PDA

View Full Version : Tonight, I feel proud to be English

partygirluk
05-25-2005, 07:22 PM
Am emotional. Struggling for words. Feel like crying. Unbelievable.

Dr. Strangelove
05-25-2005, 07:23 PM
Sports: opiate of the masses.

2+2 wannabe
05-25-2005, 07:24 PM
4 words:

most....amazing....game....ever

skoal2k4
05-25-2005, 07:25 PM
fill the colonies in on what's going on

Yeti
05-25-2005, 07:25 PM
Champions League Final.

skoal2k4
05-25-2005, 07:26 PM
that soccer?

partygirluk
05-25-2005, 07:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
that soccer?

[/ QUOTE ]

what?

jdl22
05-25-2005, 07:28 PM
Congrats.

Anybody know where I can download the match?

skoal2k4
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
that soccer?

[/ QUOTE ]

what?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes... i called it soccer!!

jason_t
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Today was the Champions League final between Liverpool and AC Milan. Liverpool was down 3-0 at half and looked completely dead. Early in the second half, they scored three incredible goals in seven minutes, their goalie Dudek has two amazing saves at point-blank range in extra time, the game went to penalty shootouts and Liverpool won 3-2 in dramatic fashion.

2+2 wannabe
05-25-2005, 07:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

liverpool (an english football [soccer] team) came back from 3-0 down in the second half to beat ac milan (italian football team) in the champions league final (a league for the best teams in europe)

jason_t
05-25-2005, 07:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Congrats.

Anybody know where I can download the match?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can purchase it from UEFA (http://www.uefa.com).

Yeti
05-25-2005, 07:30 PM
Yes. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/go/homepage/int/ne/nhdr/h1/t/-/news/sport1/hi/football/europe/4573159.stm)

2+2 wannabe
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Today was the Champions League final between Liverpool and AC Milan. Liverpool was down 3-0 at half and looked completely dead. Early in the second half, they scored three incredible goals in seven minutes, their goalie Dudek has two amazing saves at point-blank range in extra time, the game went to penalty shootouts and Liverpool won 3-2 in dramatic fashion.

[/ QUOTE ]

not to mention milan absolutely butchered their penalty kicks

skoal2k4
wow... i bet that was a hell of a second half to watch

jason_t
[ QUOTE ]
4 words:

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. While I think that the 1999 MU/Bayern Munich game was more dramatic, this game was more amazing.

partygirluk
05-25-2005, 07:32 PM
UEFA President has just said he will support Liverpool being given a Wild Card into next year's CL! First nation to have 5 teams in the CL!

2+2 wannabe
05-25-2005, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
4 words:

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. While I think that the 1999 MU/Bayern Munich game was more dramatic, this game was more amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

watched the replay on tv this afternoon - after it was 2-0 i thought it was done (but of course kept on watching because liverpool has been magical this year).

i wasn't disappointed

amazing saves in extra time

Voltron87
05-25-2005, 07:34 PM
dudek kind of cheated, but whatever. he was only 3 feet off the line.

2+2 wannabe
05-25-2005, 07:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
UEFA President has just said he will support Liverpool being given a Wild Card into next year's CL! First nation to have 5 teams in the CL!

[/ QUOTE ]

that would suck to have the CL champ not be able to repeat

haven't followed the reds in the premier league - how'd they get 5th? chelsea, arsenal, man u, who's 4th?

jason_t
05-25-2005, 07:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that would suck to have the CL champ not be able to repeat

haven't followed the reds in the premier league - how'd they get 5th? chelsea, arsenal, man u, who's 4th?

[/ QUOTE ]

Everton.

partygirluk
05-25-2005, 07:36 PM
Everton

Voltron87
05-25-2005, 07:37 PM
i think its everton, it might be bolton though.

jason_t
05-25-2005, 07:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i think its everton, it might be bolton though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bolton was 6th, behind to Liverpool only on GD.

jason_t
05-25-2005, 07:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
4 words:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

watched the replay on tv this afternoon - after it was 2-0 i thought it was done (but of course kept on watching because liverpool has been magical this year).

i wasn't disappointed

amazing saves in extra time

[/ QUOTE ]

I skipped school to watch the game. At half-time, I felt so guilty. I'll never forget this.

jdl22
05-25-2005, 07:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they should put Liverpool in and send the toffees to the UEFA cup.

Sheriff Fatman
05-25-2005, 08:49 PM
No-one's yet mentioned the true highlight of tonight - Liverpool's 5th win means they get to keep the trophy that Man Ure fans seemed to think they had a divine right to!

And, no, I'm not a Liverpool fan.

Awesome stuff!

