PDA

View Full Version : straight

soah
05-26-2005, 10:46 PM
Party 2/4 6-max

My second orbit at the table. Up to this point I've limped on the button once, completed my SB a couple times, folded the rest of my hands, and not made it past the flop a single time. So this is my ninth hand at the table, and I have K /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif and openraise to $12 in the CO. Both blinds call.

Flop is A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif and they check to me, I bet $24 (hoping my tight image would be enough to get them to fold anything worse than a pair of aces) but they both call.

Turn is J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and we all check.

River is T /images/graemlins/club.gif and SB bets full pot, BB folds.

SB so far has been a bit LAG, but hasn't done anything stupid.

Malachii
05-27-2005, 12:03 AM
I call. You can't raise obviously, but he could've paired his kicker on the river.

Allinlife
05-27-2005, 12:06 AM
I'd think a LAG would semibluff the flop...this could be 2 pair or bluff attempt given your turn check. I'd call especially since this is short handed.

soah
05-27-2005, 05:22 AM
When I say he's been a little LAG, that means that I've seen several hands where he's limped in and bet the flop when it got checked to him. Not that he's in there spewing chips and trying to overrun the table.

In this instance he is out of position, and it's likely that the flop has hit someone. I have no evidence to support the notion that he would play a bare flush draw aggressively in these circumstances. Being LAG is not the same as being stupid.

TheWorstPlayer
05-27-2005, 09:30 AM
To me, his play seems consistent with a tentatively played AT, whiffed turn c/r with 33/44, possibly TT (this is sometimes not raised from the blinds), and then obviously a flush and a bluff. I think all of the worse made hands are pretty unlikely, despite being possible. Looks to me to be much more likely to be a flush or a bluff. The problem is that your check on the turn could easily have induced a bluff. And now the pot is certainly big enough to be worth bluffing over. However, if he didn't have the flush, he would have to worry about the BB having been on the flush draw (which seems plenty likely). So I would be much happier making this call against the BB than the SB. Also, your play is actually quite consistent with a flush draw, yourself. So, I think there is a high likelihood that he actually has it, since it doesn't seem like a very good spot to bluff. However, is that likelihood greater than 60%? I think it is and I lay it down. But I'm not very happy about it.

soah
05-27-2005, 08:00 PM
I have a hard time believing that this is a bluff, because there aren't really many busted hands that he could have... maybe 65?

It just felt like he couldn't bet there... at least not for the full size of the pot... without the flush. If he doesn't have the flush, then he has to be worried that the BB has it.

If he had two pair or a set or something and wanted to bet, it just seems like he would bet less...

But alas, I didn't have enough of a read on him to be sure that he was smart enough to think everything through in this much detail, so I made the crying call, and he showed me the nut flush with KJs.