 1 calling down is fine against such an opponent.