PDA

View Full Version : Funny Craigslist Post

slickpoppa
05-25-2005, 02:47 PM
link (http://blankethog.blogspot.com/2005/05/ditching-by-dutch.html)

Sorry if this has been posted before, but it's pretty funny:

When I did my taxes this year I found out that I spent over $14,000 on Dates last year. Most of that was spent on dinner and drinks in Manhattan. Now don't get me wrong, I had some very good times, some great sex, some good conversations. Hell, I even made a good friend along the way, but mainly I came away from the date feeling extremely disappointed and with a lighter wallet. Date by date it's not THAT much money but it all adds up fast!

In the past I had a habit of always grabbing the check and paying whether my date was hot or not. Whether we clicked or not. Basically I felt ashamed to let her pay. I also kept and interesting statistic and even I was suprised that only 5% of my dates even offered to pay - yes you see that right- 5%! One girl in the entire year offered to pay for the entire check. A very nice gesture. But of course I paid and doubt she was sincere. In light of all this evidence I knew I had to change some things. So, this year.....

I DECIDED TO NEVER PAY FOR A FIRST DATE AGAIN. How did I do this? First I adopted the mindset that a girl should naturally assume she's paying for herself. Now this wasn't easy at first but I quickly got used to it. Then when going into the bar/restuarant/lounge etc. I would hand the server a credit card and ask them to open tabs for us. HEY!-Did you catch that? I said 'TABS.' Yah, don't worry at least 95% of the girls I meet miss that one too. Just to make sure I usually confirm that the server has understood me too. I do this when the date rudely answers her cell phone or is in the bathroom (probably using her cell phone). Guys, you know the Mastercard "priceless" series of commercials? Well, let me tell you, you won't understand the meaning of 'priceless' until you see one of these girls handed their own check for 3 20$ martinis and overpriced food (that they would probably never buy on their own). It's also very relaxing to encourage the girl to eat and drink up because even at 20$ a pop for exotic gooey blender drinks I could care less how many of them she has - cause SHE'S PAYING.

Oddly enough when she realizes that there are individual bills there will a few prolonged moments of discomfort. But don't panic. Something that took me by surprise is how many girls suddenly have to 'go to an ATM'. I can't quite figure out if it's because their cc's are maxed out on shoe purchases or that they are trying to guilt me into paying. Well, probably a combination of both, but I'm remorseless after doing this for nearly 3 months now. Which brings me to my date last night...... omg.....

Of course the classy nice Irish pub I suggested wasn't good enough for her. Nah...she needed to to go somewhere more trendy. Ok, no problem. W? Hudson? Meatpacking Dist? SoHo? Where we going? So she picks a midtown hotel bar. Nice place. Little stuffy. Drinks, not bad and Macadamia nuts on the lounge tables (complimentary) nice! Of course I went thru my usual routine, handed the server a credit card asked her if we can start tabs she said, 'sure' and took the card. 1 drink in her cell phone rang. She appoligized, (she had to get it). So I moved into confirmation mode. Our waitress even missed the 'tabs' part but she adjusted on the fly and told me no problem. Boy, let me tell you - the girl i was with could really throw down the drinks. She was drinking scotch that was older than the hotel we were in. Of course I encouraged her the whole way. She was like, wow they have Johny Walker BLUE label! I was like, 'you ever try it?' She's like....'Nooooooo!!!' I'm like, 'go on....just get some'. She's like 'are you sure'. I'm like, 'look, if you want it, just get it!' So she ordered one, then another, and finally one more..... wow she was probably more than a little drunk. I stuck to my Stoli and Soda, splash of Cran.

When the BILL(S) came she sobered up fast. I caught a glimpse of hers, 5 drinks plus a little finger food $319.00 I think it was. She looked shocked and sick to her stomache when she saw 2 bills. Guess she thought I was buying. Think again. (The old me woulda soaked up the bill but steared her away from the Blue) I had 4 drinks, no food and a great buzz. Pricey Stoli, but overall still a good value (i ate a ton of free macadamias and almonds) $36.00. Damn I thought, that BLUE label will get you every time. Of course she did more than the traditional fumble through her purse. Her face was beat red and she was speechless. She left the bill on the table and excused herself for the restroom. I had already paid and was sucking on some ice. The waitress was looking concerned. I told her, 'look'. Sure enough my date was heading out toward the front door. I slowly grabbed my coat as the waitress ran after her. Then security or a bellman grabbed her at the door and a small shouting match ensued. Can you imagine, she was trying to leave - without paying!

