PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 Help Needed.. Who's Succeeded? What Changes Are Needed?

RockPile
05-26-2005, 10:53 PM
My search button is broken... What are the best posts or advice you have been given to beating this 1/2 PP game? I want to tough it out but its damn tough.. Is ABC the way to go? I notice alot of players trying to be tricky...
thanks

Mister Z
05-26-2005, 11:19 PM
Somebody in the 'post your microlimits winnings graph' thread (or whatever it's named) made a good point that at .5/1 those little pots that you lose here and there aren't such a big deal b/c there's always the next 10-20BB pot around the corner - whereas at 1/2, these huge pots are fewer and farther between and so these smaller pots are suddenly a bigger deal.

Plus you've got to take into account that you're learning to blind steal and defend much more often. I'm in the same boat as you by the way. I dropped down to .5/1 and built up the roll some more, re-read more of SSH, and will be jumping back in this weekend. GL.

Isura
05-26-2005, 11:43 PM
Try playing 2 or less tables. Concentrate very hard on acquiring reads on the players. Take good notes. Post some hands. I notice there isn't many 1/2 hands posted here anymore. If you want, , I can go over some of your hand histories (I've beaten 1/2 over a decent sample size) and write back comments. Anyways, I'm getting back into full ring after a stint at 6 max (I'm going to play 2/4), so I think we will both benefit from this. PM me.

DMBFan23
05-26-2005, 11:50 PM
adjusting to shorthanded pots is a big development in 1/2. both from the point of view of the stealer, the defender, and as an EP limper in a 3 way pot kind of a situation. learning how to handle those situations will help your game a lot

also, you can semibluff successfully against the right players.

but you have to sack up and value bet against the others

macdaddy991
05-26-2005, 11:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

at .5/1 those little pots that you lose here and there aren't such a big deal b/c there's always the next 10-20BB pot around the corner - whereas at 1/2, these huge pots are fewer and farther between and so these smaller pots are suddenly a bigger deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

very true, i am getting my ace handed to me at 1/2, at least in the short run, i had the terrible realization that there were some holes in my game that were excusable, because I would get a big pot later to make up for the spewing earlier. I am taking some time to reevaluate my post flop play and reread my solid poker books. I believe that 1/2 is beatable, but need to add a dimension (and perhaps subtract a few dimensions) of my current limit game.

billy51
05-27-2005, 12:29 AM
1/2 is definitely beatable, but it is going to be swingier than .50/1 because the players as a whole are a little better. Beatable, but a little less fishy than at lower levels.

That said, there are some adjustments that you have to make, most of which previous posters have already mentioned (blind stealing, blind defense, knowing when to semibluff and value bet). I think one of the most important things you must learn is patience. You don't get action on all of your big hands at 1/2 like you do at 0.5/1. Unlike lower levels, 1/2 players sometimes fold when they have nothing or a weak draw and you don't always get paid off on your big hands. You can't let impatience cause you to make mistakes that cost you money (i.e. tilt).

McGahee
05-27-2005, 08:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Somebody in the 'post your microlimits winnings graph' thread (or whatever it's named) made a good point that at .5/1 those little pots that you lose here and there aren't such a big deal b/c there's always the next 10-20BB pot around the corner - whereas at 1/2, these huge pots are fewer and farther between and so these smaller pots are suddenly a bigger deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also think that's a very good point.

lionhorse
05-27-2005, 09:29 AM
Going from .5/1 to 1/2 (on Pokerroom anyway), aggression becomes the key. Semi-bluff more, and steal the blinds more, while defending your blinds, and betting your marginal hands for value. You're often down to 3 or less by the turn so the chances that you have the best hand, or can get your opponents to fold increases. Notes also become more important.

joeski19
05-27-2005, 12:02 PM
I recently tried 1/2 for about 15 hrs or so… it’s really tighter than .50/1 . People say “steal the blinds” but everyone at the table knows your stealing the blinds. Also everyone seems to be using the exact same strategy… tight aggressive.

Aren’t you supposed to play a little looser at T-A tables? (To take advantage of the table’s tightness?) That's what TOP and SSHE stresses but nobody seems to play that way. Or advocate playing that way.

deception5
05-27-2005, 01:07 PM
I only have 2.5k hands at 1/2 but have had great luck so far - 6BB/100 (I'll probably be back in a week asking the same questions). The things I have noticed that are different about it compared to .5/1 are that:

1.) Time of day makes a bigger difference. The tables are much looser in the evenings and usually much tighter in the mornings (although they are usually loose all weekend).

2.) There are fewer players who will see every flop. When you find these players you should definitely try to isolate them if possible. 6-max will help here.

3.) Position matters. In .5/1 you can limp in with a suited ace or pocket pair in any position. In 1/2 this may no longer be profitable if it is usually only 3 to the flop or frequently raised preflop.

4.) Position matters. /images/graemlins/smile.gif You will often find it folded to you in MP3 or later. You can raise often with hands in this position you might not normally raise with. You may think the blinds will notice you are stealing, but usually 1 of 4 things will happen. a) You win the blinds (3SB). b) You win with a flop bet when it's checked to you (3-4SB). You will win this very often when the flop is ace high. 3) You fold to a flop bet and cost yourself 2SB. 4) You go to the river with a decent hand which has a good chance of winning. Remember you have position so you can decide which hands the big bets go in on. You definitely need to adapt your stealing strategy depending on how likely the blinds are to call. 6-max helps a _lot_ here (every other hand is a battle for the blinds at some tables).

5.) You will often find that just because a player is tight preflop doesn't mean that they have a clue postflop. When the board gets scary if they often fold when you have a hand start betting on scary boards with no hand. If they often bet the turn when you check start check/raising your good hands. If they call down every time they are in the pot don't semi-bluff and value bet every made hand.

6.) There are fewer players to the flop. One of the biggest differences from .50/1 is that there are often 2-4 players to the flop now. This makes postflop a whole new game. When there are only 3 players to the flop you can often win with second pair. And heads up play is often completely different as you are less concerned about chasing out overcards/draws and more concerned with getting paid off with your big hands.

7.) Pots are smaller. You may need to re-evaluate what hands are "worthy of calling down". Remember that even if you've called the flop bet you've only put in 2-3 SB so far and it will cost 4 more to see the river. You may no longer have odds for the flush/overcards and sometimes you have to give your opponent credit even when you think they are full of it /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Best of luck!
D5

parappa
05-27-2005, 01:19 PM
This is all excellent advice. The only thing I'd add is Isura's advice to only play 1 or 2 tables. For almost anyone, you're going to make more money in terms of bb/100 or $/hr playing at .5/1, 1/2(6-max), or 2/4. 1/2 is considered a good stop for development because it forces you to learn certain parts of your game. This involves focus and really thinking about reading/classifying your opponents. You simply can't do this while 4-tabling or more.

It's cool if you want to play lots of tables, just put 2 .5/1 tables on autopilot in the background and focus heavily on the 1/2 tables you're playing. But this level is for improving your game, rather than profit imo.

Oh, and time of day makes a MASSIVE difference at this level, I think, hence European players saying it's all but unbeatable and California players saying it's just like .5/1, etc. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Isura
05-27-2005, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

It's cool if you want to play lots of tables, just put 2 .5/1 tables on autopilot in the background and focus heavily on the 1/2 tables you're playing. But this level is for improving your game, rather than profit imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very good advice.