PDA

View Full Version : I have to learn to get up from the table when this happens.

Grisgra
05-26-2005, 09:16 AM
Because if I continue to miss flops, I start playing very, very badly and mistake preflop donkishness for the mistaken belief that he can-never-have-a-hand postflop, and start calling down with K-high. Which occasionally picks up a pot, but usually not.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: "Hero" is BB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">"Hero" 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, "Hero" calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, "Hero" calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (7 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 9 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has 3c 2s (straight, six high).
"Hero" has Ah Kd (one pair, sixes).
Outcome: SB wins 9 BB. </font>

EDIT: Villain had capped another HU pot with T2 /images/graemlins/club.gif, and, of course, made his flush on the turn while my AK (with ace-of-clubs) made TPTK on the river. When someone caps pf with utter garbage and I have AK, I tend to figure it's time to just call down with AK unimproved . . . right? Even if I'm not sure whether he'd bluff to the river unimproved (though he certainly might)?

TStoneMBD
05-26-2005, 09:23 AM
i think its better to train yourself to avoid tilt than to take breaks. i used to take breaks when hitting downswings and as a result put in less hours than i expected of myself. i now have a rigid schedule designed for myself that forces me to play poker for 5 hours a day, 6 days a week. i cannot play less hours one day and make them up in a following day. if i want to take breaks then i have to put in more than 5 hours for a particular day to take time off another day.

not exactly on topic but i hope this helps. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

MAxx
05-26-2005, 09:30 AM
Looks like a decently played hand to me vs the villain. It does perhaps depend on his tendencies to chill vs continue bluffing on later streets.

I guess it is good for many or most people to get up from the table when they are feeling tilty. I personally dont feel that tilty that often, and when I start feeling the beginings of the subltle tilt monster..... I feel like it makes a stronger player to suck it up and ride on through the situation by not succumbing to tilt. To each his own though and whatever works best for you.

Grisgra
05-26-2005, 09:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Looks like a decently played hand to me vs the villain. It does perhaps depend on his tendencies to chill vs continue bluffing on later streets.

I guess it is good for many or most people to get up from the table when they are feeling tilty. I personally dont feel that tilty that often, and when I start feeling the beginings of the subltle tilt monster..... I feel like it makes a stronger player to suck it up and ride on through the situation by not succumbing to tilt. To each his own though and whatever works best for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem isn't tilt as much as it is I have no idea how to proceed against this opponent in the future. My default has been to pump good hands preflop, and showdown with any showdownable hand, as I know he's full of crap, but that just plain doesn't work.

ISF
05-26-2005, 09:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My default has been to pump good hands preflop, and showdown with any showdownable hand

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you are just running badly, because this is the way to play against this type of opponent. I dont think you played this hand badly given your description. There are boards I wouldnt call down on, but this isnt one of them. I do think you need a special situation to call down with king high though.

krishanleong
05-26-2005, 09:46 AM
Grisgra, you played it fine. Putting a raise in at any point would be horrible. Folding would be horrible. Here is another way to look at it.

I'm playing against a guy who will cap 32o preflop HU. I have AK. The board is 4566T. Is call, call, call the right line? Of course it is.

Krishan

dave44
05-26-2005, 01:09 PM
If your opponent is capable of capping 32o, you don't think there is value in raising a flop of 456?

krishanleong
05-26-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If your opponent is capable of capping 32o, you don't think there is value in raising a flop of 456?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe. The problem is you never know where you are at. (He can have any 2 cards) So you lose more when you are behind and stop bluffs when you are ahead. That said, it's still a maybe.

Krishan

dave44
05-26-2005, 01:14 PM
I agree it is likely close- a lot depends on how strongly he'll play 32o postflop when the flop and turn completely miss him, whether he'll push it like a normal capping hand or simply give up. If he'll continue to push, call down seems best, but if he'll give up with nothing, I think a raise is necessary as I'd hate to see him river a pair to take it.

twankerr
05-26-2005, 01:14 PM
I look at it this way. You had it capped as the favorite, and then you put in one bet on each street as the underdog.

Reverse the roles and I guarentee this opponent puts in more bets postflop at some point.

That is the beaut of these players.