PDA

View Full Version : Online 1-table Sats Fancy Play

MS Sunshine
12-15-2002, 09:31 AM
I have been doing well in these sats, but I've stumbled across a Fancy play which might counter one of my Fancy plays. Everyone starts with $800, blinds $10-$15, 50-30-20% and it's NLH.

My Fancy play falls more in the catagory of blunt force truma. In the first 20 hands, with many limpers and few if any players to act I all-in with premium hands pre-flop. Since I try to find tables with known loose aggressives or complete unknowns, for the most part, I find that these types of players will call with their small pairs and Axs.

Well, even the slow-witted seem to adapt, for one of my loose ag players has started to limp pre-flop with KK behind multiple limpers. The first time I saw him do it I was not involved, but the second time I got stung with a big pair(JJ or QQ) by him.

This morning I sit behind him and the first hand I'm BB and he is the SB. I have crap, but he calls in the small blind after a couple of limpers come in. He has KK. Flop comes ace high and he loses about $100 to the first limper who had A3o.

Three hands later, while I'm still thinking about this play and how it will effect me, I pick up AQo in cut-off with three limpers to me, including our raise weak-limp strong player. Now, this hand is almost too weak for this move, I have 3 players who have not acted and our KK limper has limped, but I'm head-strong(or stupid) I raise all-in. One player who was second limper, pretty tight player calls with KK. I'm out.

Now, I may have been on a good run of players making bone-head calls against me and I should wake-up and smell the pavement. After the really poor callers get busted out I'm back to my usual 3-5XBB first raiser thingie, but I hate just giving this up, but everything was built on people limpimg with crap, I'm having the best hand and someone calling with a small pair or Ace-icky because they're stupid.

Comments are welcome, please take into account that this is $33-55 internet poker sats.

MS Sunshine

ohkanada
12-16-2002, 11:26 AM
The concept is interesting and can work against the right opponents but against these same opponents do you need to do this? If they are poor players, you should just be able to play your cards and position instead of vastly overbetting the pot to hope to "double-up" early.

Ken Poklitar

Greg (FossilMan)
12-16-2002, 11:41 AM
You say you only do it with premium hands. Please define.

If you're getting called by crap a lot more often than you're getting trapped by KK/AA, then it's still a good play for you.

I very much dislike the play of the people limping after multiple limpers with KK/AA. How often are YOU going to have a premium hand that you'll raise with? Much more often than not they will find themselves with a big pair facing a big field, and have no clue whether they've still got the best hand postflop. Now, if you're raising to steal, and doing it frequently, their trap becomes a good play. But since you're only doing it with premium hands, they're setting themselves up much more often than they're setting up you.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)