PDA

View Full Version : Was this a hand worthy of check raising?

mithong
05-26-2005, 11:16 PM
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button folds.

Flop: (11 SB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

Jakesta
05-26-2005, 11:18 PM
That is a bad check-raise in my opinion. I don't know what you're trying to do. You have maybe 4 overcard outs and 1 back door nut flush out. If you had A2 hearts then I would like it better.

atnels
05-26-2005, 11:21 PM
First off, who are you going to c/r? You didn't give any reads but you're the only person who showed any strength preflop, so intending to c/r is pretty risky.

Second, what are you trying to accomplish? You currently have a BD flush draw and two overcards. The only possible reason I see is to get weak people to fold hands that have you reverse-dominated (i.e. A6).

Players with a club draw can still easily call 2 SB (2/14 &lt;&lt; .34).

gvibes
05-26-2005, 11:23 PM
Generally, no, this is not a hand worthy of check/raising. You have to have a read on CO as either really weak or an auto-bettor to even attempt this, and I'm not convinced that it would work even under those conditions, as the pot is now decently sized, and other players are getting 7:1 to call.

Usually, after making a play like this on the flop, you end up OOP on the turn, with no hand, and two-three players to act behind you.

mithong
05-26-2005, 11:25 PM
so should i have even led out on the flop then?

istewart
05-26-2005, 11:28 PM
I would have check-called. Certain situations call for check-raising with UI overcards, but I don't think this is one of them.

atnels
05-26-2005, 11:29 PM
That really depends on your reads. If your opponents are all weak-tight, then I'd definately bet this. If they're thinking, aggressive players I'd probably check this.

gvibes
05-26-2005, 11:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so should i have even led out on the flop then?

[/ QUOTE ]
I would check/call this flop.

grjr
05-27-2005, 12:56 AM
I've tried this play a few times when I've checked the flop after raising. You're hoping it gets checked through but if the last guy bets then go ahead and pop him one and lead the turn. It seems to him like you're playing a big pair and if he doesn't hit something on the turn there's a good chance he will lay down.

I've only done this 4 or 5 times ( I don't check a lot of flops) but I think it's worked every time.

Shillx
05-27-2005, 01:05 AM
Yeah this hand is money. Well done.

Brad

Aaron W.
05-27-2005, 01:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button folds.

Flop: (11 SB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

The check-raise is very good. I think it's clearly the right play in this spot. The pot is 12 SB when it gets to you. That's a big pot! You've certainly got odds to call, so you would like to maximize your chances of winning it if you should happen to hit one of your outs. A check-raise will drive out a lot of hands with K, Q, J in them that will make you unhappy because they mess with your T outs. Letting them in cheaply (and profitably) is a big mistake.

If you're only thinking about the flop, then you're not seeing the consequences of later streets! Suppose you hit your ten on the turn, but everyone is still hanging around. What are you going to do? Will you try to check-raise the whole field and risk giving up a free card? But if you bet out, everyone is getting 8:1 or 9:1 to call, which means if they had *ANY* piece of the flop, they've got odds to draw out against you profitably (again!).

Check-raise because of your position relative to the bettor. You've got a chance to shut out the ENTIRE field, so why not do it?