PDA

View Full Version : The worst fantasy football draft ever?

The Armchair
05-26-2005, 10:52 PM
This from a SI "expert" (http://si.printthis.clickability.com/pt/cpt?action=cpt&title=SI.com+-+Writers+-+James+Quintong%3A+Football+mock+draft+%96+May+edi tion+-+Thursday+May+19%2C+2005+11%3A41AM&expire=-1&urlID=14283816&fb=Y&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsportsillus trated.cnn.com%2F2005%2Fwriters%2Fjames_quintong%2 F05%2F15%2Fmay.mock%2Findex.html&partnerID=2356):

Here’s the guy’s roster (# of starters in parens):

QB (1): Vick, Carr
RB (2): Portis, Taylor, Suggs, ATrain, Ryan Moats, Moe Williams
WR (3): Harrison, Mason, Moulds, C. Rogers, M. Robinson, E. Parker
TE (1): Wiggins, LJ Smith
PK (1): Longwell
DF (1): Buffalo
He has to also start a “Flex,” defined as a RB/WR/TE.

Of the 18 picks, one is good, one is stellar, and 16 are plain awful. How does he have a job w/the premier sports mag in the nation?

bugstud
05-26-2005, 10:56 PM
Jason Witten, fourth round? wtf?!??

thatpfunk
05-26-2005, 11:02 PM
Ah, this was nice and reminded me of how much I pwn my keeper league.

My RB stable at the moment: McGahee, Rudi Johnson, Domanick Davis, Julius Jones, Travis Henry.

Plus Marvin Harrison, Antonio Gates, and Vick.

I need to do some trading, but I think I have plenty to play with.

The Armchair
05-26-2005, 11:07 PM
How many teams?

thatpfunk
05-26-2005, 11:09 PM

ttleistdci
05-26-2005, 11:12 PM
I stopped looking at his draft after seeing he took Clinton Portis with the 6th pick in the first round. CLINTON PORTIS? FIRST ROUND?

The Armchair
05-26-2005, 11:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I stopped looking at his draft after seeing he took Clinton Portis with the 6th pick in the first round. CLINTON PORTIS? FIRST ROUND?

[/ QUOTE ]

It just gets worse. Portis is an acceptable RB -- even in a bad year in which he lost his best lineman, he was a workhorse, and that's what matters in fantasy football. But you are right: Portis is the guy you want as your #2 back.

Don't even get me started on Fred Taylor.

bugstud
05-26-2005, 11:20 PM
I'm not a big fan of any of the late first round RBs this year.

One guy to avoid is Randy Moss, imo.

BWebb
05-26-2005, 11:23 PM
After LT and Alex, there are so many ???? at RB it is tough. I can't fault the Portis pick because you know what you are getting, even in a down year he produced okay. Maybe D. Davis (especially because 1 pt. rec) or McAllister, but I can't fault him. Taylor and Suggs are horrible picks. With 1 pt a reception, you could go with a WR as a flex and not be hurt. He should have went with C. Johnson in the 3rd. He then could have gotten Bennett later. Suggs is also not a very good pick, IMO. Also, the Vick pick is awful.

ttleistdci
05-26-2005, 11:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It just gets worse. Portis is an acceptable RB -- even in a bad year in which he lost his best lineman, he was a workhorse, and that's what matters in fantasy football. But you are right: Portis is the guy you want as your #2 back.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just terrible though...especially for a so-called expert. Anyone with a little football knowledge knows Clinton Portis was the product of a great system in Denver. He's a good back, don't get me wrong, but he won't touch what he did in Denver.
Watch Ruben Droughns this year if you don't believe how great the rushing system in Denver is. He will struggle just like Portis did his first year in Washington.

The Armchair
05-26-2005, 11:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jason Witten, fourth round? wtf?!??

[/ QUOTE ]

That guy's team is just as bad as the SI guy's:

QB: Brooks, Warner
RB: McGahee, SJackson, Duckett, Shipp, Buckhalter
WR: Holt, Boldin, Lelie, Stallworth, Caldwell, Super Joe, Roddy White
TE: Witten, Cooley
PK: Kaeding
DF: Bears

McGahee, Jackson, and Holt are a good top three, and he has some other decent picks in there (Boldin, Stallworth). I like Witten but not in round 4. But when you have a guy who is wasting picks -- and I mean totally and utterly wasting them -- with guys like Shipp, having a team like Quintong has is patently unacceptable.

BWebb
05-26-2005, 11:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just terrible though...especially for a so-called expert. Anyone with a little football knowledge knows Clinton Portis was the product of a great system in Denver. He's a good back, don't get me wrong, but he won't touch what he did in Denver.
Watch Ruben Droughns this year if you don't believe how great the rushing system in Denver is. He will struggle just like Portis did his first year in Washington.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but he still had 1300 yards, 40 catches and 7 tds. Not bad in an offense that had Mark [censored] Brunnell as its QB for half a season.

The Armchair
05-26-2005, 11:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's just terrible though...especially for a so-called expert.

[/ QUOTE ]

A draft this bad should get him fired. Portis can't be taken over most of the next 15 guys -- I totally agree with that. I mean, Brian Westbrook had 70 catches and 1500 all purpose yards last year -- that's 30 points better than Portis (40 and 1500) had. That is five touchdowns worth of points. What is this guy thinking?

tbach24
05-28-2005, 09:25 AM
Fantasy experts are stupid in general. I believe Brandon Funston got fired from ESPN for picking Nomar 4th overall last year. lol

sleepyjoeyt
05-28-2005, 12:52 PM
Assuming that this is a 24-team league, I don't think this roster is too bad.

Anything less than 24 fantasy teams in this league and this guy should be collecting the supermarket carriages from the parking lot.

Patrick del Poker Grande
05-28-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No way. He is going to be so motivated to have a huge game every game that he's going to have an absolutely amazing year. He wants to kick the Vikings and all us Vikings fans in the nuts. He'll have a year like none other.

BWebb
05-28-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No way. He is going to be so motivated to have a huge game every game that he's going to have an absolutely amazing year. He wants to kick the Vikings and all us Vikings fans in the nuts. He'll have a year like none other.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this also. It will be very similiar to what TO did last year after going to the Eagles.

Patrick del Poker Grande
05-28-2005, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this also. It will be very similiar to what TO did last year after going to the Eagles.

[/ QUOTE ]
Except Moss has more talent, so it'll be magnified even that much more. TO had a better QB, though.

meep_42
05-28-2005, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Except Moss has more talent, so it'll be magnified even that much more. TO had a better QB, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

More importantly, what else are the Raiders going to do except chuck the ball downfield and hope for the best?

-d

Patrick del Poker Grande
05-28-2005, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

More importantly, what else are the Raiders going to do except chuck the ball downfield and hope for the best?

-d

[/ QUOTE ]
That too.