PDA

View Full Version : LAG makes me a LAG?

sfer
05-25-2005, 07:23 PM
Party 15/30.

First hand at the table and I post in the CO. LAG UTG (45/25/1) raises, UTG+1 (30/8/1.4) coldcalls, I call with A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

3 ways for 7.6 SBs. Flop is 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif A /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. UTG bets, UTG+1 calls, I call. I plan on raising a non-heart turn and showing down.

3 ways for 5 BBs. Turn is K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif UTG bets, UTG+1 folds, I abandon my plan HU and call.

HU to the river which is the A /images/graemlins/spade.gif. UTG bets and I really want to raise. Eh?

Nate tha' Great
05-25-2005, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Party 15/30.

First hand at the table and I post in the CO. LAG UTG (45/25/1) raises, UTG+1 (30/8/1.4) coldcalls, I call with A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

3 ways for 7.6 SBs. Flop is 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif A /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. UTG bets, UTG+1 calls, I call. I plan on raising a non-heart turn and showing down.

3 ways for 5 BBs. Turn is K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif UTG bets, UTG+1 folds, I abandon my plan HU and call.

HU to the river which is the A /images/graemlins/spade.gif. UTG bets and I really want to raise. Eh?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is like the easiest raise ever.

rigoletto
05-25-2005, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no, no. The easiest ever was my turn 3-bet with quad J's against obvoius AA who turned a full house.

rigoletto
05-25-2005, 07:54 PM
I think your plan for the turn should be to call and then raise the river no matter what. I would hate to be 3-bet by LAG on the turn.

Boris
05-25-2005, 08:04 PM
Why is this the easiest raise ever? Looks like a solid call to me. The guy represented an Ace on every single street.

Nate tha' Great
05-25-2005, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why is this the easiest raise ever? Looks like a solid call to me. The guy represented an Ace on every single street.

[/ QUOTE ]

A player who raises 25% of his hands before the flop can have an awful lot of hands. Also a player who raises 25% of his hands before the flop is going to continue to bet into this board regardless of his holding if he hasn't met resistance. I also like a raise because it looks like a desperation play and you'll usually get called down by any pair.

Boris
05-25-2005, 08:13 PM
Well correct me if I'm wrong but his aggression factor was a 1, which I don't think is that aggressive. Also, various shades of The Maniac have been discussed extensively here in the past. You need to look deeper than "the player raises 25% of the time pre-flop". He bet 3 times after the flop. Does this mean anything at all? Do you think this steadily increases the chance he has an ace? If you raise and are called, how often do you think your hand will be good?

Nate tha' Great
05-25-2005, 08:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well correct me if I'm wrong but his aggression factor was a 1, which I don't think is that aggressive. Also, various shades of The Maniac have been discussed extensively here in the past. You need to look deeper than "the player raises 25% of the time pre-flop". He bet 3 times after the flop. Does this mean anything at all? Do you think this steadily increases the chance he has an ace? If you raise and are called, how often do you think your hand will be good?

[/ QUOTE ]

The player bet three times because we'd called two times. Bad players just don't give up on hands very often without resistance.

Also, in terms of the Pokertracker stats, an aggression factor of 1 is not all that low for a player who plays this many hands, since he'll be in there with weak holdings and will be forced into doing a lot of calling.

SoBeDude
05-25-2005, 08:27 PM

Oh to be back a couple of years ago, when people posted meangingful and insightful responses to peoples questions.

But let me spell it out for you, in case I was too subtle:

Your response is like the lamest reply. ever.

-Scott

jgorham
05-25-2005, 08:49 PM
To be fair he did respond twice more to this thread answering questions of other posters. They were good and detailed answers too!

roy_miami
05-25-2005, 10:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well correct me if I'm wrong but his aggression factor was a 1, which I don't think is that aggressive

[/ QUOTE ]

In relation to his VPIP the 1 agg factor would probably be equivelent to somebody having a VPIP of 18 and an aggression factor of 3. Basically, that aggression factor stat is useless. I am looking into alternative methods of determining agression factors for opps as we speak.

[ QUOTE ]
You need to look deeper than "the player raises 25% of the time pre-flop". He bet 3 times after the flop. Does this mean anything at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not much, except its unlikely he flopped a set or some other big hand.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think this steadily increases the chance he has an ace?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't seen him play, but based on his stats no.

[ QUOTE ]
If you raise and are called, how often do you think your hand will be good?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he just calls? Upwards of 95% of the time we will at least split.

I think he calls our raise with everything except medium to small pairs and pure bluffs. He calls with Kx, QQ, JJ, TT, and perhaps even some 9x hands.

Easy raise for me.

Boris
05-25-2005, 11:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If he just calls? Upwards of 95% of the time we will at least split.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on the range of hands you put this guy on there is absolutely no basis to think you will split 95% of the time.

edit: but yea, I agree if he will call with all the hands you listed then its a good raise.

imashyboi
05-26-2005, 12:00 AM
Is it not possible that the player UTG who raised has an A with a higher kicker than yours? I mean, even though he plays alot more hands upfront I think he'll have an A with a decent kicker more than a small pocket pair alot of the times. If he has a small PP, will he bet the river knowing that several overcards flopped including an A. I'm calling here since my hand doesn't beat anything on the board if he has an A. I don't think we'd split the pot either, win lose situation.

sfer
05-26-2005, 12:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it not possible that the player UTG who raised has an A with a higher kicker than yours? I mean, even though he plays alot more hands upfront I think he'll have an A with a decent kicker more than a small pocket pair alot of the times. If he has a small PP, will he bet the river knowing that several overcards flopped including an A. I'm calling here since my hand doesn't beat anything on the board if he has an A. I don't think we'd split the pot either, win lose situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's only one more Ace in the deck.

imashyboi
05-26-2005, 12:16 AM
But he represented an A all the way to the river. I mean if he checked the turn then you know your ahead. I think raising is a mistake just because your not good most of the time, but if he is value betting KK all the way then, woo hoo!!!..haha

whats the results anyways?

SA125
05-26-2005, 02:04 AM
This reminds me of Brier's 44 hand from Cardplayer that was posted. I think the raise is safer than it looks. You haven't shown anything yet and didn't pop the turn, so he could have you on a draw. There's lots of hands a LAG would raise UTG and bet like this other than AK, KK, A9 or 99 and wouldn't 3 bet with.

Justin A
05-26-2005, 02:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's only one more Ace in the deck.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an excellent point that I overlooked. At first I was thinking marginal raise, now I'm in the easy raise camp.

DeezNutz3
05-26-2005, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But he represented an A all the way to the river. I mean if he checked the turn then you know your ahead. I think raising is a mistake just because your not good most of the time, but if he is value betting KK all the way then, woo hoo!!!..haha

whats the results anyways?

[/ QUOTE ]

He doesn't beat KK

sfer
05-28-2005, 05:38 PM
I wussed out and called. Villain showed an unpaired busted 4 flush for the 3-barrel nasing.