Well, I didn't stick around to see what happened. All I saw was the poor waitress standing just inside the front door with a small coctail tray. She did look concerned but not paniced. A doorman and bell hop had the girl by the arm, outside and was semi-forcing her back inside, she wasn't getting away from this bill. I paid my bill. I had my receipt. But I couldn't help wondering why she ordered 3 Johnny Walker Blues, doesn't she know that [censored] is expensive? Then I wondered if they had to arrest her while I had another drink at my local Irish pub.

I haven't heard from her again. Too bad, she was pretty cute too /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Boris
05-25-2005, 02:54 PM
haha! classic.

Duke
05-25-2005, 03:04 PM
What a dipshit.

~D

RunDownHouse
05-25-2005, 03:57 PM
Completely a dick thing to do. By saying, "Sure, get whatever," instead of something like, "Get whatever, its your money," he's pretty clearly implying he's going to pick up the bill. This is reinforced when he waits until the date is gone to make sure the waitress knows to make two tabs.

Sponger15SB
05-25-2005, 06:52 PM
obviously this guy is a pathetic loser. he spends $14k on dates and then decides to not pay again.... no wonder he is still single.

Sponger15SB
05-25-2005, 06:52 PM
obviously this guy is a pathetic loser. he spends $14k on dates and then decides to not pay again.... no wonder he is still single.

Dr. Strangelove
05-25-2005, 07:14 PM

Boris
05-25-2005, 07:15 PM
We heard you the first time. And even though the guy's a loser, the story is still funny.

2+2 wannabe
05-25-2005, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagree - the guy has self-esteem (how many of you would do that time after time after time)

girls always run up the tab when they're not paying - but i don't have the balls to do what he did. clearly if he's going on dates he's not a complete loser.

btw, he's still spending money on the dates - just not on the girl.

Joe826
05-25-2005, 07:22 PM
haha. that was a funny story. i just don't see how this guy is going to ever get laid again. then again, i guess i don't really care that much.

KJS
05-25-2005, 07:28 PM
My wife often comments how much better the world would be if there were no cheap people. Imagine if everyone was generous. Instead of counting their pennies they were more free with their money, like many people already are. I don't mean on a macro-scale, just in person-to-person interactions, or in regards to tipping.

This guy helps prove that we'd all be better off without cheap b**tards around.

KJS

Dr. Strangelove
05-25-2005, 07:33 PM
Women too?

disjunction
05-25-2005, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
girls always run up the tab when they're not paying

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this really true? I've almost never gone out on a date where the girl hasn't offered to pay. Often when there's nothing going on and they're not interested, they insist on paying. Last night I went out for coffee, I was at the counter and asked if she wanted anything, she said no, then 5 minutes later she got up and said "I changed my mind, wait here...".

Conversely, the ones that are actually interested let me pay. Is this unusual? Women do a lot of mean things, but being unfair with the bill isn't one of them...

jedi
05-25-2005, 07:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagree - the guy has self-esteem (how many of you would do that time after time after time)

girls always run up the tab when they're not paying - but i don't have the balls to do what he did. clearly if he's going on dates he's not a complete loser.

[/ QUOTE ]

So why the hell does he have to be so sneaky about confirming that it's separate tabs when the girl's distracted? Why can't he be a man and say it upfront?

Tron
05-25-2005, 07:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So why the hell does he have to be so sneaky about confirming that it's separate tabs when the girl's distracted? Why can't he be a man and say it upfront?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously because he's bitter and he's enjoying this.

