PDA

View Full Version : If you belch in your mouth, can other people hear it?

MoreWineII
05-26-2005, 01:13 PM
I've always wondered that and yet I've never asked before, go figure. But the time has come to solve the mystery, please help.

TStoneMBD
05-26-2005, 01:16 PM
what do you think your mouth stops all penetrating sound waves?

walk down the street, close your mouth and start humming as loud as you can. see if the other pedestrians can hear you.

better yet, why dont you just close your mouth and belch into your computer microphone and record it. this is full proof.

GuyOnTilt
05-26-2005, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this is full proof.

[/ QUOTE ]

I laughed.

PS. Why am I still up?

GoT

MoreWineII
05-26-2005, 01:27 PM
Isn't humming as loud as you can different from just a simple belch though, volume-wise?

This isn't means to be so much a scientific question about whether or not sounds can penetrate your closed mouth.

I just want to know if a random person standing 10-20 feet away can hear an average-volume belch when I do it without opening my mouth.

Shajen
05-26-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't humming as loud as you can different from just a simple belch though, volume-wise?

This isn't means to be so much a scientific question about whether or not sounds can penetrate your closed mouth.

I just want to know if a random person standing 10-20 feet away can hear an average-volume belch when I do it without opening my mouth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whenever I am faced with one of life's great mysteries like this one, I just think to myself: WWHD?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bristol/content/features/2002/animated_encounters/groening/homer.jpg

True to form, Homer answers me:

Why on earth would you want to hide your belch behind a closed mouth?

Be proud of your belch, let it breathe.

(Yeah, other people can hear it, but it's suppressed.)

BreakfastBurrito
05-26-2005, 02:02 PM
Yes it can be heard. I use to stifle them all the time when I worked with a girl who was particularly offended by any bodily noises. She would always still hear them and make a big deal out of how disgusting it was.

jakethebake
05-26-2005, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes it can be heard. I use to stifle them all the time when I worked with a girl who was particularly offended by any bodily noises. She would always still hear them and make a big deal out of how disgusting it was.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you told her you'd much rather hear ugly than see ugly.