PDA

View Full Version : I can't remember the last time I made a laydown like this...

CieloAzor
05-25-2005, 02:35 PM
Hey, I'm a very successful tournament player, but I can't seem to get the hang of cash games. I keep dipping my toes in, but my results haven't been great. I play up to 2/4 at times, but I figured the small stakes forum was the place to go with this one.

PokerStars Game #1765061936: Hold'em No Limit ($0.25/$0.50) - 2005/05/25 - 13:58:17 (ET)
Table 'Neujmina' Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: datrader ($32.65 in chips)
Seat 2: josh_lederer ($4.25 in chips)
Seat 3: master lenwe ($20.95 in chips)
Seat 4: Cash15k ($35.75 in chips)
Seat 5: EliteAces ($18.25 in chips)
Seat 6: botta ($17.75 in chips)
Seat 7: CieloAzor ($32.75 in chips)
Seat 8: Musky Junky ($24.55 in chips)
Seat 9: IontzX ($55.10 in chips)
CieloAzor: posts small blind $0.25
Musky Junky: posts big blind $0.50
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to CieloAzor [8h Ad]
IontzX: calls $0.50
datrader: calls $0.50
josh_lederer: folds
master lenwe: folds
Cash15k: calls $0.50
EliteAces: folds
botta: folds
CieloAzor: calls $0.25
Musky Junky: checks
*** FLOP *** [6h 3s 8c]
CieloAzor: bets $1.50
Musky Junky: calls $1.50
IontzX: folds
datrader: calls $1.50
Cash15k: folds
*** TURN *** [6h 3s 8c] [Qc]
CieloAzor: checks
Musky Junky: checks
datrader: bets $3
CieloAzor: calls $3
Musky Junky: folds
*** RIVER *** [6h 3s 8c Qc] [Ah]
CieloAzor: bets $6
datrader: raises $11 to $17
CieloAzor: folds

I really didn't feel like he was bluffing here. In my mind, he definitely believed he had the best hand and was raising for value. What kind of range do you put him on here? Is this almost always a call?

If you have issues with any other street, feel free to straighten me out. I think every play I made could be argued.

Results to follow.

TheWorstPlayer
05-25-2005, 02:39 PM
Bet the turn. They can call with a lot worse than A8 and you should protect your hand. If you are raised after showing aggression on two streets, fold. But it is unlikely that Q hit anyone. What hands call the flop and contain a Q?

Tim H
05-25-2005, 02:40 PM
fold pf

CieloAzor
05-25-2005, 02:49 PM
I figured somebody would say bet the turn. I pretty much agree there. I would've bet the turn on most occasions. As for which hands he might've called the flop bet with...I wouldn't have been too shocked if he called me with KQ or AQ.

Folding preflop I don't like. I'm getting half price in an unraised pot. If you have any faith in your ability to know where you are in a hand, there's no reason to muck A8 for half a blind.

TheWorstPlayer
05-25-2005, 02:56 PM
If they called with AQ and hit their three outer, fine. But they are much more likely to have called with 89, 97, 45, etc. So bet the turn.

Tim H
05-25-2005, 03:10 PM
except you seem to not know where you are in the hand, plus you are out of position and it's gonna cost you more than 1/2 a bet to find out where you are in the hand.

CieloAzor
05-25-2005, 07:20 PM
Well, thanks for the advice. I tend not to fold anything in the SB though, assuming nobody raised. I'm fairly comfortable with junk hands, because I find myself playing my opponent more than my cards on most occasions.

So anyway, I checked the turn, not because I assumed the Q had beaten me, but because I wanted to see if my opponent bet and what kind of bet he'd make. I feel like I get a better feel for where he is when I check it to him, and it can keep the pot smaller in a marginal situation.

I was correct that he thought he had me beat. He told me I made a good laydown...and then he told me had A8. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

In his position, I would've folded preflop.

theredpill5
05-25-2005, 07:31 PM
I don't understand how you can be extremely successful at tournaments but not in cash games. If you are successful at those, why not 4 table the $20s and make like $2000/month or something which most people seem to be doing at the single table forum.

TrailofTears
05-25-2005, 10:05 PM
I think this laydown is bad, as the hand played out. I think it it much more likely that the river raise is from a lesser aces up than from AQ or a set. I call here for sure.

-T

Irishfly
05-26-2005, 12:06 AM
Call it down. I think he knows you have and 8 and is gonna use an Ace as a scarecard whether he has it or not. You beat every Ace but AQ.

Da Fly

webmonarch
05-26-2005, 12:10 AM
Personally, for as little as he bets, I call it. He probably has a Qx two pair or something. Personally, I don't mind the check on the turn. In fact, I think the fact that he bets on that Q gives you some good information there.

Bottom line, this is a guaranteed call for me. You lose, you lose, but your hand is hardly a sure loser here. I think it's at least 50% to win.