PDA

View Full Version : limit SNG's

chopchoi
05-25-2005, 02:29 PM
I recently started playing limit SNG's for a change of pace. I've played about 25, and am having a really good run, finishing ITM about 2/3 of the time. I know I can't expect to maintain this long term, but still, I figured I'd share what I think I've learned thus far, just to open the topic up for discussion.

In the later stages of these tournaments, the game is all about bluffing. Sure, it is nice to get paid off when you have a hand, but the majority of the time you won't, so you need to be able to take down pots with bluffs. Likewise, you want your opponents to believe that they cannot bluff you.
The best way to accomplish this goal is to build the image of a calling station early on. Unlike nl sng's, you don't have any risk of going broke early on, so you want to play several pots the first 2-3 rounds. Never raise pf without aa-qq or ak. that way your opponents will respect your pf raises when it counts. never raise after the flop with less than top pair top kicker. and even then you might want to just call. you want your opponents to respect the hell out of your raises. be willing to call down with a weak hand or two, and never bluff unless you are 99% sure you can pull it off.
First impressions make for lasting impressions, and once your opponents lable you as a calling station, this image will be hard to shake.
I play at stars, where you start with 1,500 chips, and I am generally willing to invest about 1/5 of my stack into building this image. here's an example:
I limp in from MP with J8s. I casll for 20. T5 players see the flop. he flop is A,T,8r. It checks around to the button, who bets 20 chips , an EP player calls, and so do I. turn, a 3. Button bets 40 chips, ep folds, I call. River, Q. I check to button, he bets, I call and show my hand. I just lost 120 chips, but the my observant opponents (and those are the ones who will most likely survive) are going to be very reluctant to try to bluff me in the later, more expensive rounds.