PDA

View Full Version : JJ facing raise and all-in

dfscott
05-26-2005, 12:42 AM
Yet another twist on the "how to play jacks" theme. UTG was fairly tight, while MP was pretty loose.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG (t1770)
MP (t345)
CO (t950)
Hero (t2205)
SB (t400)
BB (t2330)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t325</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to t345 (All-in)</font> , <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero ???

Maulik
05-26-2005, 12:48 AM
against a loose fool, I'm ready to get my chips in w/ JJ.

is he overplaying pocket pairs or face cards?

Bluff Daddy
05-26-2005, 12:56 AM
I would probably push, depending a little on what I know about utg

bluefeet
05-26-2005, 01:35 AM
i'd take MP out of the equation for a second. how would you react to UTG's 3x raise? with your read, what kind of hand would you put him on?

another problem: SB might be hopping on the train. let's assume he does.

U PUSH-
- UTG calls
-- you ONLY/MUST beat UTG. you do, you're rich, you don't you're dead (almost)
- UTG folds
-- you have to beat both, if not you only lose T400

U CALL-
- safe flop = you push
-- if UTG folds, you still have to hold up to 2 other hands, if not you lose T400 (no side pot)
- bad flop = you check/fold. you lose T400

U FOLD-
- you lose/gain nothing

calling sucks. because your 'perfect' flop will either null&amp;void any sidepot, or bust you if he has an overpair. too much risk for the chance your J's hold up to both MP and SB.

pushing with an UTG fold isn't horrible...T400 for T1200 w/ JJ isn't a bad offer - despite 3-handed.

if you assume UTG will call your push...there is a chance the 3 might share an overcard or two. i guess it boils down to your read on UTG &amp; the original question. what would you have done HU w/ UTG's raise?

if you were considering just calling, you can't - not worth it IMO. if you were pushing, hoping he'd fold - he now has more incentive to call. if you were pushing hoping he would call - you might have T400 less incentive to do so (given that MP or SB might crack your JJ, even if you beat UTG).

no shame in folding here.

Scuba Chuck
05-26-2005, 01:36 AM
David, this hand is interesting due to the smaller blinds (50/100) relative to your stack size. In general, I don't think I could fault anyone for folding here. That being said, the extra 25 chips in his bet (to me) tells me that he doesn't have AA or KK. Likely a hand like AJ. Furthermore, IMO, a PUSH from you here will likely fold UTG (more times than not) and leave plenty of dead chips for you to race for.

runner4life7
05-26-2005, 01:43 AM
I push here without much thinking, i agree that often times UTG will then fold which is giving you great odds, not that you should need them. You probably have MP beat and he is just hoping to more than doulbe up and have everyone else fold. So yeah I push and cross my fingers that they hold up.

Newt_Buggs
05-26-2005, 04:02 AM
personally, if a tight player is raising UTG and I'm middle stack with a very good chance of making it into the money but could easily get busted if I push, I'm folding.

chisness
05-26-2005, 04:31 AM
Does anyone consider calling here? It doesn't seem unreasonable, but I think the likelihood of UTG folding is probably too high to do it in this case.

The advantage to it is that if he does have AK or AQ and calls, you don't have to worry about a race.

Shillx
05-26-2005, 04:32 AM
I'm going to the felt. If UTG doesn't call, I'll be getting about 2:1 on my money as roughly a 2:1 favorite against his liberal range of hands.

Brad