PDA

View Full Version : Newbie.......

3TJ
05-26-2005, 08:54 AM
My first post........please go gentle with me!!
I have been playing on line since January and love the game - after losing around $500 up till april I then returned from my honeymoon and have built a $70 bank roll upto over $1000, i play on VC poker on 0.5/$1 NL hold em but Im sure I am wining more on luck than skill. I also play 2 tables at once with them overlapped quite alot so they just ping up when its mt turn. I have loads of questions but to start...
Whats the best reading material for me to improve?
How do I play 4 tables, Should I just play the AA, KK, AK, AQ and pairs? what screen size do i need?
I dont use any software for odds etc shuld I use one? what is poker tracker that I have seen mentioned?
many more questions but thought Id start somewhere...
Please can anyone guide me in the right direction....
Thanks
3TJ

Jeffage
05-26-2005, 09:04 AM
If you're new, I kinda think you should play limit hold em. You can add NL, stud and other forms later. As a new player, you will be punished MUCH more harshly for mistakes at NL than limit. And the limit games can be very profitable. Read "Winning Low Limit Hold Em" by Jones and play the low limits on Party (I'm sure 2plus2's "Getting Started In Hold Em" is also good, but I haven't read it). Be sure to have 300 bets for the limit you choose...so 1000 would be a nice roll for 1-2. Learn to play well, learn to not worry about shorterm results...ONLY WORRY ABOUT MAKING PLAYS WITH POSITIVE EXPECTATION. The cards always break even in the end and players reap whatever their skill level deserves. Post hands that confuse you. Don't play scared money. Good luck.

Jeff

iNsChris
05-26-2005, 09:23 AM
If your dropping to Limit, Skip 0.02/0.04 (DON'T let your Bankroll make you think your better than you are).

Join 0.05/0.10 (.25/.50 at VC are full of major bluffs and lots of aggresion - get your game good before trying these IMO).

I'm currently at VC myself - Cya around(.05/.10 tables) And .10/.20 - Rarely in use.

Anyhow this is only relevant if your new to Limit, And are going to play Limit.

Good luck

SheridanCat
05-26-2005, 11:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Please can anyone guide me in the right direction....

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, start by looking at the FAQ at the link in my signature below. That'll answer all of the questions you've posed, I believe.

The Beginner's Forum is a safe haven, for the most part, so you should have no fear of asking any question here.

Regards,

T

Beginner's Poker FAQ (http://www.pokergeek.com/faq/beginners_faq.html)

fireman664
05-26-2005, 02:54 PM
once you can afford , get over to party (there lowest limit game is .50-1. softest games around.

read read read
1. not sure of the best TRUE beginners book out there (someone help?)
2. Holdem for advanced players (abv. HFAP)(its a 2+2 book)
the bible for limit holdm IMO
3. Small stakes Holdem (SSH) (another 2+2 BOOK)

#2 AND #3 have been read by most players on here numerous times, and I know for me some of the concepts are still dificult to grasp (but get easier with experience)...and look when I registered...2 years ago!! that is how complicated this game can get)

if you are truly serious, download pokertracker and then purchase it(I am not sure if it works where you are currently playing), and get gametime+ (its free with pokertracker)

lurk and continue to post here.

good luck

illab
05-26-2005, 03:32 PM
Why does everyone recommend Limit games? I'd say hes a pretty decent NL player to have built a bankroll of $70 to $1000. Here a link to no limit tips and terminology
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1673930&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&fpart=all&vc=1

SheridanCat
05-26-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why does everyone recommend Limit games? I'd say hes a pretty decent NL player to have built a bankroll of $70 to $1000.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, results oriented thinking.

The OP could be a good NL player, who knows. Why do I recommend limit over no limit? I find NL boring, generally. No other reason.

Regards,

T

illab
05-26-2005, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why does everyone recommend Limit games? I'd say hes a pretty decent NL player to have built a bankroll of $70 to $1000.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, results oriented thinking.

The OP could be a good NL player, who knows. Why do I recommend limit over no limit? I find NL boring, generally. No other reason.

Regards,

T

[/ QUOTE ]
Fine you can call it results oriented thinking, but with his results seem to be consistently good and he probably has a handle on the basics of no limit by now. I don't that he could have made that much by luck or variance, and he probably chose to play no limit because he prefers it to limit. Of course I find limit games boring, generally. I think its easier to punish incorrect plays in NL, giving the better players a greater advantage. To each his own though.

3TJ
05-29-2005, 06:27 AM
Thanks to all for the comments and link - I will read them with interest - I play NL just because I like it (and I have never played any other form of poker!!) but can I just ask again, I have ordered a Dell 2001 so that I can multitable but do I just play the big hands (as mentioned above, or is this just easily read by other players) and what is poker tracker (and do I need it yet?)
Thanks again in advance

venti
05-29-2005, 11:29 AM
I have been working my bank roll through sit N Go's at Paradise. Am I missing out on somehting by not playing the limit tables?

Thanks