PDA

View Full Version : Guatemala.....

peachy
05-26-2005, 04:02 AM
Ok...i made a post some time ago when i was thinking i was probably going and its now 100% certain and the date is getting close.

So anything i should remember to take or any advice from people that have traveled there or other central/south american countries around this area (that are not typical vacation areas) Obviously where I am going isnt similar to basic tourism....

Im not nervous...but i think i should be...we have 2 prep meetings in the beginning of June which I can ask ?s but i was bored and started making a list now...and im one of those super prepare ahead of time people for a trip like this /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Im pretty fleuent in french but dont know much spanish....so i think im already in trouble...

DeadMoneyOC
05-26-2005, 04:08 AM
What do you look like? Are you Irish(super white guy? Who are you going with? Why are you going? These things all make a difference. If you dont speak spanish already then you will be kinda lost unless you are going with someone who speaks spanish. Dont carry a ton of money around with you. If you are going with people native to that country then it would obviously be much easier. Ask the people in your hotel where you should and shouldnt go. You will be fine. Have fun!

peachy
05-26-2005, 04:16 AM
First off im a GIRL!!!

Yeah i know basic stuff...im not a total tardo! I have some american indian in me so i stay pretty tan and i have dark hair/eyes BUT i recently re-highlighted my hair...i FORGOT i was going...so ill semi blend /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Im taking little money and ill even be weary to carry my camera or phone on me (although my phone may be needed if something happens ggrrr)

Its for field work...YAY me i get to go there blah! Most others get to go to like madrid...cambridge...washtington, etc. I asked if i could go to S. Africa but they denied it, the conditions arent much better but at least i speak french (in the areas i would have gone this is the language).

Its me and 2 other girls going with one male grad student going whos from i believe el savador (which will help a little). Hotels can be dangerous so they have seperated us throughout the village to live with families (which we must eat all our meals with) which also presents a problem b/c of my langauge barrier and the fact that im an extremely picky eater (ive got medical probs as well) hhahaha

We have our weekends free but travel is dangerous to the max....soooooo i dunno /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Evan
05-26-2005, 04:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
First off im a GIRL!!!

Yeah i know basic stuff...im not a total tardo! I have some american indian in me so i stay pretty tan and i have dark hair/eyes BUT i recently re-highlighted my hair...i FORGOT i was going...so ill semi blend /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Im taking little money and ill even be weary to carry my camera or phone on me (although my phone may be needed if something happens ggrrr)

Its for field work...YAY me i get to go there blah! Most others get to go to like madrid...cambridge...washtington, etc. I asked if i could go to S. Africa but they denied it, the conditions arent much better but at least i speak french (in the areas i would have gone this is the language).

Its me and 2 other girls going with one male grad student going whos from i believe el savador (which will help a little). Hotels can be dangerous so they have seperated us throughout the village to live with families (which we must eat all our meals with) which also presents a problem b/c of my langauge barrier and the fact that im an extremely picky eater (ive got medical probs as well) hhahaha

We have our weekends free but travel is dangerous to the max....soooooo i dunno /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This post feels like it needs more ellipses.

DeadMoneyOC
05-26-2005, 04:36 AM
Well, being a girl with highlights in her hair probably wont help but if you are going with one guy from El Salvador then you will be alright when you are doing whatever you are going there to do. He probably wont know the area but at least you will have one spanish speaker with you.

[ QUOTE ]
Hotels can be dangerous so they have seperated us throughout the village to live with families (which we must eat all our meals with) which also presents a problem b/c of my langauge barrier and the fact that im an extremely picky eater (ive got medical probs as well) hhahaha

[/ QUOTE ]

bueno suerte! Serouisly, I dont know what type of families you are going to be staying with but if you dont speak spanish and are a picky eater you might have some problems. I am sure its not as bad as I am making it seem and you will probably have a great time but there are going to be a lot of times where you arent going to know what is happening. Having studied spanish for a couple years in HS/college and having to apply that spanish are two totally different things. I would imagine the families you are going to be put with are probably higher class and probably have a english speaker or two in the family though. I highly doubt they would drop you in the middle of a thrid-world country living with some poor family who doesnt speak a word of english.

