PDA

View Full Version : 76o BB

Nate tha' Great
05-25-2005, 08:22 PM
40/80 live game is running 4-handed. The Button open-raises as I'm guessing he'll do maybe 60% of the time. He's a regular in this game and I'm not and I haven't played many hands in this session and have shown down even fewer and I'm pretty sure that he thinks I might fold too much. He's ordinarily a pretty good player but has been drinking and riled up some by a LAG who was at the table earlier and has been getting crazy with semibluffs and so forth.

Anyway Button open-raises, SB folds, I 3-bet from the BB with 76o, he calls.

The flop is QJ6 I think with a flush draw I bet, he raises, I call.

Turn is a total blank I check he bets I call.

The river is a K. In order of ascending absurdity, should I

check-fold
check-call
bet-fold
bet-call
check-raise

???

billyjex
05-25-2005, 08:43 PM
i think you should have called PF and C/R the flop.

but i dunno what to do on the river, I'm leaving towards check/fold because I don't know what kind of hand he will still be pushing that you beat. if you think he can play Ax that hard until the river it might be worth a call but otherwise i feel it's a muck.

AceHigh
05-25-2005, 09:02 PM
Bet-fold would be my choice.

Nate tha' Great
05-25-2005, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i think you should have called PF and C/R the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I call preflop 99% of the time but this is that 1%. The game had gone from 8-handed to 4-handed pretty quickly and I think he'd tried to steal my blind maybe 4 times out of 5 since then. I wanted to do something "noisy" to alter the way I was perceived and I felt I had do it fairly soon.

disjunction
05-25-2005, 09:35 PM
If you truly think he's raising 60% preflop and trying to run you over, induce the bluff. And while you're busy inducing, add another bet and c/r.

Grisgra
05-25-2005, 09:50 PM
Where's the bet/3-bet?

Benman
05-25-2005, 10:57 PM
I don't play nearly this high, so this is probably a basic question to you guys. Why play with 76o? I understand the raise, to take control from a possible steal raise, but why not just fold and wait for a stronger hand?

imitation
05-25-2005, 11:16 PM
check/call, you spewed that many chips into the pot on the 1% time you were going to play it this way for image reasons, atleast you have to show this badboy down.

Chris Daddy Cool
05-25-2005, 11:20 PM
the most absurd thing would be to bet-3-bet-5-bet. that or get up and hit him over the head with a beer bottle. but then again i'm not making any sense because i'm a college student on a lazy wednesday night. whatever that means.

MecosKing
05-25-2005, 11:48 PM
I think check/calling is about the only thing that works here. Any kind of raising is just out of the question, because there is nothing he'd call with that you beat.

I also think that due to the 'pissing contest' nature of the hand, and the fact that niether of you seems to be crediting the other with much of a hand, its unlikely you could bet or C/R him off the best hand in a headsup pot that big.

In addition, i think that in this situation, a check/fold is too weak simply because yeah, if he bets the river theres a decent chance its a value bet and you are beaten, it also sounds like a situation where the guy might fire the last barrel with any hand at all, so my take on this is that youve gotten yourself in this pot up to your eyeballs, for better or worse, and youve got to call it down and hope YHIG.

I have been in many of these situations in big live HU games, and it a real bitch.

You could conceivably bet/fold, and theres an infinitesimal chance that he'd fold a hand like 88--but i wouldnt bet on it (no pun intended)

SteveY
05-26-2005, 12:22 AM
I like a check-call here. It seems like he plays erratic enough that you'd want to see a showdown. Plus he thinks you fold too much.

sfer
05-26-2005, 12:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't play nearly this high, so this is probably a basic question to you guys. Why play with 76o? I understand the raise, to take control from a possible steal raise, but why not just fold and wait for a stronger hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Button thinks Nate is weak/tight.

sfer
05-26-2005, 12:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you truly think he's raising 60% preflop and trying to run you over, induce the bluff. And while you're busy inducing, add another bet and c/r.

[/ QUOTE ]

Checking to induce makes sense. Checking to induce and then raising doesn't.

rory
05-26-2005, 01:01 AM
I'm not really a big fan of doing this with 7 high. A lot of times when a guy is in the mood to bully you around there is no way in hell he is going to dump any sort of reasonable hand against you. If he has a hand that has any showdown value at all he is going to go to showdown. And you've got 7 high. I would just suck it up until I picked up something with some showdown value, then do the 3-bet macho moves.

One thing that the bully will do, though, is keep betting a totally hopeless hand because he thinks you are a weakie and will fold. So I would check-call this river without really worrying about it. Sometimes the bullies just get in the betting flow and if there were 10 streets they would bet every single street with 9 high hoping you will fold on each one. I can't see doing anything other than check-calling ths river here.

You decided to go to war with the bully with 76. 76 pairs are usually bottom pair. Gotta reap what you sow and check-call with it. I hope you showed him what you wanted to show him!

Renaud Desferet
05-26-2005, 01:23 AM
I think it is close between check call and check raise.
Check raise is best if you have the right image (it seems like you do) and if he likes to thin value bet.
All the other options are way behind in my opinion.

Renaud Desferet
05-26-2005, 01:32 AM
Actually, in a vacuum, I think he is somewhat likely to cap preflop with pocket pairs 77-TT so I would downgrade check raise a bit...

Steve Giufre
05-26-2005, 01:52 AM
Check call. I was thinking about a check raise too, but I dont like it because like renaud said he probably 4 bets preflop with a lot of the hands he might bet for value but fold to a raise on the river. I hate bet call and bet fold, because I just dont see this guy calling the river with a worse hand, especially given your image. The pot is big, I think you are probably good just enough here to make him turn his hand over.

Alobar
05-26-2005, 02:44 AM
From the way he views you, I dont think hes betting this river unless he has you beat. He thinks you are weak tight and you keep calling, hes got to figure you for a made hand thats going to call. If he calls ure river bet, he has you beat, so betting does nothing for you. Check folding sucks because you miss out on getting to showthis down, which is part of what you want, and the way you played this hand, if you go to the river and fold, hes really going to make plays at you in the future. so the big question is, if he bets, will he fold to your checkraise? With the way he views you, unless hes got 2pr I think he will. Also of importance, do you flash him your hand after he does? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

disjunction
05-26-2005, 10:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes sense to me, because you're inducing bluffs and thin value bets. The game is live, when you c/r there might be a lot that he folds.

krishanleong
05-26-2005, 10:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not really a big fan of doing this with 7 high

[/ QUOTE ]

Me neither. Thankfully Nate has a pair of 6s.

Krishan

sfer
05-26-2005, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes sense to me, because you're inducing bluffs and thin value bets. The game is live, when you c/r there might be a lot that he folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you're not checking to induce.

Nate tha' Great
05-26-2005, 02:18 PM
I bet, he called pretty quick with K9.