PDA

View Full Version : illa5th lol's at Party Poker

Big Limpin'
05-26-2005, 02:51 AM
You guys...what can i say?
I just dont "get it".
Party Poker. 800 chips. Skyrocketing blinds.

I mean... its fun y'all.
But still. I do not get it.

From a stint a week or two ago, and tonight, ive logged 160 tournies... youd think id have "got it" by now...but i havent.

You know how y'all pimp SnGs @Party, and you tell your poker playing friends about it, and they watch you, and they say "that isnt poker", and "you just push" ?

I gotta say. Yer're right. That aint poker. Its its own beast. But im not hating, (directly). Its been a blast. And my take on it:

It isnt poker. Its math.

Again. Its MATH.

Dig?

Or maybe i have got it? i mean, its just puzzling to me. As far as im concerned, from what i've seen (opinion)...its simply a case of you looking at the cards you have, comparing them to the likely ranges of those yet to act, and deciding if you are likely to be holing the best hand of not. If yes, you bet it up bigtime. If no, you muck.

It's not that you dont have a reasonable clue as to how to trick your opponents, its just that the stacks arent deep enough to garner advantages from that. Or so is my opinion.

Now, i've always been reading aboout how (respected) posters are saying "its robotic", and i thought i knew what they mean. I thought that refered to knowing what your move was, like, instantaenously, when the action came to you. Therefore, you played like robot, right? 0.00001ms response time. Aparently, i was misinterpreting that.

As i see it now, with 160 tourneys behind me, is that "playing robotically" (read:optimally?) means simply doing a quick calculation in your head. And going which whatever seems to be the right move. Push/fold. Yes/no.

Okay, this doesnt flow nicely into a conclusion, or overriding question that im looking for answers to, although i wish it did. Its just kinda free flowing thoughts.

But if i can ask for a direction to anyone willing to respond...i guess its to answer this:

Would a guy who has gotten pretty decent(not sublime/immaculate, but makes good living) at 1500 chip, 1+ hour sit-and-gos, would he be better off switching to party? One step back, initially, but perhaps 2 steps forward?

Big Limpin'
05-26-2005, 02:55 AM
Also, i should say, i've made money in these games. It's not that i think they are crapshoots, that isnt what i mean. I guess i just am feeling awkward at dipping my feet into a different structure that feels alien to me.

I should also say, to interpret the title of the post, "illa5th" is my username @ Party.

lorinda
05-26-2005, 02:59 AM
It isnt poker. Its math.

That's what poker is.

Lori

Big Limpin'
05-26-2005, 03:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It isnt poker. Its math.

That's what poker is.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhhh, but it can be math and more

Party is just math. Thats what i meant. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

LeVoodoo
05-26-2005, 03:09 AM
I used to play PokerRoom, like you, until about a month ago. I started playing half and half between PR and PP. Now i'm full fledged Party Pokering. I have seen the light. I used to lol at party poker like you, but it's where the soft money is at.

Big Limpin'
05-26-2005, 03:15 AM
dude. perfect. that is just what i am on the cusp of.

My forays (sp?) ar party have been seemingly well spent, so far 19% @ the 22s, and i'd like to think it could be better due to adjustment factors, and i am almost ready to jump 2 feet in because, well frankly, i have never seen so many horrendous plays until i saw Party.

So what im saying is, is Party better, even though (i like to think) i have "mastered" the deep-stack games?

One vote pro?

runner4life7
05-26-2005, 03:24 AM
I used to play limit and didnt know what I was doing but thought I did because I started lucky and even played 3/6 making about 400 then dropping to down 100 with no where near enough bank roll. I was then introduced to SNGs on party and I am still amazed at all the fish even after probably close to 1000. I think with this many bad players, it is definately worth sticking with party. With your success thus far, although small sample, I only see good things coming along with more adjustment, best of luck with whatever your choice, even though i play the 20s and dont need more good players, I suggest sticking with party.

Newt_Buggs
05-26-2005, 03:46 AM
chances are that if you're good enough to make money at stars, you can eventually make more money at party. Obviously though, if you are making a decent amount at stars and having fun/enjoying the structure then I see no problem with staying there.

Big Limpin'
05-26-2005, 04:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
chances are that if you're good enough to make money at stars, you can eventually make more money at party. Obviously though, if you are making a decent amount at stars and having fun/enjoying the structure then I see no problem with staying there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Newt Buggs
V
fence

hey "thanks"

naw man, im just joshing ya /images/graemlins/grin.gif... but yeah youve put your finger on that im asking...i kinda feel like i'd be better off tossing alot of what ive learned (on playing jam-up deepish stack poker) into the trash simply 'cause the competition at PArty is so laughable.. I mean, you know, those other guys...im sure i havent encountered many 2+2ers at my pittance stakes so far /images/graemlins/grin.gif

If anyone is interested, ill be playing 55s (damn it hurts to say that, im used to 54s) for the rest of tonight, so holler of you see me at yer table, again, im "illa5th"

(also, newt, im used to pokerroom, not stars, and its not academic, cause the endgame is quite different, at the blinds are 10-hand bsed, not time based...more like party)

DasLeben
05-26-2005, 04:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It isnt poker. Its math.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's cool. I don't care if I'm playing real poker or not. I only care that I'm turning a profit. In fact, that's probably the only reason I play poker: to make money. That's why I couldn't play for fake money...I wouldn't enjoy poker at all without some monetary reward.

I mean, don't get me wrong...I have fun with SNGs. But, there is a reason I primarily play SNGs and not a more involving game like cash game NLHE. The reason: I can play SNGs by using a very black/white system of math. If a play is +EV I push, if it's -EV I fold. It's quick, it's simple, and it's good for the bankroll.

I'm not sure how many other people are with me on this, but oh well. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Newt_Buggs
05-26-2005, 04:18 AM
I play SnGs because I'm better at them, which means that I make more money at them, which means that I have more fun playing them. If I had been having this much fun playing ring games I probably would have never switched to SnGs, even if I had known how much I could make.

[ QUOTE ]
It isnt poker. Its math.

That's what poker is.

[/ QUOTE ]
NL ring games do not seem like the are just math since so much depends on player reads and bluffing.