PDA

View Full Version : Raise 4th against open Aces?

beta1607
05-26-2005, 02:19 AM
7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (hand converter (http://www.geocities.com/greenage22/7StudConverter.hta.txt))

3rd Street - (0.80 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___brings-in___calls
Seat 5: xx xx A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___completes___calls
Hero: A/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___raises
Seat 7: xx xx T/images/graemlins/heart.gif___folds
Seat 8: xx xx Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___folds

4th Street - (6.80 SB)

Seat 4: xx xx 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___calls
Seat 5: xx xx A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif___double bets
Hero: A/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___calls

5th Street - (6.40 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif___folds
Seat 5: xx xx A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif___checks___calls
Hero: A/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif___bets

6th Street - (8.40 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/club.gif___checks
Hero: A/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif___checks

River - (8.40 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/club.gif xx___bets
Hero: A/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/club.gif___calls

Total pot: (10.40 BB)

I am mainly concerned with my play on 4th - but comments on all streets appreciated. Should I have raised 4th to shut out the other player? Is 7th an easy fold when I dont improve?

bigredlemon
05-26-2005, 02:36 AM
I think you either need to raise or fold 4th.

So far you've represented trip jacks, and a raise on 4th would be consistant with that. If he's solid enough to likely fold then definetly raise. Otherwise you have to fold yourself. Villain likely has a hidden big pair since he completed 2nd to act. You'll be drawing slim to beat him.

beta1607
05-26-2005, 02:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Villain likely has a hidden big pair since he completed 2nd to act.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I think I took the worst possible line starting on 4th and all the way to 7th. The only streets I played right in my opinion are 3rd and 6th.

lane mcbride
05-26-2005, 02:42 AM
I fold fourth.

Roland
05-26-2005, 02:50 AM
Folding 4th might be a good idea if this guy is sane. If not, I’d just call it down. I don’t think it’s necessary to raise on 4th – those diamonds are plenty dead.
And I call on the river. He might have started with 5d Qs Ad or something. People raise with all kinds of crap.

Andy B
05-26-2005, 04:19 AM
Fourth is probably a fold, and you're right that calling is your worst option. Your line is OK, especially if the guy with the Ace in the door is prone to making early position raises with garbage. You can't have felt comfortable putting all that money in without knowing where you were at, though. I call the river and don't like it one bit.

Bartholow
05-26-2005, 10:24 AM
I can't see the benefit of raising 4th really. He's not going to fold immediately because you could be making some silly flush draw semi-bluff. While calling still shows a lot of strength, such that if you want to try to knock him off his hand it's better to wait till later. But I think he probably has two pair here, so I'm not sure I'd try to knock him off it at all.

I do think you should continue, I think a J or T is good for the pot often enough, plus the slim chance you are in the lead.

MRBAA
05-26-2005, 11:10 AM
I don't raise fourth to ko the other guy because he won't fold any of the hands I'd really want him to fold anyway (like a four flush, four str8 or two small pair). I call fourth, check behind on fifth, call if bet to on sixth and fold the river unimproved against most opponents.

bigredlemon
05-26-2005, 03:19 PM
If hero raises on 4th, then villain #2 is facing most likely one and easily two trips on 4th. I can't see why he'd continue.

Andy B
05-26-2005, 03:29 PM
He would continue because he has a flush draw. He isn't thinking about what the other guys have, or what his pot equity is. He has a flush draw, and if it costs him eight big bets to see if he can make it, so be it.