PDA

View Full Version : When the starting stack is small

beekeeper
05-25-2005, 01:17 PM
I've read that in a tournament, the starting stack should be around 50 x the big blind. I am a relative beginner. In the regular games I've found, our starting stack is generally around $1,500 (in chips) with beginning blinds of $25/$50, doubling every 10-20 minutes. In these circumstances, two misplayed hands or bad beats and I can find myself short stacked. Consequently, I find myself tightening up on my starting hand requirements. I also find it difficult to make many of the moves that I've been reading about--especially playing mediocre hands when players have limped and I'm in late position, or following up on raises when the flop misses me. I feel like I'm too tight, but if I am not catching any cards early, it seems my play is dictated to me. I should also add my impression that, because I'm a woman, it seems that no matter what someone will call me. The regulars give me some respect, but there's always new players, and they invariably call me until I "prove" myself.
Any suggestions on what adjustments I can make to my starting hand requirements, considering these circumstances, or any advice on misconceptions I am making?
Also, any advice on reading for how to play post flop?
THanks

swolfe
05-25-2005, 01:29 PM
three things:
- try adding some white space or bullet points to your post
- if you're asking about tournament play, try one of the tournament forums
- your question is awfully close to "how do i play poker?"

beekeeper
05-25-2005, 02:40 PM
points well taken, thanks