PDA

View Full Version : AK trying to isolate vs. LAG . . . Oops! (P* 1/2)

VarlosZ
05-26-2005, 10:21 AM
PokerStars $1/$2 NL 6-max. UTG has about $75, I'm UTG+1 with about $250, SB has me covered. I've got A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

UTG raises to $6. He's been very LAG with medicore holdings, and I feel there's a good chance he'll go all the way with a dominated hand, while he also might fold a small-medium pocket pair, which is fine. I raise to $80.

Folds to SB, who smooth-calls the raise. UTG folds. Whoops. I don't have a read on the SB, so I put him on AA or KK.

Flop (pot=~$166): K/images/graemlins/spade.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7/images/graemlins/club.gif

About as good as I could hope for, but I'm still prepared to lay this down if SB plays strongly. As it is, SB checks, and I check behind.

Turn: 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif

SB bets $50. Pot is ~$216, I've got $170 left. Now what?

TheWorstPlayer
05-26-2005, 11:22 AM
This is the same as pushing since there is no way you're laying down on the river if you call $50 here. I guess lay it down, but it makes my fingers hurt to type that. In reality, I'm sure I would call or push but I'm a bad player.

Ghazban
05-26-2005, 11:30 AM
Your preflop reraise was terrible and this hand shows you why. You wanted to be all-in headsup vs. UTG but somebody in between picked up a hand. Reraising to $30 would've effectively put UTG to a stack decision and you wouldn't have put yourself in this uncomfortable situation against SB.

As it played out, if you really believe SB has AA/KK (which is not unreasonable), you should fold.

swolfe
05-26-2005, 11:31 AM
i hate the preflop play. you can't just ignore the rest of the table...making a raise is fine, but no one except AA is going to call your 40BBs.

VarlosZ
05-26-2005, 03:06 PM
Yeah, in retrospect the $80 raise was clearly bad, particularly with four players between me and UTG.

When faced with the $50 turn bet, I abandoned my read and decided to go ahead and play it out -- I called the bet (a raise only gets called if I'm beaten). The river paired the 7 and SB checked. Figuring that someone who was trapping with something better than TPTK would never check that river, I'm now thinking QQ-JJ. I value bet $50 (pot=$265), SB folds. Worked out this time.