PDA

View Full Version : I hate car-insurance

MicroBob
05-26-2005, 02:31 PM
i have minimal car-insurance because the law requires it.
I'have had a a few speeding tickets before so I'm paying about $60-65/mth.
Just had to renew it today.

The thing is....my car is a beat-up 96 chevy with 165k
miles.
It runs just dandy and I am hoping to get rid of it in the semi-near future of course.

But the question is, why the hell does the law make me pay $700/year to insure a car that is probably not worth much more than $1000-$1400?

It just pisses me off.

so what if I'm at fault for someone else's car if we have a wreck?
it's up to me to decide if I can afford whatever my legal obligation might be and/or take that chance if I can't.

J.R.
05-26-2005, 02:32 PM
it has nothing to do with the value of your car..

J.R.
05-26-2005, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it's up to me to decide if I can afford whatever my legal obligation might be and/or take that chance if I can't.

[/ QUOTE ]

its not the value of their car the state are worried about either

medicaid, E.R. visits generally can't be refused for financial reasons, reducing load on the judicial system and economy

LaggyLou
05-26-2005, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We in the law business have a term for those who are broke: "judgment proof". In essence, those who are broke can cause all sorts of mayhem and pass on the cost to their victims and/or the rest of us. IOW< Those who are broke aren't "taking a a chance", as you put it -- they are freerolling. Thus, the insurance requirement.

2planka
05-26-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
$700/year to insure a car

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife and I are both "step 9" drivers. This is the lowest risk level in Massachusetts. To insure two cars, I pay over $2200 per year. I wish I had your insurance bill.

youtalkfunny
05-26-2005, 04:35 PM
How much cheaper is car insurance in NH?

I'm moving up there later this summer, and I had a feeling that car insurance would be enough to make me choose SE NH over NE MA.

mistrpug
05-26-2005, 04:57 PM
You'd hate it even more if you lived in Philadelphia, which has some of the highest rates in the country. I pay almost $2400 a year just for me, and that's fairly low compared to most of my friends and family.

daryn
05-26-2005, 05:00 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
How much cheaper is car insurance in NH?

I'm moving up there later this summer, and I had a feeling that car insurance would be enough to make me choose SE NH over NE MA.

[/ QUOTE ]

funny enough, i think NH is one of the states that doesn't require auto insurance!

NoTalent
05-26-2005, 05:06 PM
Why don't you guys move down to Texas, where half the drivers don't have car insurance. Guess who's paying for it? ME!!! /images/graemlins/mad.gif

When I moved here, my insurance was more than my friend who got arrested 6 months prior for DUI (he drove a 99 2-door sport accord) and I have a crappy 4 door exploder and no tickets.

Deathbear
05-26-2005, 05:48 PM
That's cheaper than what I pay. I'm 22, live in Arizona and had my last accident 4.5 years ago and I pay $220/mo even with a 1 mile commute to work. I drive a 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer LS.

NoTalent
05-26-2005, 06:25 PM
Yes, you are correct--that is much more than I was paying. In 2001 when I moved here, I was paying $920 every 6 months for my policy on a 96 Ford Explorer.

Now I'm married and over 25 years old (and have USAA insurance) I'm only paying about $400 every 6 months /images/graemlins/smile.gif

TStoneMBD
05-26-2005, 06:30 PM
its ridiculous. its precisely why this country is run by idiots. the reason why you pay so much in car insurance is because when somebody gets in an accident that wasnt their fault, they get to sue the insurance company for 5 million dollars because they tore a ligament.

getting into an accident has never been such a profitable endeavor as it is today.

bernie
05-26-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But the question is, why the hell does the law make me pay $700/year to insure a car that is probably not worth much more than $1000-$1400?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's cheap.

heh. I used to pay 3K a year for minimal liability (pertaining to what my job required) with a clean record.

It's not necesarily about protecting 'your' car. How about the car you slam into? Ever been hit by someone w/o insurance? It's a blast.

b

youtalkfunny
05-27-2005, 01:32 AM
Interestingly, I got an unexpected check in the mail today for $250. My wife was rear-ended by a judgement-proof kid almost two years ago. They sent us a check to cover half of our deductable. They must've been able to recover something from the kid. SWEET!

Derek in NYC
05-27-2005, 01:55 AM
Interesting. My wife and I insure our 2005 CR-V in Manhattan for about $1400 a year for maximum (and I mean maximum) coverage. Your rates must be age specific, since I cant imagine it gets worse than Manhattan.

CCass
05-27-2005, 10:29 AM
Bob:

It is because you are in Memphis. Live in a better part of TN (like me) and your rates won't be as high. You and I are roughly the same age, and my wife and I pay $864 a year to insure our two vehicles ('93 Explorer and '97 Dodge Caravan).

Freakin
05-27-2005, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
its ridiculous. its precisely why this country is run by idiots. the reason why you pay so much in car insurance is because when somebody gets in an accident that wasnt their fault, they get to sue the insurance company for 5 million dollars because they tore a ligament.

getting into an accident has never been such a profitable endeavor as it is today.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was rearended 2 years ago. I have had daily back pain for the last 2 years. It is all soft-tissue damage, and there is no structural damage. My medical bills were about $10k . I have a fantastic trial lawyer who handles multi-million medical malpractice lawsuits. The insurance company of the driver who hit me offered about $1500 over the medical bills as compensation for my pain and suffering. [censored] them. I can't even sit on a couch without my back hurting like a bitch, and it's all because of jackasses claiming whiplash and getting hundreds of thoudands from insurance companies for the last decade. My lawyer was able to get me a bit more money, both by getting a slightly larger settlement, and by getting my PIP carrier to accept less for the bills they paid (so they're getting screwed too).

If I had any amount of structural damage that caused me similar (or less) pain, it would be worth easily $50k, but I feel like the insurance company is sticking it in my pooper, and there's not a damn thing I can do about it.

So basically we're overpaying because we made a bunch of jackasses who claimed whiplash rich, and now people who are actually hurt have a hard time being compensated when they are hit.

Oh, and not having insurance is a real dick/stupid thing to do. Because if you hit someone and hurt them, either you're being sued for most of your possessions, or you declare bankruptcy and they have to pay for auto &amp; medical bills out of pocket (which could easily break someone).

Freakin

1800GAMBLER
05-27-2005, 11:01 AM
I'm 20 in Britland and if i wanted a car my insurance would cost me $4500/year. Be somewhat happy.