PDA

View Full Version : Ladies

Jakesta
05-26-2005, 05:18 PM
What would you do in this situation? A re-raise is out of the question, obviously, so the choice is call down or fold. I worry about someone taking a shot at me, so this can play into my decision sometimes.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, CO folds, Button calls.

Flop: (9 SB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, Button calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero ?

gharp
05-26-2005, 05:28 PM
I'd call down. Since he didn't raise the flop, a K seems unlikely. This looks like some goofball who's semi-bluffing a flush draw or someone who spiked a funky two pair (52 or J2). Against those hands, you have a lot of outs.

[ QUOTE ]
A re-raise is out of the question

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know that it's out of the question, though it's not what I would do. I'm curious to see if anyone else will recommend it...

Sarge85
05-26-2005, 05:29 PM
Villian has AJ/images/graemlins/spade.gif (or the likes) and wants a free showdown.

Just something to consider.

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

MDO67
05-26-2005, 05:31 PM
I think I call this one in real time (because I am not that good yet).

Looking at it here with time to consider the alternatives though I think I'm folding. Probable hole cards the villain has: Pair of 2s and just made a set, or a Kx and made the pair but they played it slow on the flop. Either way you are beat.

Jakesta
05-26-2005, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I don't know that it's out of the question, though it's not what I would do. I'm curious to see if anyone else will recommend it...

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's why I don't like a re-raise: If he caps then I must fold immediately. There are no hands that I beat a cap with, and I don't have odds to draw to the third queen.

Calling the turn raise and check-calling the river seems like the best plan to see showdown, in my opinion.

shadow29
05-26-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's why I don't like a re-raise: If he caps then I must fold immediately. There are no hands that I beat a cap with, and I don't have odds to draw to the third queen.

Calling the turn raise and check-calling the river seems like the best plan to see showdown, in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why the hell would you do this when you can call down for the same price?!

irishpint
05-26-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Villian has AJ/images/graemlins/spade.gif and wants a free showdown.

Just something to consider.

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Do we have a read on button? There arent too many Kx hands that I'll limp from the button, usually those are raises or folds, weird 2 pair wouldn't be possible if we have a solid player. My guess is like sarge...he either has a J and wants a free showdown or has a pair and now a flush draw and wants another free showdown/fold equity if he misses.

Jakesta
05-26-2005, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why the hell would you do this when you can call down for the same price?!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I'm saying, shadow. There is no point to re-raising.

AmarilloJim1
05-26-2005, 05:35 PM
There is a lot of bluffing in these limits...

I'd call the raise and check/call the river every time.

- Jim

Jakesta
05-26-2005, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the responses folks. Here is the rest of the hand, and the results:

Turn: (5.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Qs Qc (three of a kind, queens).
Button has Kh Js (two pair, kings and jacks).
Outcome: Hero wins 13.50 BB. </font>

I suck out g00t? /images/graemlins/grin.gif Who likes the river check-raise? Or should I have just bet. I know the results influence it but I thought it was a good idea.

irishpint
05-26-2005, 05:36 PM
a set is possible, too. forgot to mention that. i see sets played like this a lot and 77 or 22 would be limps from the button.

gharp
05-26-2005, 05:41 PM
Mmmmm...nice river. Serves him right for slow-playing two pair on the flop.

I think I'd lead the river and hope he raises me. Plus I'd kill myself if it was checked through.

Jakesta
05-26-2005, 06:03 PM
Good point. If he was playing AJs like this then he'd probably check it through. I was just very confident that he would bet, so I wanted to do the CR. Maybe I got too greedy.

Nak
05-26-2005, 07:27 PM
I know just what you mean about worrying that people are taking a shot at you. I do it all the time, and it costs me money. In this situation, the pot is large, so call the turn raise.

When your (and my) paranoid tendencies really cripple the bank roll is when we go too far in small pots because we think that that idiot doesn't have a hand. This can be really costly. I have to force myself to tighten up in small pots to combat this paranoia.

Nak

Jakesta
05-26-2005, 07:44 PM
Great post.

Does this qualify as a small pot?