PDA

View Full Version : Psychology of checking your stack

J_V
12-14-2002, 11:03 PM
I have always been someone who likes to know how much they are up or down at all times. In live play, I count my chips often. On the internet, I check the cashier after every decent pot I play. It's almost like an addiction. Checking the cashier seems harmless but causes me some problems. I might tilt if I see how much I am down for a session, which doesn't happen often, but I do tilt once in while. Also, it can cause me to force my way back to even before I quit (i.e. if you are down a 100, you might try a blind steal that isn't called for to get back to even). Also, I am a person who doesn't like to leave on a loss so I occassionally try to force my way even.

So, I decided that I wouldn't look at the cashier at all. Maybe at the end of the week. This would help me not get results oriented and I really feel like it would help me play my best game at all times. I have been at it three hours. I looked once in the first half hour, couldn't help it - since I got brutalized I had to see how much I was down. But the next three hours, I didn't look and I still haven't and it feels great. This has been one of my best played sessions this month. I really think I found something here. Something about not knowing where you stand prevents tilt. Since, I play three 15/30 games, often shorthanded, it is easy for me to lose track of where I am. I doubt I could guess my stack within 500 dollars right now. Really gets the focus off results.

You guys should try it and let me know what you think?

Thanks in advance.

JTG51
12-14-2002, 11:57 PM
Are you saying the site you play on doesn't show you how much money you have while you are playing? That seems bizarre to me.

J_V
12-15-2002, 12:06 AM
No I am saying that I don't check my cashier. I play three games at one time, and hop in and out adding on if I lose some quickly. So, if I don't check for about half an hour it is difficult to know how much I am up or down without going to the cashier.

soda
12-15-2002, 01:16 PM
Yeah, it's easy to lose track. I put my cashiers so that I can see my balances at all times. I'm going to stop doing that and try to stop looking every two seconds.

Good Post JV, thanks for the advice.

soda

Mark H
12-16-2002, 12:40 AM
i try to play tight agressive lower limits usualy when i get to atable i usualy dump my chips in a pile and just keep my chips a mess it does 2 things that i see people talk about your mess and dont notice my play as much, you can spend the time stacking watching ps its also a chick magnet some girls cant stand the mess and try to stack them for you

balt999
12-16-2002, 02:22 PM
I also have a bad habit of checking the cashier after every pot I win and every big loss....sometimes, it effects the way I play...next time, I'm going to try and keep my cashier off until I'm done for the night...

rockoon
12-23-2002, 10:40 AM
here is an idea: buy in for everything you got (online)

J_V
12-23-2002, 03:12 PM
Why would I do that? I do have a lot on there, however. Probably more than normal people would feel comfortable with. Don't understand your point?

JAA
12-24-2002, 02:45 AM
After reading your post, I thought that maybe it would be a good idea to stop checking my cashier every showdown. I never realized how much of a habit it had become for me until your post induced me to reflect on it. So I declaed, as of Dec. 21, 2002, I would only check my cashier twice a session: at the beginning and at the end. This will allow me to focus more on the games I am in and hopefully allow me to play better. I like the sounds of this.

Conclusion: I can't do it!!! Now I know how heroine addicts must feel.....Win a monster pot??? Oh yah baby show me that cashier! Took a bad beat huh?? I NEED to know how much it hurt me.. Feel like you've been getting blinded to death for the past 2 hours? Show me that it's not as bad as I think baby!

Anywho I had to give it up....maybe cold turkey isn't the answer for me....

- JAA

thebroker
12-24-2002, 12:28 PM
I keep at least 350bb for my limit in my account. With at least this much in my roll I don't have to worry about one session worth of swings. Are you guys playing a short roll? Maybe that is why you feel you have to look constantly. As to putting it all on the table, I feel it is a bad idea. Gives away too much info how you been running lately.

rockoon
12-24-2002, 03:41 PM
Poker is a game of information but this information is poison. If I do not adjust my play based on my stack size or "how I have been running lately" but you think I might be because of something as silly as a large buy-in, then you lose.

JAA
12-25-2002, 12:13 AM
What you said makes sense, but I have over 400 BB in my account and still look every couple minutes....I don't really know why. It's not that I'm worried about the swings (I've been playing for quite a while and have grown used to them). There's just something about knowing exactly where I'm at each moment that keeps me checking.

- JAA

thebroker
12-27-2002, 04:55 AM
What I mean is this. I see guys online that play with their whole roll say $3000, on the table. With a player like this you know how they've been running lately. There are many players that do this at all limits on paradise. It's nothing major but it is not info I wanna give away. That is why I buy for 50 bb and reload if I drop 20bb.