PDA

View Full Version : Question about Books and Microlimit

SurfBliss
05-25-2005, 08:53 PM
Ok,
So I've been playing for about a month and I beginning to get a feel for the Mcro-limits. Before I started a month ago, i was playing some pretty awful NL home games, I had my head up my ass as much as anybody at the table, I crack that game petty consistently now, thats how bad it is. Anyways, I've played about 5,000 hands at Empire .5/1 , I've won like 350ish, my BB/100 is 9.01. All that considered, Im still feeling very inadequate as far as my knowledge goes. The only thing I've read so far Is Texas Hold Em For Advanced Players, and yeah I know, Im not advanced, and yeah its for 10-20$, but a friend recommended it and I really didnt know what was out there as far as material. I've used his preflop strategy to really tighten my game up a lot more, my post flop is a mess. I've kinda decided that I need to put this on the shelf till i've built a soild base of knowledge, I've since ordered SSHE.
So my question,
What should I read to get a better sense of pot odds, implied odds, etc... I need soemthing that will give me a clear understanding of this stuff? The stuff in HEPAP was pretty thin, 3 pgs I think.

Anything else that I should read, even if its not 2+2 , please recommend, especially postflop play.

Thanks
Mike

shadow29
05-25-2005, 08:55 PM
Sounds like you need the ole:

WLLH
SSHE

@bsolute_luck
05-25-2005, 09:28 PM
Theory of Poker. it's all in there.

trainslayer
05-25-2005, 09:36 PM
SSHE
SSHE
repeat

try these also:
link1 (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=micro&Number=1674535&fpart =&PHPSESSID=)
link2 (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=micro&Number=2415682&fpart =&PHPSESSID=)

Learn to use the search function. It is invaluable to uncovering precious gems. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good luck! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Stuey
05-25-2005, 09:38 PM
I think you can learn enough about pot odds, equity, ect. in SSHE. TOP is good if you want a deeper understanding. GTBOI was the best at explaining the math I found.

But I think GTAOT is the best book I have ever read. It was the first time I started to understand the swings to expect. This book took all the stress of playing poker away for me. I finally started playing within my bankroll. There is so much in this book. Theory, humor, math, really a little of everything and a ton of the important stuff. I wish I had read it first. Well maybe second as I still don't understand all the ideas Mason presents.

aK13
05-25-2005, 09:38 PM
mmbt0ne's microlimit collection.

Nak
05-25-2005, 10:18 PM
OP might not know all the abbreviations (I don't even know the ones in the last post). TOP = theory of poker. WLLH = winning low limit holdem.

What about Ed's book Getting Started in Hold'em? I haven't read it, but I got it for my Mom for Mother's day, and she seems to love it. But she was an absolute beginner.

Nak

Nak
05-25-2005, 10:19 PM
Oh yeah, welcome.

Nak

Stuey
05-25-2005, 10:27 PM
Good point.

GTAOT= Gambling Theory and Other Topics by Mason Malmuth
GTBOI= Getting the Best of It by David Sklansky