PDA

View Full Version : My demon hands............

Hotchile
12-13-2002, 05:57 AM
JJ, TT, 99, 88. JJ especially. These hands obviously lose a lot of value in lower limit games. Raising the blinds out of the hand is rarely successful. Is it often correct to play these hands more like a small pair in the low limit environment? At what point in terms of #of callers do these hands no longer warrant a raise?

Larry

Ulysses
12-13-2002, 06:25 AM
I'll raise with these hands if I'm opening in any position. If only 1 has limped to me in cutoff or on the button, I'll raise. If there's more than 1 limper to me anywhere, I'll probably limp with these hands.

cybertilt
12-13-2002, 10:24 AM
Other way around Larry. I will raise JJ, TT from middle position on, any number. However with 99 or 88 I want at least 4-5 players in and you want to get in cheap and out fast if you don't hit. 88 is very marginal and you want as many players as possible so that when you do hit you get paid off big.

Ulysses
12-13-2002, 02:30 PM
Raising the blinds out of the hand is rarely successful

I just re-read the message and noticed that line. Given that, I'd probably always limp w/ 88 and 99. TT & JJ I'll raise if opening or 1 limper, probably limp w/ 2 or more limpers.

ResidentParanoid
12-13-2002, 02:49 PM
I'll usually raise the JJ, almost anywhere. Have to be able throw it away when overcard hits, you have no draws and someone likes it.

I usually just call with the others with a few limpers, although TT can be worth raise. Again, have to toss it if you don't hit the flop for a set or draw, when overcards are there.

Hotchile
12-14-2002, 03:18 PM
thank for your replies. I think I have picked up the habit of playing these hands too aggressively. I have been raising as an opener with all of these hands which I now realize, in the low limit environment, is a huge mistake. It is common to find the worst case scenario with these hands. 3 callers, poor position and little way of knowing where I am in the hand. I guess the moral of the story is to be a little more selective with my aggression.

Thanks again.

Larry

spitball
12-14-2002, 03:20 PM
Sklansky has stressed repeatedly how important hand-reading skills are. with the holdings you site, I think those skills are extremely important, especially JJ and TT. those two are very difficult hands to play well multi-way post-flop. ask yourself what your opponant thinks you have when he's betting into you after you raised pre-flop.

spitball