PDA

View Full Version : min-raising medium suited connectors from early position: Discuss.

theordinaryboy
05-25-2005, 01:04 PM
I have been experimenting recently with min-raising or sometimes 3xbb raising hands like J10s, 97s 89s etc...

i only do this on say level 3-5 and i obviously fold to re-raises.

i play on stars so maybe this would not work for party with half the chips to play with.

it can work quite well sometimes as you get paid off on lucky flops like 994 or 568 etc. Also when a rag flop does come down many callers with 44-88 bet or raise me thinking i have ak/aq etc and have missed the flop. Also because its an early position raise i often just pick up the blinds which helps build my stack as well.

Any thoughts on this play? Feel free to berate me all you want.

jwg152
05-25-2005, 01:09 PM
What is your play when you raise in EP with J10s, get called by two players, and the flop is 5 J 2 (rainbow)? Assuming you lead the flop, what is your play if you get raised?

Rosencrantz1
05-25-2005, 01:13 PM
I think the problem with this is really that unless you flop a monster or completely 100% miss the flop AND see action, you're left with extremely tough desicions going forward. I think playing these cards is probably long-term -EV unless your post-flop play is truly superlative (or unless you are a serious, highly-trained luckbox ;-))

zambonidrivr
05-25-2005, 01:15 PM
i only like getting involved with these hands in multi-way action, as the price on the money is so great.

syka16
05-25-2005, 01:21 PM
I think even in T1500 sngs, you should still play pretty tight and pass up on raising SCs from EP. If the table won't fold to continuation bets, then that leaves you with 1200 later on level 3, making it costly to call a raise with small pairs.

chopchoi
05-25-2005, 01:22 PM
Depends. If I'm at a tight table, where I think a min-raise from EP might steal the blinds, I'll do it, otherwise I'll limp or muck. I don't like going to 3x BB with a hand that weak from ep.
Also, I think level 3 is too early for it. I like it at level 4. At level 5, it depends on your stack, how short the table is, etc. etc.