Ulysses
05-25-2005, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i just don't see how this guy is going to ever get laid again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is the case w/ this guy, but some of the guys I know who have the most success w/ women (not in terms of quality relationships, just in terms of hooking up) have policies just like this, where they tell women they won't pay, they won't be exclusive, and they don't want to waste their time w/ a chick if she's not into having casual sex very quickly. Dominic reminded me of some of these guys in a post recently where he said a chick is not sleeping in his bed if they aren't going to have sex, period. The big difference between the guys I'm thinking of and this guy is that those guys are very upfront to the girls about the fact that they aren't picking up the tab, while this guy approaches it like his stupid little trick.

2+2 wannabe
05-25-2005, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

is she assuming that the guy is supposed to be paying? if not he doesn't have to (she assumes she'll be paying) - if she assumes that the guy is paying that is her fault (she shouldn't be assuming that). this is the point of his venture.

2+2 wannabe
05-25-2005, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Women do a lot of mean things, but being unfair with the bill isn't one of them...

[/ QUOTE ]

i think that the guy is talking about the women that he's not really interested in, but has to pick up the bill for them even when they're not going to do anything again. i could be wrong though.

girls know right away whether they're gonna see you again - and some that know they won't see you again don't have qualms spending your money during the date.

like i said i couldn't do this, but he's not being an ass - he's just taking a stand against soceity (which is weird but whatever)

The Goober
05-25-2005, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
like i said i couldn't do this, but he's not being an ass

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy is definately being an ass. If you read the story she basically asked him if he minded buying her such an expensive drink ("are you sure?") and he said yes. I've got nothing wrong with making a date pay her own way, but tricking this poor girl like and thinking its funny - I think is in indication of some sort of unhealthy hatred of women.

kurosh
05-25-2005, 08:07 PM
There's a difference between not paying for your date and being a complete dick about it. Not paying for your date is fine - this is not. He should make it clear from the beginning that he's not paying for her or at the very least, not egg her on and imply he's paying for her. What a dick.

gorie
05-25-2005, 08:23 PM
funny story, but that guy is a major jerk (and not because he won't pay).

gorie
05-25-2005, 08:26 PM
also, if you don't realize you're spending $14k/yr on dating until you do your taxes, it's not the girls fault you're an idiot with no ability to budget your money.

jedi
05-25-2005, 08:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

the guy has self-esteem

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Obviously because he's bitter and he's enjoying this.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

jedi
05-25-2005, 08:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

is she assuming that the guy is supposed to be paying? if not he doesn't have to (she assumes she'll be paying) - if she assumes that the guy is paying that is her fault (she shouldn't be assuming that). this is the point of his venture.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) If he asked her out, it's a date and she should expect that he pays for it.

2) If he didn't ask her out, but it's a mutual set-up or blind date type of thing, then why does he have to be so sneaky about telling the waitress that it's separate checks?

kerssens
05-25-2005, 08:30 PM
I don't think the girl has ever not offered to pay for something on a first date. Usually if I pick up dinner she'll buy a drink or two for me.

Oski
05-25-2005, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
funny story, but that guy is a major jerk (and not because he won't pay).

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet its just a story.

I find it hard to believe that a bartender or server would think it was on the "up and up" when the guy secretly informs them (and later makes clear in private) that there are going to be two separate checks.

If so, how come nobody asked the date to hold her tab with a credit card?

Legally, this guy would likely eat the whole check and there is nothing that could be done to the girl. Think about it. What if you took a penniless pauper to lunch at a nice restaurant then informed them you were only giving him a ride, but never offered to pay for the meal.

Wow, hilarity would ensue and the guy walks away from the arguing bum and restaurant staff!

The story is a crock of sh!t and is wishful thinking. The guy is so clueless that he doesn't realize that if his wish were to come true, it would make him a giant d!ckhead (not that he's not already).

TimM
05-25-2005, 08:31 PM
There's a good chance this story is made up or very exagerated.

But if true, she really was pretty shameless to run up a $300+ bill on a first date, even if she thought the guy didn't mind.

KJS
05-25-2005, 08:32 PM
Everyone. Both of these people would be GONE.

KJS

heavybody
05-25-2005, 09:44 PM
Bingo.... I agree with you that he would be liable for the bill as it was his card. Total bullshit