BreakEvenPlayer
05-26-2005, 04:39 AM
Have fun peachy. It's good to be more alert in a foreign country because people will see you and know you're an American. But the chances of something truly bad happening are slim.

You say you are a picky eater, well the family you stay with will almost assuredly be VERY hospitable, and if you don't eat their food they will probably be somewhat hurt by this. So I would try my best to eat well and at least try all the new dishes. You will be surprised by many.

Also I would get a friend of yours who speaks Spanish to help you write a letter in Spanish to the family you are staying with explaining to them that you haven't yet learned their language. You can give this to them when you arrive. Also you can thank them for housing you, tell them some things about yourself. This will be a good icebreaker and things will be a little less tense when there isn't much talking going on.

Pocket Trips
05-26-2005, 04:43 AM
Be sure to drink plenty of the local water /images/graemlins/smile.gif

peachy
05-26-2005, 04:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, being a girl with highlights in her hair probably wont help but if you are going with one guy from El Salvador then you will be alright when you are doing whatever you are going there to do. He probably wont know the area but at least you will have one spanish speaker with you.

[ QUOTE ]
Hotels can be dangerous so they have seperated us throughout the village to live with families (which we must eat all our meals with) which also presents a problem b/c of my langauge barrier and the fact that im an extremely picky eater (ive got medical probs as well) hhahaha

[/ QUOTE ]

bueno suerte! Serouisly, I dont know what type of families you are going to be staying with but if you dont speak spanish and are a picky eater you might have some problems. I am sure its not as bad as I am making it seem and you will probably have a great time but there are going to be a lot of times where you arent going to know what is happening. Having studied spanish for a couple years in HS/college and having to apply that spanish are two totally different things. I would imagine the families you are going to be put with are probably higher class and probably have a english speaker or two in the family though. I highly doubt they would drop you in the middle of a thrid-world country living with some poor family who doesnt speak a word of english.

[/ QUOTE ]

nope...totally the opposite...its lower class village people

peachy
05-26-2005, 04:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Have fun peachy. It's good to be more alert in a foreign country because people will see you and know you're an American. But the chances of something truly bad happening are slim.

You say you are a picky eater, well the family you stay with will almost assuredly be VERY hospitable, and if you don't eat their food they will probably be somewhat hurt by this. So I would try my best to eat well and at least try all the new dishes. You will be surprised by many.

Also I would get a friend of yours who speaks Spanish to help you write a letter in Spanish to the family you are staying with explaining to them that you haven't yet learned their language. You can give this to them when you arrive. Also you can thank them for housing you, tell them some things about yourself. This will be a good icebreaker and things will be a little less tense when there isn't much talking going on.

[/ QUOTE ]

im a picky eater anyway...but more so because of medical reasons...so i really cant control it /images/graemlins/frown.gif

billyjex
05-26-2005, 05:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Be sure to drink plenty of the local water /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, nothing like a central american vacation with the shits.

Il_Mostro
05-26-2005, 07:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I havn't been to Guetemala or indeed anywhere in Central Amerika. But I have been to some out-of-the-way places in South East Asia. The by far best way to carry money for me has been a combination of a pouch you have hanging from your belt on the inside of your pants and a money-belt with a zipped pocket on the inside of the belt.
The pouch is barely visible and almost impossible to steal without making you strip. And even if someone makes you strip to get the pouch chanses are they'll not find the belt.

Usually I've had a couple of hundred US$ (in 20:s or so)in the belt to take care of emergencies and the bulk of my money in the pouch together with passport and any other vital document you are carrying. Of course you don't need that much money if you don't expect to go very far from the nearest bank.

