PDA

View Full Version : Better way to play this hand?

deception5
05-26-2005, 09:17 AM
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

River: (7.75 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.75 BB

Called the flop with overs+bdf+bds, the turn with overs+gs and check/raised the river when I hit my king. I called the 3-bet because the opponent was somewhat tricky.

topspin
05-26-2005, 09:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Called the flop with overs+bdf+bds

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have a backdoor straight draw here, btw, at least not in the "1.5 outs" SSH sense. You've got some sort of double inside runner-runner straight that isn't worth counting as outs.

Nonetheless, I'd go for a raise on the flop. You have plenty of outs to improve, you may still have the best hand if villain is betting a draw or is on a bluff (note that a strong made hand would probably CR in this situation), and have plenty of outs to improve if you don't. You might even get a free turn card or get MP to fold something like a pocket pair or bottom pair.

JordanIB
05-26-2005, 09:23 AM
Fold the turn.

Tiny pot, your overs could be reverse dominated, or you could be drawing dead.

Sorry, mis-read. As you didn't fold the turn, I'd bet the river, call a raise. You don't want to be putting 3 bets in.

deception5
05-26-2005, 09:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You don't have a backdoor straight draw here, btw, at least not in the "1.5 outs" SSH sense. You've got some sort of double inside runner-runner straight that isn't worth counting as outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, I think Ed says to count it for .5.

[ QUOTE ]
Nonetheless, I'd go for a raise on the flop. You have plenty of outs to improve, you may still have the best hand if villain is betting a draw or is on a bluff (note that a strong made hand would probably CR in this situation), and have plenty of outs to improve if you don't. You might even get a free turn card or get MP to fold something like a pocket pair or bottom pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're absolutely right. Thanks!

topspin
05-26-2005, 09:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Tiny pot, your overs could be reverse dominated, or you could be drawing dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

You did notice that 3 cards make him the nuts on the river, right?

The J/images/graemlins/club.gif is probably worth half an out also, and the overcards maybe 3 outs. With a total of 6.5 outs and the pot laying him 1:6, it's still close, but peeling one off here isn't terrible. Having said that, I'd probably still find a fold given the reverse implied odds we may be giving if our overcard outs are tainted.

Marquis
05-26-2005, 10:10 AM
I play the same way you did until the river. I like the river checkraise play as much as anyone, but not with just TPTK. There's a reason why you discount your overcard outs, and it's not because you should checkraise when you spike one.

Fantam
05-26-2005, 10:16 AM
I cant see anything wrong with the way you played this hand.

If MP was slow-playing a set or picked up 2 pair on the turn it was not possible to deduce that from his play. He appeared to have a Q in his hand with his bet on the turn.

Following your c/r on the river, I think you have to call his 3-bet for the size of the pot. You cant afford to risk losing a pot like that to a bluff.

And if you had folded correctly to his 3-bet on the river, it would probably have encouraged him to bluff at you on subsequent occassions.

Having now read the previous posts, I agree that you should just have bet the river, because of the risk of being reverse-dominated.