PDA

View Full Version : Best & Worst Saturday Night Live Actor Ever.

rusty JEDI
12-15-2002, 05:35 AM
im young so i dont have the full range to draw from, but highlights i have seen of older actors such as steve martin and others suck, IMO. it could be because SNL is often current events based and i am missing many inside jokes. i would also like to hear who you think the worst is.

well my vote goes out to Will Ferrell for best ever.

my vote for worst ever goes to Chris Kattan. (could mango be any stupider, and every character he plays is just a carbon copy of all his other ones.) I cant wait till he leaves the show.

lets see what everyone else thinks. maybe this will get some play like the favourite fruits did.

MMMMMM
12-15-2002, 09:31 AM
I haven't watched much in recent years (and the few times I did catch a glimpse I was a bit disappointed), so I can't comment on the folks you mention.

The original cast was, as I recall: John Belushi, Dan Aykroyd, Gilda Radner, Bill Murray, Chevy Chase, Jane Curtin, Garret Morris, and Father Guido Sarducci. Now that's a whole lot of talent in one place.

Although Garret Morris and Father Guido Sarducci seemed to get less exposure than the others, I particularly liked their bits (especially Garret Morris playing a star ballplayer in an interview: "Baseball, being very good to me:...Baseball...being very good, to me.....Baseball, being very good...to me........baseball being very good to me.......Baseball being...VERY good....to me!.........

Ray Zee
12-15-2002, 11:07 AM
anytime you look way back at older things, they seem really bad compared to the present. thats because you are out of place there. you have to have been there and been part of the action at the time just as you suggest. also in the present there is always more resources to do a better job. execpt with comedy. with comedy as time goes on the jokes that are new become fewer barring current events. i used to love SNL but now if i can stay awake till around 11:15 when they do the news i will watch that part of it. unfortunitely us old farmers fall asleep on the couch if we arent in bed by 10 or 11.
but that ferrell guy and the short girl that both scream at you and do the stupid cheerleader dances always make me beep them away, and not go back to the show. i dont know what happened but the show isnt funney anymore. maybe i have changed or time is passing me by.

M2d
12-15-2002, 02:48 PM
I'm a youngun, but I love the old cast, hate the new, and think that Eddie Murphy was the best of the lot.

RINCON
12-15-2002, 04:18 PM
Im also a young pup..but I like John Belushi,Chevy Chase(great at physical comedy)hasn't done anything in years worth while though!Don't watch the show anymore but most of the women on there are annoying!

RINCON

M2d
12-15-2002, 04:24 PM
agreed. I usually watch until the news if I watch at all. My wife likes the show (or what the show was/could be), but always ends up complaining about how bad it was. I guess some people keep on banging their heads against the wall unless you remove the wall.

Also agree that Belushi was great, but his brand of comedy isn't my favorite.

MMMMMM
12-15-2002, 04:48 PM
^

Michael Davis
12-16-2002, 11:37 AM
Best: Phil Hartmann (sp?). He is not the flashiest, the prettiest, or any of that junk, but the guy made every skit he was in. He was also unbelievably versatile.

Worst: There's a whole lot of them on right now. Molly Shannon comes to mind. Colin Quinn. Chris Kattan works. Tim Meadows was awful. John Goodman's routine "guest" appearances are irksome.

Dennis Miller and Adam Sandler were also terrible on SNL, and much better after they escaped the nuthouse. But neither of them comes close to the worst ever, I suppose.

Mike

marbles
12-16-2002, 12:06 PM
Steve Martin was never a part of the cast, but he performed more classic skits/characters than ANY of the current cast will ever dream of. He is easily the best guest the show has ever had.

The best regular cast member, imo, is three-horse race between Hartman, Murphy, and Carvey. No one comes close to them in versatility and sheer volume of hilarious characters.

Worst cast member is much tougher. Ferrell is the best of the current lot (making him mediocre at best), but the rest of them would all be in the hunt for worst cast member ever. If I was absolutely forced, I'd have to go with Kattan.

Also, Sandler is easily the most overrated cast member.

patrick dicaprio
12-16-2002, 01:46 PM
when i saw your title that is what i thought of. for my money steven seagal was by far the worst.

Pat

rusty JEDI
12-16-2002, 06:42 PM
worst guest star is a good category too... Did anyone catch robert deniro the other week. his eyes never left the teleprompter or cue card or whatever they use. it was absolutely terrible.

Derek Jeter's acting was weak like segal, but somehow his charisma or something made every skit he was in work very well

M2d
12-16-2002, 07:20 PM
Jeter and the Rock were my favorites in recent memory. Gore showed me something last weekend as well. I don't expect much from the guest stars, but the ones who are willing to go along with the skits, even when they end up being the butt of their own jokes, are the ones who rate highly in my mind.