When on the move or staying at basic hostels/guesthouses I normally never let my passport leave touch of my body.

peachy
05-26-2005, 08:28 PM
no other advice?? hhrrmm

InchoateHand
05-26-2005, 08:29 PM
Cheap llello.

peachy
05-26-2005, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cheap llello.

[/ QUOTE ]

coke???

kerssens
05-26-2005, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no other advice?? hhrrmm

[/ QUOTE ]

Wish I could help, I've never left North America and only been to 7 states.

peachy
06-08-2005, 12:21 AM
OK...im bumping this b/c i leave in less than a week...and im getting a lil nervous that im gonna forget something important....

Ive already started packing...but any input would be greatly appreciated

kerssens
06-08-2005, 12:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
no other advice?? hhrrmm

[/ QUOTE ]

Wish I could help, I've never left North America and only been to 7 states.

[/ QUOTE ]

After last week I've been to 9 states now!

Rhone
06-08-2005, 01:04 AM
I've travelled in quite a few developing countries where I wasn't so sure ahead of time about the food situation. Particularly if you have even more reason than normal to be concerned about food, I'd pack a bit to take with you. Stuff like individually-packaged granola or nutrition bars, trail mix, stuff like this that's light and easy to pack and take with you on day trips, but also somewhat nutritional. But I'm sure you'll be fine. Trying to be as open minded about local food as you can will help you a lot, though. Good luck.

peachy
06-08-2005, 01:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've travelled in quite a few developing countries where I wasn't so sure ahead of time about the food situation. Particularly if you have even more reason than normal to be concerned about food, I'd pack a bit to take with you. Stuff like individually-packaged granola or nutrition bars, trail mix, stuff like this that's light and easy to pack and take with you on day trips, but also somewhat nutritional. But I'm sure you'll be fine. Trying to be as open minded about local food as you can will help you a lot, though. Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

heheh well thats a no can do /images/graemlins/frown.gif cause we r only allowed to take ONE bag for the WHOLE month ::sobs:: I have already brought myself to the realization that the hairdryer, straighter and many pairs of shoes r gettin left behind /images/graemlins/mad.gif

blatz
06-08-2005, 01:23 AM
I did something like this when I was in school, except in Ecuador, but I've been to Guatamala, and I can tell you, you've got nothing to worry about.

If others have done work in this town before, the family has probably hosted. They will be gracious and want to impress you. Be unfailingly polite when you get there. Bring snapshots of your house, your friends, postcards of your city...great first day ice breakers, especially as you won't be able to speak so well.

About the language, spend the next week concentrating on words and phrases, screw grammar. The family will apreciate the effort your making, as long as your trying, and will probably enjoy laughing at your screwups. Get the Lonely Planet phrasebook. Perfect for what you need. Learn how to say, "Como se dice?"

Get involved with the locals to show your just like them. Luckily, I'm a dude, so I just had to drink incredible amounts of booze, and hook myself to a battery without screaming. As a chick, it will probably involve sewing or cooking...so is life. If you like kids, they will love you. Play soccer with them, act goofy...stupid Americans warm there heart.

Don't count on your phone, but, really, don't fear something happening either. My city has a higher crime rate than anywhere you'll be living, I'm sure. Weekend travel should not be a problem, busses go anywhere, and the even without spanish, you can get where you want.

Picky eating will be a problem at first, no doubt. My host grandmother practically broke down in tears when I couldn't finish an avocado the size of my head.

Allright, all of that just to say have no fear, as long as your not gonna be homesick and whiny, I don't know anyone who has not had a bad time doing one of these things. Good luck.

Little Fishy
06-08-2005, 01:26 AM
If the drinking water isn't clean, neither are the women, bring condoms

peachy
06-08-2005, 01:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If the drinking water isn't clean, neither are the women, bring condoms

[/ QUOTE ]

IM A GIRL!!

but the teacher already told us to do this /images/graemlins/mad.gif but it wont apply to me cause im not gonna be a super freak down there!!

Little Fishy
06-08-2005, 01:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
IM A GIRL!!

[/ QUOTE ]

that would explain your avatar