Sheriff

JackWilson
05-25-2005, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No-one's yet mentioned the true highlight of tonight - Liverpool's 5th win means they get to keep the trophy that Man Ure fans seemed to think they had a divine right to!

Awesome stuff!

Sheriff

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain what the hell you're talking about.

theghost
05-25-2005, 10:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Awesome stuff!

Sheriff

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Manchester United are basically the Yankees of English football (in that they are hugely popular and win a lot) - and the arch rivals of Liverpool, I believe.

JackWilson
05-25-2005, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Awesome stuff!

Sheriff

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Manchester United are basically the Yankees of English football (in that they are hugely popular and win a lot) - and the arch rivals of Liverpool, I believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you mean well but your post does not contain a lot of truth.

jakethebake
05-25-2005, 10:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
won 3-2 in dramatic fashion.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

theghost
05-25-2005, 10:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Awesome stuff!

Sheriff

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you mean well but your post does not contain a lot of truth.

[/ QUOTE ]
Heh - sorry then, I tried.

Dominic
05-25-2005, 10:44 PM
Oh. So we're not talking about a real sport then, right?

KIDDING! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

woodguy
05-25-2005, 10:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the game went to penalty shootouts

[/ QUOTE ]

Shoot out?
At a championship game?

What, did everyone want to get the game done on time so they could go out to eat?

What ever happened to playing sudden death overtime until someone actually won?

Shoot outs blow, especially to decide championships.

Regards,
Woodguy

KDawgCometh
05-25-2005, 10:50 PM
It pains me, it really pains me. Though born an american, I am a Devil through and through since I started supporting them, but Liverpool really did deserve itwith how well they have played and played in the second half. shevchenko should've buried that header though. It still doesn't compare to man U scoring two goals to Beat Munich in the final three minutes. That was just riveting

jdl22
05-25-2005, 11:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm somewhat a Liverpool fan, I used to really be into them before going to Spain and Sevilla becoming my be all end all team, my interest in Liverpool has basically dissipated as evidenced by me not being overjoyed right now. There are a few things a bit off in your posts:

1. Liverpool are the Yankees of the EPL if by Yankees you mean the team that historically is by far the best team.
2. Chelsea are the Yankees of the EPL if by Yankees you mean the team that has loads of expensive players and an owner willing to shell out any quantity necesary trying to win (though Chelsea are more successful of late than the Yankees)
3. Liverpool basically have 2 archrivals those being Everton and manchester united. Everton is the other team in Liverpool and Man Utd is the traditional midlands rival.
4. Manchester United fans surely don't think they have a "divine right" to the CL trophy. If such fans exist they are surely Real Madrid supporters. Manchester United have only won it twice, just as many as powerhouse Nottingham Forrest (who suck now obviously but actually had a reasonably good team in the late seventies).

Voltron87
05-25-2005, 11:03 PM
Chelsea are the Yankees but without all the championships 50 years ago. They're in London, everyone jumps on the bandwagon, and Roman Abromavich is pretty much a russian George Steinbrenner.

kenberman
05-25-2005, 11:08 PM
how many liverpool players are english?

KDawgCometh
05-25-2005, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm somewhat a Liverpool fan, I used to really be into them before going to Spain and Sevilla becoming my be all end all team, my interest in Liverpool has basically dissipated as evidenced by me not being overjoyed right now. There are a few things a bit off in your posts:

1. Liverpool are the Yankees of the EPL if by Yankees you mean the team that historically is by far the best team.
2. Chelsea are the Yankees of the EPL if by Yankees you mean the team that has loads of expensive players and an owner willing to shell out any quantity necesary trying to win (though Chelsea are more successful of late than the Yankees)
3. Liverpool basically have 2 archrivals those being Everton and manchester united. Everton is the other team in Liverpool and Man Utd is the traditional midlands rival.
4. Manchester United fans surely don't think they have a "divine right" to the CL trophy. If such fans exist they are surely Real Madrid supporters. Manchester United have only won it twice, just as many as powerhouse Nottingham Forrest (who suck now obviously but actually had a reasonably good team in the late seventies).

[/ QUOTE ]

MAN U have won more league titles and FA Cups then Liverpool. Of all of the english teams liverpool would be the yankees of euro competition. In fact there is no comparison to the yankees in england. Because no one team has dominated over the course of history. IN the 90s it was Man U, 80s Liverpool & Everton, late 70s Forresst, most of teh 70s, Liverpool, see what I'm saying

PokerFink
05-26-2005, 01:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

MAN U have won more league titles and FA Cups then Liverpool.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure about FA cups, but I know that Liverpool have won more English championships than ManU by a score of 18-12.

PokerFink
05-26-2005, 01:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not many.

