PDA

View Full Version : House of Sand and Fog

thatpfunk
05-26-2005, 06:41 AM
I'm really, really impressed.

Extremely well done.

brokedickrooster
05-26-2005, 07:26 AM
I concur. Great performances all around.

Blarg
05-26-2005, 07:47 AM
I LOVED this movie. Ben Kingsley is so, so damned good time after time.

The commentary on the DVD was really interesting too. Kingsley's one of the few major actors willing to do a commentary, which just emphasizes his professionalism and suggests he's a bit more down to earth than your average celebrity.

This was a really moving flick, and Kingsley really brought the role to life.

peachy
05-26-2005, 08:00 AM
yes i liked this movie alot

Dr. Strangelove
05-26-2005, 10:12 AM
I can admit it was a well done movie, but I didn't like.

GuyOnTilt
05-26-2005, 10:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm really, really impressed.

Extremely well done.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked it less than I had hoped.

GoT

Freakin
05-26-2005, 10:35 AM
This movie knows how to kill a good mood. And the part w/ the nail makes me nervous whenever I get off ladders now.

I did enjoy the movie though, mainly because of Kingsley.

Freakin

xadrez
05-26-2005, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ben Kingsley is so, so damned good time after time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another so-so movie where Ben Kingsley kills it is "Sexy Beast"

kurosh
05-26-2005, 10:50 AM
Ben Kingsley isn't [censored] Iranian.

jakethebake
05-26-2005, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

same thing with "Suspect Zero".

Freakin
05-26-2005, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that worth watching? It arrived on netflix but i've been putting it off for complete trash like Ocean's 12 and Kinsey.

Freakin

jakethebake
05-26-2005, 11:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that worth watching? It arrived on netflix but i've been putting it off for complete trash like Ocean's 12 and Kinsey. Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

it was so-so. kingsley does a good job of course. and the plot was pretty good. but it wasn't that well done and pretty anticlimatic.

Blarg
05-26-2005, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have remarkably terrible taste.

Blarg
05-26-2005, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't seen Suspect Zero, but if you agree with the guy above on Ben Kingsley in general or House of Sand and Fog in particular, then your movie judgment has been similarly blunted by the taste of way too many poopers.

jakethebake
05-26-2005, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't seen Suspect Zero, but if you agree with the guy above on Ben Kingsley in general or House of Sand and Fog in particular, then your movie judgment has been similarly blunted by the taste of way too many poopers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what you're getting at here. I haven't seen House of Sand & Fog. It's in my que, and I always seem to miss it on cable. I do think he's a good actor. Is he may favorite actor or something? No. But I do think he's a good actor, and I think he was very good in Sexy Beast.

Freakin
05-26-2005, 11:57 AM
Good in Sneakers too.

Freakin

WillMagic
05-26-2005, 12:25 PM
It's certainly a well-done film, and the acting is excelllent...but I admire it a lot more than I like it.

Will

Blarg
05-26-2005, 03:51 PM
The "if" I used was very precise. Your "same thing" response to the other dude could easily be taken a few ways, so I used an "if" and set out the particular "then's" that would apply to it.

I couldn't tell from your response when you made it if you had even seen "House," or how much of what the guy said you agreed with. "Same thing" was pretty broad.

jakethebake
05-26-2005, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The "if" I used was very precise. Your "same thing" response to the other dude could easily be taken a few ways, so I used an "if" and set out the particular "then's" that would apply to it.

I couldn't tell from your response when you made it if you had even seen "House," or how much of what the guy said you agreed with. "Same thing" was pretty broad.

[/ QUOTE ]

My "same thing" was in reference to the opinion of sexy beast. kingsley was good in a so-so movie.

nokona13
05-26-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that worth watching? It arrived on netflix but i've been putting it off for complete trash like Ocean's 12 and Kinsey.

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll watch anything with jennifer connely. She's the hottest woman alive.

thatpfunk
05-26-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

It's certainly a well-done film, and the acting is excelllent...but I admire it a lot more than I like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Expand, if you will...

WillMagic
05-26-2005, 04:19 PM
I don't have any desire to see it again...and it took me 2-3 sittings to get through it. I got bored.

That said...even if I'm not particularly fond of a film I can still appreciate things that it does well...in this case I thought the acting was superb and the characters were complex and well-written. So I admire it more than I like it.

The movie that is most often referred to as admired more than liked is Citizen Kane. I'm not in that camp, but I encountered the phrase while reading about Citizen Kane.

Will

Benal
05-26-2005, 05:30 PM
I think what made this movie even better for me was that I had no idea what to expect, or what it was about. A great character driven flick..

jojobinks
05-26-2005, 05:35 PM
what i liked about it; it was willing to be unlikeable. what i hate most about movies i hate: they're too eager to please, and to fit a genre. house of sand and fog had a very particular story, that didn't fit very well into a genre (not even some sort of pseudo-genre like oscar magnet).

and kingsley and connely were pretty great in it, too.

oh yeah, and she's hot

thatpfunk
05-26-2005, 05:38 PM
Gotcha, and I think understandable.

I thought it was an intensely interesting character driven story.

Guthrie
05-26-2005, 09:45 PM
Terrible movie. Laughable script. Inept direction. The best part was laughing out loud at the idiotic situations that just kept piling on top of each other.

thatpfunk
05-26-2005, 10:13 PM
Um, ok. Not sure exactly how to respond.

theBruiser500
05-26-2005, 10:21 PM
great movie, sad

ThaSaltCracka
06-21-2005, 08:03 PM
I just saw this, I liked it a lot.

Blarg
06-21-2005, 08:39 PM
Definitely worth seeing multiple times.

There are not many situations in fiction or real life where it's acknowledged much how deeply people can feel about things, and how reasonable it can seem, yet still be completely in conflict with one another. It's so much easier and less messy to think in terms of an absolutist either/or.

bronzepiglet
06-21-2005, 09:26 PM
Ben Kingsley plays a lot of nationalities/races in his movies. He's a guy that they seem to use when they want a familiar face but at the same time want to make you "believe" he's the character.

Sneakers, Dave, and many more - American
Sexy Beast - British
Ghandi - Indian
House of Sand and Fog - Iranian
Shindler's List - German/Jewish

I think he played Moses on some TV series, too.

Russ McGinley
06-21-2005, 10:04 PM
Definitely an underrated actor.

Blarg
06-21-2005, 10:26 PM
I'll see his movies like I do with DeNiro's -- just to get the chance to be blown away by his talent. I figure he's always capable of suprising me, and no matter what I think of the movie, he'll be worth watching in it.