PDA

View Full Version : Are there “categories” of forum posters?

PE101
05-26-2005, 07:08 PM
It seems that forums (not just this one) have certain types of posters. Here is a list of some categories that I’ve identified, how about adding some others…

Coach
This person really wants to help or contribute to the discussion. Their responses are always polite and thoughtful. They may or may not be correct. They are a good member of the forum!

Professor
This person is similar to the Coach, but is usually more opinionated. Their responses may not be as cordial as the Coach’s, but their usually correct. Their posts may be long, but they’re usually right on topic. They are also a good member of the forum!

Joker
Although not malicious, is usually not very serious. Occasionally, has something useful to say, but that’s not necessarily a goal of the Joker.

Egotist
This person just wants to see their words on the web. Is usually quick to criticize another post, but rarely adds any actual content to the discussion. This is the kind of person that posts over 8 thousand messages in 471 days (over 17 posts/day). Although sometimes they may post useful stuff, their signal to noise ratio is way out of whack. Personally, I like to see this person either go away or become a Coach. (But I know that won't happen.)

Newby
Although they often post into the wrong forum, or ask questions that have been discussed ad nauseam, they are serious and often start very interesting discussions. They are very important to any forum!

What do you think?