Of their main players, the only ones I can think of are Gerrard and Carragher. I think Finnan is too.

partygirluk
05-26-2005, 09:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not many.

Of their main players, the only ones I can think of are Gerrard and Carragher. I think Finnan is too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Finnan is Irish.

Another reason to feel proud to be English (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050526/325/fju21.html)

tbach24
05-26-2005, 09:46 AM
How does the FA cup work? I've had it explained to me like 10 times by my British relatives but I still don't understand.

partygirluk
05-26-2005, 09:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How does the FA cup work? I've had it explained to me like 10 times by my British relatives but I still don't understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anybody can enter into it. They play each other knockout until 1 team is left. The better teams enter later on it the tournament (the top flight teams enter in the round of 128). So in theory I could be playing against Man Utd in it next year.

jdl22
05-26-2005, 10:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anybody can enter into it. They play each other knockout until 1 team is left. The better teams enter later on it the tournament (the top flight teams enter in the round of 128). So in theory I could be playing against Man Utd in it next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to add a bit, they play one match at one team's stadium and whichever team wins this goes through to the next round. If they draw there is a second leg in the other team's stadium. If that match ends in a draw they go to extra time and penalties if necesary.

Also the bit about amateurs playing against top flight teams is highly possible. In 2000 in the French Cup (same basic idea) a team of amateurs made it all the way to the final, losing in a reasonably close match.

superleeds
05-26-2005, 10:45 AM
/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Marching on together /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

GtrHtr
05-26-2005, 10:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Tonight, I feel proud to be English

[/ QUOTE ]

You're talking about Liverpool FC?????

JK, great match and fun to watch.

Jumpers for goalposts....

pokerjo22
05-26-2005, 12:08 PM
Thought this thread would be about the Spice Girls /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Clarkmeister
05-26-2005, 12:15 PM
I don't know that I've ever felt "proud to be an American" because of a sporting event.

[censored]
05-26-2005, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know that I've ever felt "proud to be an American" because of a sporting event.

[/ QUOTE ]

How close would the Miracle On Ice come?

pokerjo22
05-26-2005, 12:20 PM
Would that be because we only play ourselves in major sporting events?

Toro
05-26-2005, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree except for the 1980 USA "Miracle on Ice" Hockey Team. The semi final game against the Russian's gave me goose bumps.

Toro
05-26-2005, 01:02 PM
They were talking about this game on the WEEI sports talk morning show today and that's something because Soccer talk usually isn't tolerated. The 3-0 lead at the half was said to be comparable to an NFL team being down 28-0 at the half. I suspect though, that's it's even more impressive than that because of the dearth of scoring in the sport.

jstnrgrs
05-26-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So the "most amazing game ever" was decided on penalty shots? This is why I hate this game.

They should have kept playing (for hours if nessessary).

PokerFink
05-26-2005, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They were talking about this game on the WEEI sports talk morning show today and that's something because Soccer talk usually isn't tolerated. The 3-0 lead at the half was said to be comparable to an NFL team being down 28-0 at the half. I suspect though, that's it's even more impressive than that because of the dearth of scoring in the sport.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being down 3-0 to AC Milan at the half is more like being down 35-0 to the Ravens or Bucs (back in their heyday) at the half.

The comeback is comparable to the ridiculous comback the Colts had against the Bucs on MNF two years ago.

PokerFink
05-26-2005, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

So the "most amazing game ever" was decided on penalty shots? This is why I hate this game.

They should have kept playing (for hours if nessessary).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is simply NOT POSSIBLE in soccer. Teams only get three substitutions, and they usually use them all in regulation. After 120 minutes (the allotted overtime), the players are half dead.

One of the Liverpool players, I believe Gerrard, was quoted saying that the team had no legs and was playing for penalties because no one could run by the end of it.

Using penalties is no less fair than forcing players who are at 10% to keep playing. It's also less dangerous.

jdl22
05-29-2005, 01:06 AM
Just watched the match, unbelievable.

Incredible game by Steven Gerrard.

Once question, there have been several mentions of Liverpool getting to keep the cup as they've won a fifth. In 2000 I visited Liverpool and went to Anfield. Doing a tour there is a Liverpool FC museum. In this museum unless I'm making up memories I remember seeing 4 European Cup trophies. Were those some kind of fake trophies or what?

blaze666
05-29-2005, 05:28 AM
in britain, we call soccor football. the last game i saw (and best) was man utd Vs bayern munich in the treble. that was a spectacular match.i have never been interested in football at all that much.

Bez
05-29-2005, 07:10 AM
Teams always get replicates made for when they have to return the real trophy so yes, they are fakes.