PDA

View Full Version : How's this crazy idea for minimizing expenses while turning pro

AA suited
05-26-2005, 02:01 AM
Get a van/suv to live out of. (bed in the back, plus portable fridge/portable stove. and/or Foreman's grill.)

Sell everything else that won't fit in there. When it gets too cold or too hot, drive to a better climate. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

get a gym membership so you can stay healthy in between playing, and to take showers.

play at free wireless hotspots. many small coffee shops in major cities offer free wireless. (obviously, u gota have a laptop.)

expenses:
car insurance (if it's too expensive, drive to another city/state /images/graemlins/smile.gif )
gas
gym membership
coffee/tea + refills
cell phone
po box

You're monthly expenses will be around $400/month. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Scuba Chuck
05-26-2005, 02:07 AM
Just focus on winning, otherwise, get a job. If you can't make enough to afford $2k in living expenses, you can't afford to be a pro. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Scuba
PS - this will for sure increase your OOTM streak with regards to the sex life.

J-Lo
05-26-2005, 02:07 AM
$400/month eh? and amortize in the expenses when u go crazy and have to pay your shrink...

Big Limpin'
05-26-2005, 02:13 AM
i realized i spent more on coffee than rent last month...
do you offer a course in "non-retarded living"...cause i need to enroll in that. /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BradleyT
05-26-2005, 02:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Get a van/suv to live out of. (bed in the back, plus portable fridge/portable stove. and/or Foreman's grill.)

Sell everything else that won't fit in there. When it gets too cold or too hot, drive to a better climate. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

get a gym membership so you can stay healthy in between playing, and to take showers.

play at free wireless hotspots. many small coffee shops in major cities offer free wireless. (obviously, u gota have a laptop.)

expenses:
car insurance (if it's too expensive, drive to another city/state /images/graemlins/smile.gif )
gas
gym membership
coffee/tea + refills
cell phone
po box

You're monthly expenses will be around $400/month. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Living in a van down by the river is -EV.

treeofwisdom7
05-26-2005, 02:30 AM
i like this idea lets get one and live together.. well call it the "cash van"..

DasLeben
05-26-2005, 02:46 AM
Move to Northern AZ. Until my student loan payments kick in, I can live on $800/month in a 2-bedroom, 1100 sq. ft. house. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The Yugoslavian
05-26-2005, 02:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah....this one is just too easy.

*sigh*

I'll let someone else elaborate.

Yugoslav

Daliman
05-26-2005, 02:52 AM
Ah, yes, the good life indeed.

SuitedSixes
05-26-2005, 02:54 AM
Are you a Lumberjack?

BTW: Everytime I see your screen name I think, "Mmmm . . . lesbians."

ilya
05-26-2005, 02:56 AM
Sounds fun, if you've got the balls not to care what people think, go for it. But I'd make sure you *can* make at least 2k/month if you need to before going pro.

Actually a better idea is to move to a small college city like New Haven. When I was a student there, I rented a room in a very cool apartment for $260/month. Bookstores, check. Coffeeshops, check. Movie theaters, theaters, restaurants, bars, clubs, check, check, check, check, check!! Dozens of cute girls everywhere, check! And NYC is just 1.5hrs away on the commuter train. check! check! check!!!!! check.

Come to think of it, why the hell haven't I moved back there yet.

treeofwisdom7
05-26-2005, 02:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

*sigh*

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

pimpin aint easy.. pimpin aint easy my friend..

Big Limpin'
05-26-2005, 03:01 AM
Honestly, completely seroius, i kind a have a goal of saving up some $ and buying a sailboat.

I'd live on her, she would spent most of her time in harbor, with me on the deck in a easychair playin on laptop.

Bad beats would be met by me tiltin' my captains hat to the side and saying "arrr'"

I actually scouted seaworthy old wooden sailboats, and you can pick up a pretty sweet ride for like 50k...moorage for a year for a 35' or so runs like 1k/yr, at out of the way harbors.

(edited to improve embarrasingly poor grammar)

treeofwisdom7
05-26-2005, 03:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, completely seroius, i kind a have a goal of saving up some $ and buying a sailboat.

I'd live on her, she would spent most of her time in harbor, with me on the deck in a easychair playin on laptop.

Bad beats would be met by me tiltin' my captains hat to the side and saying "arrr'"

I actually scouted seaworthy old wooden sailboats, and you can pick up a pretty sweet ride for like 50k...moorage for a year for a 35' or so runs like 1k/yr, at out of the way harbors.

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like a great idea but i dont think the connection at sea would be any good..

pergesu
05-26-2005, 03:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

*sigh*

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

He called you gay.

Big Limpin'
05-26-2005, 03:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like a great idea but i dont think the connection at sea would be any good..

[/ QUOTE ]

Au contrare, the local marina provides a wi-fi hotspot to entire marina. $3cdn/day.

sahala
05-26-2005, 03:15 AM
Move overseas, preferably a 3rd world country with decent internet connections. For $400 a month you can have a house. For another $120/month you can have a maid/cook.

Big Limpin'
05-26-2005, 03:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Move overseas, preferably a 3rd world country with decent internet connections. For $400 a month you can have a house. For another $120/month you can have a maid/cook.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am about 90% sure i will be moving to Buenos Aires in August. $500ish includes maid. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Plus, you know, i hear they have some fine ladies down there (?)

Degen
05-26-2005, 03:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

*sigh*

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

He called you gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

this sequence seriously made me roll on the floor laughing

Andre

Degen
05-26-2005, 03:22 AM
i'm sold

moving to new haven!

Andre

ilya
05-26-2005, 03:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm sold

moving to new haven!

