PDA

View Full Version : cruising on the 2-10

mikelow
12-15-2002, 01:22 PM
In a typical loose 30-60 game I get 10 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 2 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif in the small blind. This game has waves of aggression and passivity (a good amount of player turnover). EP limps, cutoff
limps (all others have folded), and I toss in a chip and BB raps the table.

First question: Are there any hands you would fold in te small blind for just one chip?

Four of us see:

9 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 2 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

Bottom pair--my just reward for playing this garbage. With the draws possible, this looks like check and fold, but I decide to bet. BB folds, EP calls, and the cutoff raises. He likes to push a lot of draws, even some thin ones. My choices to call (worst), fold (could be right with bottom pair and bottom overcard and no draws), and raise (might get EP out). I go for the three-bet. EP and cutoff both call--not what I wanted.

Turn is:

[ 9 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 2 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif] 7 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

With a gutshot to go along with bottom pair, I bet. Comments?

andyfox
12-15-2002, 05:08 PM
"Are there any hands you would fold in the small blind for just one chip?"

T-2o seems an ideal candidate. . .

"With a gutshot to go along with bottom pair, I bet. Comments?"

. . .for just this reason. Not a spot I want to voluntarily put $160 into the pot.

Hope you ended up enjoying the cruise though.

Dynasty
12-15-2002, 08:14 PM
Big little offsuit hands should still be folded in the 2/3 blind structure.

I think I would have check-folded on the flop. If you're opponent has a flush draw with two overcards to your pair of 2's /forums/images/icons/smile.gif then he's a favorite to draw out on you. With another player in the pot, I don't want to continue on with the hand.

The turn card gives you enough to see the river. Given the way the hand has been played, you should bet the turn and river.

mikelow
12-16-2002, 04:26 PM
Here's what happened:

Both called my bet. River was:

[9 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 2 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif ] 7 /forums/images/icons/club.gif

I bet on the off-chance I might get a six to fold. Had to show strength. Both folded without showing--were they both on draws? I may have gotten a better hand to fold.

Anyway, this hand enabled me to escape with a small win on the night. It was quite a ride.

astroglide
12-17-2002, 01:47 AM
playing t2o in the sb and caring about 'wins for the night' aren't a recipe for success

cero_z
12-17-2002, 03:43 AM
I don't fold much for 1/3 of a bet, but T2o hits the muck unless I'm feelin' real frisky, which you obviously were. Sounds like you got carried away for some reason, since you have every indication of being badly beaten until the turn, where you should now take a card off, due to your "lucky" catch, and all the money that's been put in the pot (with 2 ducks). Seriously, I'm not trying to rip you, but there are tons of reasons to fold on the flop. The big ones: hitting your kicker may cost a lot if it's the T /forums/images/icons/heart.gif , or if one of your opponents has a legitimate hand like 87 or T9.
All that said, most of us get loosy goosey once in a while. The only thing I'd worry about is that you seem a little proud of this hand.

brad
12-17-2002, 09:29 AM
well if you really did have good reads on the other players then this is exactly the type of hand that will get people calling you and idiot when in reality your just playing right on the edge and probably taking a bit the worst of it. (say you make the straight and have to show against top pair or A5h that makes idiot end of straight (he puts you on top pair and pays you off or something) )

but i think you have to evaluate your play in terms of what is consisted of; if most of your play is based on very good reads of other players then it really shouldnt be evaluated on general principles.

having said that i think andy fox's advice of never playing anything with a deuce in it is very excellent and you can easily throw it away preflop.