PDA

View Full Version : California Trip Planning - Please Help (Non-Poker)

Jeffage
05-26-2005, 10:08 PM
Ok, so I'm going to California in about 2 weeks wth some friends. We are going to fly in San Francisco, spend two nights there. Then we're driving to Carmel, staying for one night. And finally LA for 2 nights before flying to Vegas.

So, what are some of the must-see attractions and restaurants (pricey is ok, but no more than like $100 a person--moderate options appreciated also). In San. Fran, we're staying in Fishermans Wharf...LA, we'll be by the Universal City Walk. What are some cool things to see and do?

Also, what are some golf suggestiosn for Carmel?

Thanks for your help...

Jeff

BWebb
05-26-2005, 10:16 PM
Not sure if you like baseball, but if the Giants are in town you should check out PacBell. Strip clubs are on Broadway and no matter what anyone else in this thread tells you (especially Big Steve) do not go to the Castro district.

billyjex
05-26-2005, 10:19 PM
definetely take highway 1 all the way down from SF.. beautiful drive.

touchfaith
05-26-2005, 10:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so I'm going to California in about 2 weeks wth some friends. We are going to fly in San Francisco, spend two nights there. Then we're driving to Carmel, staying for one night. And finally LA for 2 nights before flying to Vegas.

So, what are some of the must-see attractions and restaurants (pricey is ok, but no more than like $100 a person--moderate options appreciated also). In San. Fran, we're staying in Fishermans Wharf...LA, we'll be by the Universal City Walk. What are some cool things to see and do?

Also, what are some golf suggestiosn for Carmel?

Thanks for your help...

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, OK...I usually would not give information to people coming here, but since it definately sounds like you will just be visiting and I am confident you will leave, I will share some tidbits... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Don't tell anybody any of this. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

First off, in the city... definately see a Giants game if they are in town. Ball fan or not, you will enjoy the park. Most of the time when I go, I barely even see my seat, I just walk around and have fun. Don't forget to get your hand stamped and go see an inning from outside at the knot-hole area...

As for Fishermans Wharf...Check it out for a bit early maybe, or late, but for the most part...see it and bail. It will be one of the most crouded areas you visit and the touristy time crap-things you can buy there are just that...touristy-crap...

From there, you can either do the Alcatraz thing (not bad), hop on a cable car (very cool ride and views, but packed with tourists like you) or, what I prefer, is to take a cruise of the bay on the Red & White Fleet (or is it Blue & Gold?)...either way, it's a fun ride around Alcatraz and over to the Golden Gate and back...

As for the night, I recommend a comedy club. There are a ton in the city so just pick up a local guide or hit the web from your room and find something you like. I think a few of them are in North Beach which is (fairly) safe at night, but don't get any ideas about 'strolling back to the room'...stay with the crouds. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Ok...now leave SF...it sucks there anyways. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

If you can, as mentioned, definately drive down the coast to Carmel instead of flying or whatever it was you had planned. Especially if it is clear. It is a looooong drive (150 driving miles easy with all the curves, probably more), but well worth it...

Unless it's foggy... (which it will be) /images/graemlins/grin.gif

As for golf in Carmel...Unless you are going to try and play Pebble or something, there is no better choice then Carmel Valley Ranch (http://www.cvrgolf.com/). It is an excellent course and you will definately want to bring your camera if your are the picture type. It is a $180 course on Sundays...but...if you promise not to tell anyone...it can be played for $69 (cart included) by going to Golf707 (www.golf707.com) a day or two prior and checking for a time. They will usually have an 11:00am time or so for either $59 or $69...shhhhh

Oh, and speaking of golf, you may want to check out Harding Park while your in the city. It was just recently listed as a top100 following renovation...

Oh, and remember...you have to leave when you are done.

<font color="red"> No Vacancy </font>

/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Jeffage
05-26-2005, 11:30 PM
Thx for the advice! We're actually staying at the Wyndham in Carmel...I'm definitely thinking we should play at the Ranch and will def. look into the last min discount. What do you think of the twighlight golf option (after 2). This might work for us considering we are planning on drinking quite a bit (and it's 69 I believe). Any good restaurants in the Carmel area?

Jeff

Ianco15
05-26-2005, 11:49 PM
Thinman:
If you spell "definitely" one more time with an "a" I will destroy you.

Oh and to the OP: Check out Marin County while you're in San Fran. It's on the other side of the GG bridge. Go to Sausalito and downtown Tiburon for some nice restaurants and fantastic views of San Fran.

BTW - Most of San Fran is a shithole. It's better just to look at from across the bay.

touchfaith
05-26-2005, 11:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thinman: If you spell "definitely" one more time with an "a" I will destroy you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definately do not give a rats-ass about spelling on internet forums....or the A's for that matter. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ianco15
05-26-2005, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thinman: If you spell "definitely" one more time with an "a" I will destroy you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definately do not give a rats-ass about spelling on internet forums....or the A's for that matter. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you like the 49ers though, a team which I love infintely more than the A's or any other team.

touchfaith
05-27-2005, 12:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thx for the advice! We're actually staying at the Wyndham in Carmel...I'm definitely thinking we should play at the Ranch and will def. look into the last min discount. What do you think of the twighlight golf option (after 2). This might work for us considering we are planning on drinking quite a bit (and it's 69 I believe). Any good restaurants in the Carmel area?

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll finish 18 as long as you start by 4 this time of year (light till 8:30-9)...

Not sure on the grub down there, but I'd imagine one of the nicer hotels, or the Wyndham or course, will have a very nice restraunt...If not, a drive to Pebble Beach for dinner would be very nice and if you time it right, you can catch the sunset from some awesome spots on 17-mile drive.

touchfaith
05-27-2005, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hope you like the 49ers though, a team which I love infintely more than the A's or any other team.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm getting a collective 'EWWWWWWW' from both sides of my brain on that one...

GO STEELERS BABY!!!!

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ianco15
05-27-2005, 12:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
GO STEELERS BABY!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
At least you don't like the Rams or Cowboys. (or Patriots)

touchfaith
05-27-2005, 12:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh...and if you have never been out here and are the walk-about type...

Walk across the Golden Gate Bridge.

Driving across sucks, costs $5 and is (very) dangerous for tourists who (understandably) want to look while driving...bad idea on the bridge...Thin lanes + lots of wind + no median divider = Head-on Crash. Happens all the time.

Walking is a BLAST! I first did it when I was in 6th grade and even if we hadn't smuggled beers onto the school bus, it STILL would have been great! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Oh...but bring a jacket...even if it's sunny, but I think it's fairly safe to say it will be foggy...we are in that groove right now out here and it lasts for about 5 months.

rmarotti
05-27-2005, 03:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
definetely take highway 1 all the way down from SF.. beautiful drive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Best advice in the thread.

Jeffage
05-27-2005, 12:15 PM
Any other suggestions?

Thanks for all the posts so far!

Jeff