Andre

[/ QUOTE ]

it definitely doesn't deserve its rep as a shithole.

Newt_Buggs
05-26-2005, 03:42 AM
I've been toying with the idea of doing any one of these things for a couple of years after I graduate from college. I could save up a ton of money and easily buy a place to live once I'm ready to return to "normal" life and I'll never have to pay rent again. Even though the poker bubble will have bursted, I'll have something to show for it.

DasLeben
05-26-2005, 03:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you a Lumberjack?

BTW: Everytime I see your screen name I think, "Mmmm . . . lesbians."

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, yes, I am a lumberjack.

Funny though, since I get two reactions to my handle in my games: 1. "Reminds me of 'lesbian' LOL!!!11one" or 2. Random German such as "Wo wohnst du? Bist du Deutscher?"

It's funny either way.

viennagreen
05-26-2005, 03:59 AM
are you serious about moving to Buenos Aires in August?

i'm currently living in Vegas, planning on moving down there for at least three months in September...

where are you looking for apartments? i've been thinking about going through these guys:
http://www.apartmentsba.com/system/contenido.php?id_cat=0

a little more expensive than $500/month, but very completely flexible lease, all utilities and high speed internet included, plus weekly maid service in most cases.

viennagreen
05-26-2005, 03:59 AM
which third world country?

Blarg
05-26-2005, 04:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am about 90% sure i will be moving to Buenos Aires in August. $500ish includes maid. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Why Buenos Aires? Do you speak Portuguese? Know people there? Or just always wanted to live there?

Blarg
05-26-2005, 04:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A friend of mine said he had always wanted to do that. He loved sailing anyway, and it would be a dirt cheap way to live, in a great environment.

The only thing is, of course, you'll either have to also have or rent storage space elsewhere, or have next to no possessions.

Which isn't actually a bad way to live at all if you're really young and have no possessions, I suppose. But for someone who's not brand spanking new, it would mean a pretty drastic change from a regular lifestyle.

treeofwisdom7
05-26-2005, 04:14 AM
dont think the bubble will burst for a long time

sahala
05-26-2005, 05:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am full of hate.

Newt_Buggs
05-26-2005, 05:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
dont think the bubble will burst for a long time

[/ QUOTE ]
lets hope so because I still have 2 more years before I even get out of school

Blarg
05-26-2005, 07:50 AM
The crime rate there is just astronomical, though. You know, whole sections of the cities completely owned by gangs and vigilante death squads merchants hire to kill all the little orphaned shoplifting kids, etc.

I mean, talk about nightmarish third-world piss hole factor.

Hopefully you're going to a very safe place, because that place is crawling with crime at an insane level.

hansarnic
05-26-2005, 08:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Australia is the place to be. A beautiful country yet still pretty affordable, even in Sydney. Plus your 9-5 would be Party's peak time.

My vote for the worst place to try to make a living out of Poker would be right here in London. Sky-high cost of living and rubbish games unless you play nights /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Pete H
05-26-2005, 08:38 AM
If you are a break even player, you can easily be a "pro" in Finland.

Finnish social security pays your rent and after that you'll get about $400/month spending money.

I guess it's nice life if playing poker is all you want to do.

Sad thing you have to be a citizen or a refugee to get those benefits.

FieryJustice
05-26-2005, 02:35 PM
I came up with a good idea (i think) that I was strongly considering doing. I was thinking about living on a cruise ship for about a year or so. I figured this would cost about 50K or so for a year. I'm sure living on a big ass boat eating nice ass food would be nice, but I'm sure it would get old after a while. I would have to fine some nice ass whore on the boat to keep me company.
Jcardshark

microbet
05-26-2005, 02:40 PM
I heard of a cruise ship which is at least largely, if not entirely, filled with permanent residents.

I wouldn't be surprised if all the cruise lines had prices for long term leases.

microbet
05-26-2005, 02:48 PM
It's called an escape fantasy. I think everyone has them.

If you are going to live in a van and drive around the country, don't forget to take a hot chick, a smart chick, a hippy, and a Great Dane.

augie00
05-26-2005, 03:21 PM
This is awful. The most appealing part of being a poker professional is being able to live comfortably by doing nothing more than playing cards.

I wouldn't wanna live in a fuggin' van.

syka16
05-26-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was a sailing instructor in college and a guy I worked with bought a Capri 25' for $5,000 and slept in the bay. He got by fine and I think it's possible maybe even cool for a summer.

Gramps
05-26-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Living in a van down by the river is -EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although, if you get the motivational speaker business up and running on the side, that alone could cover your $400/month in expenses, and then your poker is pure profit...

ZeeJustin
05-26-2005, 04:22 PM
Another way you'll save money with this method: You'll never have a need to buy condoms.

jah0550
05-26-2005, 04:25 PM
"I live in a van...down by the river!"

SonicReducer
05-26-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Another way you'll save money with this method: You'll never have a need to buy condoms.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice!

Voltron87
05-26-2005, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

zing

AA suited
05-26-2005, 11:16 PM
Zee:

When did you move to Sherman Oaks, CA?

ZeeJustin
05-27-2005, 06:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Zee:

When did you move to Sherman Oaks, CA?

[/ QUOTE ]

About 2 weeks ago.

AA suited
05-27-2005, 01:18 PM
darn,

I'm in DC area.

i was going to ask if i can peer over your shoulder and just watch wile u play /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Phoenix1010
05-27-2005, 01:26 PM
This is a sweet idea. I'm painting my cash van like the Mystery Machine. I don't think the general public is ready for the long loud strings of obscenities that will be constantly flowing from my mobile poker fortress while I'm playing though.