PDA

View Full Version : Ok....I know I played this badly

dbitel
05-26-2005, 06:11 AM
Just a tiny bit of background. I am normally quite a loose aggressive player, in the way that i win a lot of small pots when no-one has anything. I believe I'm a reasonably good player for the stakes I play, but when i go on tilt or dont concentrate...I play TERRIBLE poker. Anyway...on the day in question I had cashed in $50 and ground it up to $100 until I lost interest, lost 1 pot and went on tilt and lost it all. I then bring my $35 bonus money to the $50NL table at Party and this was my 1st hand:

in MP I get 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif I raise to $1
get called by player 1 to my left and the two blinds.

Flop Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
SB check, BB makes it $4, I call, player to my left makes it $11, SB fold, BB call, I call.

Turn 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
BB chacks. I push for the remainder of my stack after thinking, person to my left (who had $1 or $2 less than me) calls, BB (who has more chips than both of us) calls.

I know I played it poorly...but how would you have played it?

jkkkk
05-26-2005, 06:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
BB chacks

[/ QUOTE ]

Referee!!!

and err, i'm not really sure your straight / flush outs are any good here.

dont raise pre-flop

flop is tricky.. but i might be calling this as well.

turn, check through.

PinkSteel
05-26-2005, 07:40 AM
I'm far from LAG but I wouldn't raise SCs preflop in MP, just limp and try to play them cheap.

On the flop, you're J straight outs are now no good, so you have 12 outs at best. I probably would have called BB's bet and folded to the raise, since now two players are very interested in their hands and even your flush outs may be worthless.

But if you want to play it loose, how about pushing after BB's bet? You may be able to fold out better flush and straight draws, effectively making more of your outs good.

If I'm still with you at the turn I check through.

dbitel
05-26-2005, 08:54 AM
To be honest...I really like raising with suited connectors in MP because no-one expects it and it lets me represent on a lot of flops.

I think calling $4 on the flop is also ok, as if my flush and straight is good I have a lot of outs. However, thats where my ok play stops.

I completely agree that i should be checking the turn. But you both say my straight and flush might not be good. If no-one flopped the straight, then a J is not a fantastic card, but it meant some-one would be playing a gutshot for $11, which is hard to see bar KQ and KdXd. If you checked and player to my left bets, how large a bet would you call?

PinkSteel
05-26-2005, 09:15 AM
I'm still a donkey so roast me if this sounds out of line.

The thing is, to be a good LAG and get +EV from, let's say, raising SCs from MP by representing on flops, you get there with fold equity, right? You represent, they fold, you take it down -- and if they don't fold, you're beat and you run for the hills.

Well done for you, but in this hand you have two players who like their hands, and second best wins $0. Your J out *may* be good, but everyone in the hand knows the board is draw heavy, and if it gets more so you must be VERY confident that whatever you hit is a winner.

Heads up, this is a different hand, but your chances to represent, and your win probability, decay exponentially as the number of players increases.

That's why I think a push might be good. You likely have more draws, and better odds to hit, than the other hands, and you could fold them out on that basis. And if you don't fold both of them, you may still fold the draw that would have beaten you.

If there are still 3 in the pot, at the turn I would call a small bet, but not pot-sized. Don't know about 1/2.

dbitel
05-26-2005, 09:26 AM
are you suggesting push after the $11 bet or after the $4 bet? because pushing after the $4 is betting $30 into an $8 pot.

PinkSteel
05-26-2005, 10:12 AM
I'm not sure I would do it at all, and I still would like to hear if anyone else thinks it's a reasonable play, but it would certainly have more impact after the first bet.

webmonarch
05-26-2005, 02:33 PM
Yeah, another way to handle this would have been to fold preflop. You're right, that was some pretty poor poker.

swolfe
05-26-2005, 02:58 PM
you raised preflop and got nearly the perfect flop for your hand. raise the first bet to you, definitely PUSH to the second bet to you. the whole point of raising preflop was to represent strength...well, keep representing it! don't back off now and play it like a fish...you NEED all the money in on the flop.

EDIT: also, wtf? make a real raise preflop if you're going to raise it. the preflop minraise is pointless and stupid.

EDIT2: stop playing above your bankroll...especially when you're obviously a terrible player. i mean seriously...trying to play $50NL with one buy-in? the risk of ruin doing that is huge for a GOOD player. it's almost guaranteed that YOU will bust.

EDIT3: sorry if that was a little harsh. i only got 3 hours sleep last night, and i'm tired of reading about people slowplaying sets and whatnot. maybe i'll take a break from reading SSNL until i'm not so cranky.

dbitel
05-27-2005, 08:22 AM
ok, maybe i could have pushed on the the flop, but i just wanted to hit to be honest.

I agree the preflop raise sould have been bigger...but like I said...I was on tilt and not playing well

your edit2 was pretty harsh!! I'm not playing above my bankroll...I normally play 100NL. I'm not a terrible player...I'm up quite a bit over the last year, but i just do play very weak poker at times

dbitel
05-27-2005, 08:24 AM
Just thought I'd also post the result.

I know the result shouldn't matter to my play, but it was still an interesting result.

River A /images/graemlins/club.gif

BB wins pot with 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, a pair of 5's!!

MixedNuts
05-27-2005, 11:20 AM
The raise PF is OK in concept, but the amount is questionable. $1 does not represent anything. If anyone has PT on you they figure that you could have anything moderatly playable. I'd raise just like I have AA or AK.

What are the likely bad hands for you?
KJ, QT,T9,A-J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif These hands will call the $0.75 or $0.50 and lead out for the $4. My estimate is that you are behind to at least 2-pair and a better (in general) draw than yours, with the exceptions of your 2 nut draws. If you all had some big stacks ($60 or so) it may be woth the $11 to call, but I think I fold the flop.

What do the others put you on, not a set, the board cards are too big, more likely a couple of biggish cards implying at best TP or more likely what you do have, a flush draw. I can tell you if a /images/graemlins/diamond.gif comes and I don't have a complete hand you wouldn't get any more of my money.

My 2c