PDA

View Full Version : Crappy overpair on level 2, 10+1

Phoenix1010
05-25-2005, 09:47 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

CO (t770)
Hero (t690)
SB (t545)
BB (t1310)
UTG (t745)
UTG+1 (t795)
MP1 (t635)
MP2 (t1700)
MP3 (t810)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls t30, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t75</font>, UTG calls t45, Hero calls t45.

Flop: (t240) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t150</font>, UTG calls t150, Hero folds.

Everything standard?

lastchance
05-25-2005, 10:50 PM
If this isn't a 10+1, this is standard. That said, there's t540 in the pot, you've got t600 and an overpair... I push.

Phoenix1010
05-25-2005, 11:45 PM
Any others?

Newt_Buggs
05-26-2005, 12:08 AM
I'm folding what is possibly the best hand. Without UTG in there I think that this is a justifiable push but now its just too likely you are beat. Then again I haven't played a $10 in a long time.

Pete H
05-26-2005, 08:16 AM
I don't think they have pocket pairs.

I put BB on AK-AJ (most likely AK) and UTG on A2, A5 or A7 (would've probably raised with this).

I'd push this flop, get called by BB's JJ and start another tournament.

Unarmed
05-26-2005, 08:45 AM
Yup. If UTG had folded I would have pushed.

jon_1van
05-26-2005, 09:39 AM
So I thought about this hand and I don't think any of your possible decisions leave you with an easy hand to play.

But I'm toying with the idea of pushing preflop when the action gets back around to you. Right off the cuff this sounds like a bad idea because of the "overbet" nature...but I'm not quite sure. When it backs around to you you've seen UTG go call/call. So I think we can take an educated guess that UTG doesn't have an overpair (he might have 99/TT bue what the hell) The only question left is "Does BB have an overpair". I'm gonna say no because I think at the 11's the strange raises are often people over valueing KQ and the like.

So it seems like a preflop push after the strange raise migh set you up for a race with some dead money which I'd take right now in your shoes.

I will say that I wouldn't have thought of this while I was playing.

Does anyone think the push preflop is completely terrible...it might be but I don't like this situation you'll get yourself in if you call. The pot will be 1/3rd of your stack. And you'll have a hard time knowing if you are ahead much of the time.

Phoenix1010
05-26-2005, 09:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So I thought about this hand and I don't think any of your possible decisions leave you with an easy hand to play.

But I'm toying with the idea of pushing preflop when the action gets back around to you. Right off the cuff this sounds like a bad idea because of the "overbet" nature...but I'm not quite sure. When it backs around to you you've seen UTG go call/call. So I think we can take an educated guess that UTG doesn't have an overpair (he might have 99/TT bue what the hell) The only question left is "Does BB have an overpair". I'm gonna say no because I think at the 11's the strange raises are often people over valueing KQ and the like.

So it seems like a preflop push after the strange raise migh set you up for a race with some dead money which I'd take right now in your shoes.

I will say that I wouldn't have thought of this while I was playing.

Does anyone think the push preflop is completely terrible...it might be but I don't like this situation you'll get yourself in if you call. The pot will be 1/3rd of your stack. And you'll have a hard time knowing if you are ahead much of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting line of thinking. I have to say... I disagree. Yes, weird small raises like that can be a signal for crappy overcards like KQ, but a lot of times it's a strong signal that he has a monster and is looking for action (not knowing that he's hammering himself with reverse implied odds). I've seen it too many times to discount, and I had a strong feeling about this one. The fact that I have position makes this an easy preflop call, which will enable me to get a way from a bad flop with minimum investment, and perhaps get away from a good flop if I don't like the action (as in this case). I'll often push hands like this preflop if I smell a weak hand, but I'd want to have more dead money in there, and there usually has to be some factor present that will make me not want to play the hand postflop (like being out of position, or facing too many other players).

-Phoenix