PDA

View Full Version : VP$IP

lezboagogo
05-25-2005, 06:30 PM
What is a winning percentage? I put my hand history on pokergrader and it said to play more hands. The average saw flop at the tables Ive been playing at is around 26 - 29. My VP$IP is around 12. Any suggestions? Should I really play more hands. I really can't see doing this.

sin808
05-25-2005, 07:45 PM
16-20 is a fairly normal range for full ring games (for lower limits anyway). If your at 12% you are either getting crap for cards to play, or are a rock, that may not be positionally aware, and that's causing you to miss out on some profitable hands. Even using the tight starting hands chart from SSH will put you in the 16-20 range. I'm sure someone here could probably tell you almost exactly what it would be using that chart. I know it's been discussed in the past.

lezboagogo
05-25-2005, 07:55 PM
Im not sure SSH starting hands would apply. The games have too much raising and not enough limpers. With only about three of us seeing the flop. I was more concerend with middle limits like 5/10 and 10/20 . And my position stats are changing. I get up to about 18 percent by the time I get to the button. Maybe Im too tight post flop?

LargeCents
05-25-2005, 08:24 PM
VP$IP can fluctuate quite a bit based on table conditions. Are you using any standardized charts such as SSHE charts? I tend to linger around 18% so far using the SSHE charts. But, I get off the table if it gets too short handed or aggressive.

If you are playing mid-limits, use the charts in HEFAP. I don't have data from when I was using those charts, but those might be a better fit for the games you are playing.

sin808
05-25-2005, 09:44 PM
If the games are that aggressive then it would make sense that it's lower, since you wouldn't have the opportunity to play as many hands.
The advice and recommendations in SSH aren't limit specific though so it may be a useful reference to check your pf play against. If the games you are playing in don't fit that mold then referencing something like HEPFAP might be useful.
It's handy to revisit and retool every so often to make sure you haven't fallen into any bad habits that are causing you to miss opportunities (isolation plays, blind steals, etc).
<insert post hands and other standard advice here>

lezboagogo
05-26-2005, 11:43 AM
I went over my starting hands with HAP in hand. They were pretty much there. I didn't miss many. I think the people who are talking about having 18% and above might be at the 50/1 table at party. I played a few games there to check it out and my vp% went way up. I don't think I can use the SSH cart because that is more for loose passive games. Thanks for the advice. I think Im going to stick with being tight for now. Im just always looking for any way to get more off the tables /images/graemlins/smile.gif Im really starting to think its my post flop play that needs to change. Thats where all the chips come from anyways right !

eleventy
05-26-2005, 11:49 AM
Are all lezbo's this tight? It will take more than good hand selection to loosen you up.

Sorry couldn't resist.

lezboagogo
05-26-2005, 06:47 PM
lol! gotta start somewhere

wayabvpar
05-26-2005, 07:45 PM
If 12% VPIP is close to ideal in your games, you might look for some looser, less aggressive (read: easier) games to play. There are a lot of hands that can be played profitably at a 'typical' table that would raise your VPIP (and almost assuredly your BB/hr) if you can find the right situations to apply them.

Tight aggressive games just aren't going to be as profitable. They are still beatable in many cases, but more money can be made with less effort in greener pastures /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Best thing to do is to post a few hands that you found interesting/confusing and discuss them with the masses here.

BigBaitsim (milo)
05-26-2005, 09:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I went over my starting hands with HAP in hand. They were pretty much there. I didn't miss many. I think the people who are talking about having 18% and above might be at the 50/1 table at party. I played a few games there to check it out and my vp% went way up. I don't think I can use the SSH cart because that is more for loose passive games. Thanks for the advice. I think Im going to stick with being tight for now. Im just always looking for any way to get more off the tables /images/graemlins/smile.gif Im really starting to think its my post flop play that needs to change. Thats where all the chips come from anyways right !

[/ QUOTE ]

Play more hands.

Work on your table selection.

GeeeJay
05-27-2005, 12:48 PM
I've done exhaustive studiy on the statistics for micro limit games (.50/1.00 etc.) After feeding hundreds of thousands of hands into one of the best statistical packages available I have found that the level at which the most money is made is just under 30. I was a stat major in college so I have confidence in my findings.

George

pipster
05-27-2005, 03:33 PM
I ran at about 26-27% VP$IP over 10K hands at $0.50/1.00 and was a 5+ BB/hr winner. At 2/4 I am down to about the standard 20/10 line that seems popular (closer to 20/8 but working on pre-flop situational aggression). I really think 12% is just to tight even at aggressive tables. How tight really *IS* 12%? Is that basically AK, AQ, Pockets 10 or higher and that is it? Heck.. those are my RAISING hands and make up about 8-10% of my hands...

GoodOL
05-28-2005, 11:32 PM
Have you done similar studies for higher limits?